Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Where to start testing/building a system? (Objectively) (Read 2324 times) previous topic - next topic

Where to start testing/building a system? (Objectively)

Hi!
After being away from audio for the better part of 20 years, I'm trying to configure a system. I know a lot has changed (DSP!), and I'm hoping for your advice on how to do it rationally.

I like to listen to cello music, and I have the opportunity to make recordings of a friend who plays the upright bass. I'd love to be able to hear the lowest notes on those instruments clearly in a recording. The lowest tuning I've read about on the bass is 31 Hz, (I think 41 is more common, and cellos are around 64) so I'm guessing I need to check to see if my current setup can reproduce sounds that low. (Probably not.)

I'm starting with a AVR and a pair of bookshelf speakers, so I'm assuming that I will need to buy a sub to handle 80 hz down to about 30 hz.

Should I use something like REW? I'd need to buy a reference mike to do that, right? Or just an SPL meter? Is there an (accurate) app for that?
Then, I suppose I buy a sub, configure the filter in the AVR for that channel, measure it, and see what it looks like? If that doesn't work right, then buy something like the miniDSP to EQ all the things?

Sam