Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: UPnP MediaRenderer output | discussion (Read 238726 times) previous topic - next topic

UPnP MediaRenderer output | discussion

Reply #25
For those with problems such as "does not work" - can I suggest that you try the foo_upnp component?

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_upnp

This component has a gazillion options and individual options for different upnp clients. If you experiment with this component you will discover what works and what does not with your upnp client. Then you will be able to provide better information for problem diagnosis. As I said earlier, Peter's component appears to be streaming only - and maybe your client does not support this?

Actually I'm using the foo_upnp component and I like the multiple options you can configure. Only minor point for me with this plug-in is that I can not use my iPad to control what I stream. I have to use the pc. This is why I love the option to select a UPNP device as output.

If this would work then I can abandon iTunes completely.

PS As requested above - foo_upnp does support transcoding.

Great ! Could you explain how it works ? Unless you mean the foo_upnp I'm already using...

Reply #26
Yes - I mean using the current foo_upnp:

File > Preferences > Tools > UPnP > Server > Streaming Profiles

Options for Transcoding to MP3 - and Playback Stream Capture to MP3

Reply #27
I may miss the point : why build this component as the excellent foo_upnp component already exists with many more capabilities ?

Reply #28
I may miss the point : why build this component as the excellent foo_upnp component already exists with many more capabilities ?

1. This is many degrees simpler and more specific to use than the foo_upnp renderer.

2. If this can be dependably used with most devices without issue, parts of it could be integrated into the core, which could then be exposed to other components via API.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #29

1. This is many degrees simpler and more specific to use than the foo_upnp renderer.

2. If this can be dependably used with most devices without issue, parts of it could be integrated into the core, which could then be exposed to other components via API.

It also has a huge benefit for users of foo_remote: once the renderer is selected as an output, you can use your ipad with Apple Remote app to control what you play on your network renderer (otherwise, with foo_upnp, you can only control what plays on the output device, which is typically your PC).

Reply #30
@Peter

I take you my feedback on use your component.

Scenario:

PC WIN7 2b
Foobar 1.2
UPnP MRO 1. beta 3

Ampli Yamaha RX-V1067

Turn on my ampli and select the PC input

In foobar select Playback -->Output--> Device --> RX-V1067

Play a song in foobar.

No errors show
The timeline increase
The peak meter not work

On the TV the ampli recognise the incoming data and show "the player"
After 15 seconds of silence "the player" disapper.

On PC foobar continues to play the song.

Reply #31
thanks for response. Ok, I guess a less functional solution can always be called simpler to use

Upnp streaming is not as universal at it claims to be. Make it work with many devices is a challenge. Bubblegumm spent a lot of time and energy into that for foo_upnp. Hope Peter will do the same.

The side benefit seems to be that output device selection is now exposed in the foobar API.

@bsauvage: switch to android  with upnp control app, you can select the media server (foo_upnp for example) and the renderer (your upnp player of choice). You control the playback from the app. These apps act as universal upnp remote.
foo_remote is a simple remote control for foobar. It benefits from the output device selection now available.

What would really be fun and new, is to be able to play music in scync on multiple Upnp players at the same time.

Reply #32
Hello Peter,

first of all many thx for your great job on foobar.

I installed the MRO. But I couldn't find any new device under Playback -> Outout -> Device.
I don't know what's going wrong.

W7 - SP1 - ...

Greetings

bkh

Reply #33
thanks for response. Ok, I guess a less functional solution can always be called simpler to use

Upnp streaming is not as universal at it claims to be. Make it work with many devices is a challenge. Bubblegumm spent a lot of time and energy into that for foo_upnp. Hope Peter will do the same.

The side benefit seems to be that output device selection is now exposed in the foobar API.

@bsauvage: switch to android  with upnp control app, you can select the media server (foo_upnp for example) and the renderer (your upnp player of choice). You control the playback from the app. These apps act as universal upnp remote.
foo_remote is a simple remote control for foobar. It benefits from the output device selection now available.

What would really be fun and new, is to be able to play music in scync on multiple Upnp players at the same time.

Thanks for the suggestion, maybe I should consider...  ....
Meanwhile, I hope the next version will bring compatibility improvements!

