Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AMD Motherboards (Read 6856 times) previous topic - next topic

AMD Motherboards

Hey...can any one solve this is about the Manufacturing tech of ASUS M5A78L-M LE motherboard which supports 32nm CPUs. Is it compatible with the 45nm manufacturing tech of AMD Athlon X2 260 processors?

Thanks in advance.

AMD Motherboards

Reply #1
Though not a hardware expert, one thing strikes me: as totally different processes were used for their manufacturing, don't they actually have completely different processor sockets?
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

AMD Motherboards

Reply #2
The 45nm AM3 CPUs should all work just fine in an AM3+ motherboard; AM3+ boards are backward compatible to AM3 CPUs.

AM3 boards are not forward compatible with AM3+ CPUs.

So, the answer is yes.

You could email Asus to verify if you're especially paranoid.

AMD Motherboards

Reply #3
It's about the socket,  not the fab process. I replaced a 90nm CPU with a 65nm CPU on my Socket AM2 board (Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe).

The only issue I ran into was that the newer chip was AM2+ and came out after my board did,  so it needed a BIOS update to use it.

If I'm not mistaken,  Asus provided a list of compatible CPUs for the board on their web site, or at least my CPU was named in the change log for the BIOS update.  Not too sure on that, it was years ago now.