Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Changing ID3v2.4 tags to v2.3 (Read 16783 times) previous topic - next topic

Changing ID3v2.4 tags to v2.3

To change ID3v2.4 tags to v2.3, I've used Mp3tag (config'd to write v2.3) to first write Ape tags, next delete the v2.4 tags, next write v2.3 tags, and then delete the Ape tags.

Is that really necessary?  I'm just trying to avoid any chance of tags getting corrupted by mistake.

Should I just delete the v2.4 tags first, then 'Undo' that (while it's set to write v2.3)?  I think remember reading something like that to change tag types for FLACs.

How about just re-saving (selecting all and Saving as-is)?  Does that actually just safely convert v2.4 to v2.3 (again, while configured to write just v2.3)?

Thanks! 
I want NBC's Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!

Reply #1
I myself did this a week ago. Go the the MP3Tag Options menu. Configure it such that it writes only ID3v2.3 tags only. Ensure that it is set to remove all unnecessary tag types. Load up your music in it, select all files and hit 'SAVE'. That should ideally do the trick.

However, you must first try this on a small batch of backed-up files to ensure that you don't end up breaking something. There, you have my disclaimer

Reply #2
With mp3tag I change Tagtype as follows:
  • Preferences > Tags > Mpeg > Read all/Write Id3v2.3 (and Id3v1)
  • Load files
  • Select all (Ctrl+A)
  • Cut Tags (Ctrl+X)
  • Paste Tags (Ctrl+V)
or use I Frontah:
  • Settings > Tagging > Advanced > Extensions > doubleklick on .mp3  and choose Tagtype.
  • Add Files with "Add Files" or "Add Folder" and select all files (Ctrl+A)
  • Filecontextmenu (rightclick on files) > Tagging > Convert/Update Tag Format

Reply #3
Thanks guys.

Reply #4
Out of curiosity, why use v2.3 tags? Are there still programs/devices that don't recognize v2.4?

Reply #5
Out of curiosity, why use v2.3 tags? Are there still programs/devices that don't recognize v2.4?

I'm not sure, but just in case...

Reply #6

Yes, my Cowon D2 for example is an EXCELLENT Digital Audio Player, but it doesn't like ID3v2.4 tags.

Reply #7
There are plenty.  Either total incompatibility, or varying levels of 'bugs'.  ID3v2.3 is the de facto standard, and even the maintainers of id3.org realize this on their front page.  If you want interoperability/compatibility, you use ID3v2.3.  Both informal standards are awful, of course. 

Reply #8

There are plenty.  Either total incompatibility, or varying levels of 'bugs'.  ID3v2.3 is the de facto standard, and even the maintainers of id3.org realize this on their front page.  If you want interoperability/compatibility, you use ID3v2.3.  Both informal standards are awful, of course. 
All my mp3 files are tagged with v2.3, but foobar2000 writes v2.4 so I'm thinking about switching although I really don't want to.

Reply #9
You're overdoing this in mp3tag.
All you need to do is set mp3tag to save id3v2.3 tags, load your mp3 files, and click save. (I load all files, sort by tag type, and highlight those files that have id3v2.4 tags, and just re-save them)
The re-saving will change the tag type.

@12345, Foobar2000 writes id3v2.4 tags by default, but can be changed to "id3v2 compatibility mode" (go to advanced --> tagging --> mp3). The compatibility mode is basically an id3v2.3. Slower than using mp3tag but it'll output files whose id3v2 tags are compatible with most programs.
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

Reply #10
You're overdoing this in mp3tag.
All you need to do is set mp3tag to save id3v2.3 tags, load your mp3 files, and click save. (I load all files, sort by tag type, and highlight those files that have id3v2.4 tags, and just re-save them)
The re-saving will change the tag type.

Thanks.  I was wondering if that was good/safe enough...