Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I use EAC to rip to FLAC files; how can I get them into iTunes? (Read 4552 times) previous topic - next topic

I use EAC to rip to FLAC files; how can I get them into iTunes?

Hi,
I downloaded EAC so I could go back and re-rip all of my CD's with a better quality. I'm able to rip them without a problem with EAC, but I want to be able to transfer the files into my Itunes page (keeping the album title, track names, etc.) I read that in order to do that, the files have to be compressed and put into an mp3 format. SO.. I downloaded FLAC, but I'm not doing something right. Basically, I need help getting my ripped CD's from EAC to itunes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan.

Reply #1
So you already ripped your CDs to FLAC?

If that is so, you just need a converter program to convert them to MP3 (or some other format, if you want).

Foobar is good for that. For converting to MP3 you also need to download the LAME files (Foobar will ask you for the location of those files).

Make a few converting presets in Foobar (especially regarding folder names), so that if you have, for example, an album with various artists it will get converted in an organized way.

Reply #2
iTunes can play not only MP3 but also AAC (stored in an M4A container) and Apple Lossless audio files. Using MP3s created by LAME at our usual recommended setting -V2 (the default setting for LAME in foobar2000, ready to use out-of-the-box) is probably easiest, but there are plenty of previous threads and info on the Knowledgebase (wiki) that should be helpful if you would like to weigh up the pros and cons of different formats and quality levels.

Reply #3
As you mentioned EAC you are running Win.
As FLAC is a lossless format you might decide to convert to a lossless format supported by iTunes like ALAC or AIFF.
An excellent converter is dbPoweramp.

Alternatively you might decide to use a media player supporting FLAC.
MusicBee, JRiver Media Center, Foobar all support FLAC (and a lot more formats).
My personal preference is JRiver as it also has a very flexible interface offering much more options to maintain and browse my collection than iTunes or WMP.
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #4
Dear,

I use qaac https://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/ with the following parameters:
/c C:\Programs\qaac\qaac.exe  -A --artist "%artist%" --title "%title%" --album "%albumtitle%" --date "%year%" --track "%tracknr%"/%numtracks%  --genre "%genre%" --disk "%cdnumber%"/"%totalcds%" --band "%albuminterpret%" --composer "%composer%" %hascover%--artwork "%coverfile%"%hascover% --comment "%comment%" %source% -o %dest%

This copies nearly all data from EAC to the ALAC file. The only missing data (to copy to ALAC) is the lyrics.
I didn't find a way yet to copy it in the corresponding field of the ALAC file.
I already contacted the author and keep you posted.