Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: wavpack can't compress large wav (4gb+) (Read 5807 times) previous topic - next topic

wavpack can't compress large wav (4gb+)

Hi, I record lots of live concerts to multi track audio (24bit, broadcast wav) some shows can be 4-5 hours and some of the stereo files can get into the 5gb area...
Wavpack does a stunning job when it comes to archiving audio, but it doesnt even attempt to compress these large files. (And I don't want to split them) is there a switch or something else I need to do to allow it?

Thanks

Reply #1
Technically wav is limited to 4GB files. If your .wav files are bigger they are probably some extension. Do you know which? See if you can find a frontend that supports it.

Reply #2
What sampling rate do these files have?

Reply #4
Use a frontend that supports rf64.

Reply #5
RF64 files smaller than 4 GB can be made fully compatible with WAV format.  RF64 bigger than 4 GB cannot. And apparently WavPack doesn't support RF64.

P.S. Many players don't like WV files bigger than 4GB. No problems with decoding and playback, but some problems with seeking.

Reply #6
Ok thanks for the info.

I'm not looking to play these.. They are just being compressed to save space..
Should I ever need the projects again I would decompress.

Reply #7
The current version of WavPack does not support either of the extensions that allow wav files greater than 4 GB, however this is planned for the next major release (which will be fairly soon, with any luck).

Reply #8
The current version of WavPack does not support either of the extensions that allow wav files greater than 4 GB, however this is planned for the next major release (which will be fairly soon, with any luck).

That's great news!!! (If you need any testing.. Let me know!)

Garry

Reply #9
Hi, just wondering if there is any news on this or if i should start looking at alternatives?

many thanks
Garry

Reply #10
I am still planning on this as my next enhancement for WavPack (after I release a quick update for the 4.75.0 release). Unfortunately I've been working a lot on paying work the last two months, which has slowed progress on WavPack. As soon as I start testing something, I'll let you know!

Reply #11
ok great stuff!
thanks