Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: My Ideas (14/06/06) (Read 3753 times) previous topic - next topic

My Ideas (14/06/06)

Ok here goes...

1. A Hybrid version of foobar, with an installer which gives you options to what features you would like
    - nice and slick visual aid for each of the features.
    - once you have chosen what plugins you want, it downloads them much like FLAC codec installer

2. Foobar automatically (if chosen from installer or prefs) tags the music cd's you put in, in the playlist,
it then waits for you to rip them off onto your computer, not only creating the full directory (e.g. Venetian snares / Horse and Goat /) it creates a .thumb extension to the folder, allowing you to view your directory
with some nice visual aid to help you choose.

3. Automatic volume bar.

Cheers.

My Ideas (14/06/06)

Reply #1
where is your sample code?

My Ideas (14/06/06)

Reply #2
Ok here goes...

1. A Hybrid version of foobar, with an installer which gives you options to what features you would like
    - nice and slick visual aid for each of the features.
    - once you have chosen what plugins you want, it downloads them much like FLAC codec installer

foobar 0.8.3 had a so-called 'special installer' that contained a lot of plugins that could be installed optionally. Currently there are no plans for such an installer but everyone who feels to put together one is welcomed...

2. Foobar automatically (if chosen from installer or prefs) tags the music cd's you put in, in the playlist,
it then waits for you to rip them off onto your computer, not only creating the full directory (e.g. Venetian snares / Horse and Goat /) it creates a .thumb extension to the folder, allowing you to view your directory

that would be to first step to the bloatware concept which is exactly the opposite of foobar philosophy. Use EAC instead

3. Automatic volume bar.

please explain. i don't know what you mean

My Ideas (14/06/06)

Reply #3
Thanks for replying.

Firstly, 1. I don't see how it would be bloastware if it is optional?..
secondly, what's EAC?

Thirdly, a volume bar! I can't see one. It should be a default feature in the interface, cos' the windows volume bar is pure shit.

EDIT, forget the EAC thing, I found it. Though, It's a shame we have to turn towards alternative apps!

My Ideas (14/06/06)

Reply #4
foobar 0.8.3 had a so-called 'special installer' that contained a lot of plugins that could be installed optionally. Currently there are no plans for such an installer but everyone who feels to put together one is welcomed...
Provided that they respect the licenses of the included software, and get permission from the respective other beforehand if necessary.

The ripping UI allows you to enter the most common values directly, and then hands control over to Converter which can encode the ripped files in any format you like (well, as long as there is command line encoder for it), and can place the output files wherever you like. In 0.9.3, it will be possible to use tag lookup services like freedb directly from the ripping UI.

that would be to first step to the bloatware concept which is exactly the opposite of foobar philosophy. Use EAC instead
Change log
*  New CD ripping UI
Perhaps you should check the current functionality more carefully, instead of tossing around assumptions about the "foobar2000 philosophy".

Thirdly, a volume bar! I can't see one. It should be a default feature in the interface, cos' the windows volume bar is pure shit.
Columns UI has a volume toolbar. In the Default User Interface, you can use the mouse wheel over the volume display in the status bar. In both user interfaces, you can click on the volume display in the status bar to open a volume slider.

My Ideas (14/06/06)

Reply #5
if you use the ColumsUI plugin you can add a volumebar via layout editor. In the default interface right-clicking the volume area (down right corner of the window) will show one (i didn't understand what you meant with 'automatic'  )

using EAC is the recommended way to rip cds as it is generally considered to do perfect rips in most of the cases.
I never used foobar's cd extractor but i don't see why it couldn't create a directory structure. I'm not sure with that .thumb thing as i'm not using WinXP.  A developer could give you a better anwer

edit: foosion was faster
@foosion: i knew foobar can rip CDs, i just didn't like the idea of automatically ripping, creating, thumbnailing etc.