Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Archiving help please! (Read 6418 times) previous topic - next topic

Archiving help please!

Hi all,

Just getting back into ripping my cd's onto my hard drive. I have used EAC in the past (quite recently) and today it quit ripping mp3's. I keep the wav for archive, and mp3 for my ipod. I still get a wav file, but no mp3's.

I have EAC v1.0 beta 3 (2011) and LAME 3.99.5
Vipervick

Archiving help please!

Reply #1
This guide may be able to point out if there is anything wrong with your settings.

Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Archiving help please!

Reply #2
Keeping a lossless copy is a good idea, but why not encode with a lossless codec that supports tags? That way you can make a fully tagged lossy copy with very little effort.

Archiving help please!

Reply #3
One more thing: thanks to the 'archiving' term in the thread's title, my initial impression was that you wanted some advice on which encoder settings to use for that purpose.
But that wrong impression was obviously dismissed after I read your post.

Basically what you're doing more specifically, is encoding pure and simple. Archiving as you probably know, is what you chose to do with, say, the FLAC files later on.
União e reconstrução

Archiving help please!

Reply #4
Thanks all,

No idea, it just quit working. Imagine you drive your car to work every day. Then one Tuesday it doesn't start. That's what happened to me. I get the wav's, but no mp3.

I just tried uninstalling, deleting the folder, using Ccleaner, rebooting, and reinstalling. /crossesfingers
Vipervick

Archiving help please!

Reply #5
My bet is you're probably feeding some wrong parameter to Lame when calling it up via EAC (the 'Compression' screen that comes up when you press F11 on EAC). Are you using 'User Defined Encoder'?

It could also be that you've changed one of the following since you've last successfully had EAC to encode to MP3:

-any parameter on 'Additional command-line options';
-your EAC version (the latest ones have changed the way you enter id3 tags, for instance;
-your lame.exe location

Did you give the guide I told you a good read?
União e reconstrução

Archiving help please!

Reply #6
My bet is you're probably feeding some wrong parameter to Lame when calling it up via EAC (the 'Compression' screen that comes up when you press F11 on EAC). Are you using 'User Defined Encoder'?

It could also be that you've changed one of the following since you've last successfully had EAC to encode to MP3:

-any parameter on 'Additional command-line options';
-your EAC version (the latest ones have changed the way you enter id3 tags, for instance;
-your lame.exe location

Did you give the guide I told you a good read?

Yes, thank you. I had already posted that link on Head-Fi.org after reading it. Can't ask for help in too many places.

After the reinstall, I set it up all over again and it seems to work. Such is life when you have kids. They probably tampered with one, tiny thing...

Followed this: http://blowfish.be/eac/
Vipervick

Archiving help please!

Reply #7
Don't mention it.

Glad to know it worked out for you in the end.
União e reconstrução

Archiving help please!

Reply #8
Don't mention it.

Glad to know it worked out for you in the end.

I used this setting, hoping for the best...

Code: [Select]
-b 320 -h --add-id3v2 --ignore-tag-errors --ta "%artist%" --tt "%title%" --tg "%genre%" --tl "%albumtitle%" --ty "%year%" --tn "%tracknr%" %source% %dest%
Vipervick

Archiving help please!

Reply #9

I can't see why you should go wrong with those settings.

Though that's as good as MP3 quality gets under normal circumstances and unless you're a placebophile suffering from an acute case of ABX'ophobia, many members of this community (myself included) also simultaneously encode their music library to a lossless format (FLAC, WavPack etc.) alongside (usually VBR) lossy, in order to have some reassurance  they'll be able to transcode freely among formats in case they change their minds, lest they don't mind future headaches.
União e reconstrução

Archiving help please!

Reply #10
You should really use a lossless compression instead of archiving wav files. You can save a ridiculous amount of hard drive space by using FLAC at default compression. The FLAC format will also allow you to tag and embed art work and it also has a checksum that can verify the integrity of the FLAC file.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Archiving help please!

Reply #11
Or, if compatibility is not an issue and you have a Rockbox'd DAP for portability, hybrid WavPack can be the best of both worlds, with HQ high-bitrate lossy and the certainty of a correction file for lossless archival and playback. 

And (here's the charm about WavPack) unlike FLAC, you'll only have to worry about tagging the lossy file, not the lossless one; saving you a lot of time when managing your audio collection.
União e reconstrução

Archiving help please!

Reply #12
You should really use a lossless compression instead of archiving wav files. You can save a ridiculous amount of hard drive space by using FLAC at default compression. The FLAC format will also allow you to tag and embed art work and it also has a checksum that can verify the integrity of the FLAC file.

Storage is not an issue. I have a dedicated 2Tb hard drive for files. Only using less than 100 Gb so far. Totally not worried.
Vipervick