Reply #34
Just tried this with my TV for kicks. It's a Panasonic 42GT50. It works and the TV switches to playback, however after maybe 10 seconds it stops and just switches back to the TV as if it's stopped receiving audio or something?

Reply #35
anyone managed to use this with foo_upnp as a player on another pc running foobar ?

Reply #36
I tried with my TV Bravia 46HX850 as render, work very good, but only can stream/play MP3 files, FLAC do not work (TV native can't read this format) but would be nice to add something to transcode/encode in fly to MP3.

Reply #37
With beta3 volume control doesn't work anymore with the Yamaha RX-V3067. Instead of changing the volume accordingly, any click on + or - sets it to the lowest value.

Reply #38
Error with WD TV Live latest firmware.

I get the error: Unrecoverable playback error: UPnP device error: Invalid Arguments

How to solve this problem? With Foo_Upnp i can't get flac files to play. So i want to give Foo_out_upnp a try. Basicly it is just what i'm looking for.

Reply #39
I tried with my TV Bravia 46HX850 as render, work very good, but only can stream/play MP3 files, FLAC do not work (TV native can't read this format) but would be nice to add something to transcode/encode in fly to MP3.

I just tried with my Sony 55" HX853 & get following message:

"Unrecoverable playback error: UPnP device error: Action Failed"

If there is a setting on the TV responsible for this, I can't find it. Any ideas anyone ?

Reply #40

Yeah I use foo_upnp on foobar2000 on my desktop and bubbleupnp on my nexus 7, works perfectly

Reply #41
Peter, here's a weird one.

I recently switched from PC to Mac, and I'm trying to run foobar2000 in Wine/Crossover, a PC emulator within the mac.
I put foobar2000 within a windows Vista 'bottle' (i.e. an environment where vista programs are supposed to feel good).
Foobar2000 works like acharm, problem is with UPnP MediaRenderer Output: foo_out-upnp: it complains that it can only be run in vista, not xp... so something weird is happening here!

Do you have any clue ? You may not be willing to entertain fixing this, as the plugin is probably still a bit buggy, but just in case you keep a tab of stuff to fix, I hope one day it makes the cut...!

Thank you!

PS: despite being on a Mac now, I'd still like to use foobar2000 as it's the most versatile and powerful player out there, especially with all the plugins around!

Reply #42
Tested with a Bang & Olufsen BeoSound 5. Getting the following error:

Unrecoverable playback error: UPnP device error: No response

Reply #43
On my Yamaha RX-A820 with the latest firmware I get the following error when I try to start playback:

Unrecoverable playback error: UPnP device error: invalid server response

The consle also shows:

UPnP volume get failure: invalid server response

Foo_upnp works fine, but I would like the simplicity of just changing the output device.

Reply #44
Hello, I feel like needing help with sharing my foobar's library to my cell phone.
I have started both media server and renderer service but unfortunately don't know how to browse and play the library on connected device.
The phone seems to access shared drives per-file via LAN without problem but builtin player and Poweramp seem to only see phone's local storage, don't know if even possible see my PC's library from these players...
I leave Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service disabled because of this introduced occasional high CPU utilization in the past, don't know if this service is necessary for UPNP sharing functionality.

Reply #45
Is anyone actually reading the feedback in this thread?

Reply #46
I am sorry this probably should I ask in UPnP controller thread ^^

Reply #47
Is there a way to get this working over the internet? I have the pro version of bubbleupnp on my nexus 7, and I have bubbleupnp server running on my desktop pc, and am using no-ip for dynamic dns. I can access the music on my pc over the internet fine on my nexus 7, but I have no idea how (or if it will work) to get it to work with foobar.

Reply #48
Works fine here with foo_upnp on another machine but metadata is not available on the renderer (it does, including albumart, when i use foo_upnp as the controller). Is it normal ?

Reply #49
Thanks for all your feedback.
Is anyone actually reading the feedback in this thread?

I do read the thread, but I do not have the resources to help most of you guys at the moment as I do not have access to the problematic hardware models; only validated the renderer against all devices that I own.

Metadata forwarding is not currently supported (feature request acknowledged).
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.