Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: itunes added samples? please help (Read 4162 times) previous topic - next topic

itunes added samples? please help

ok, i just ABXed Megadeth - Good Mourning/Black Friday (remaster) with foobar. i converted the original wav once with foobar, using nero aac @ 192kbps CBR and once with itunes 4.7.042 (just came out) @ 192kbps CBR. i couldn't tell the difference between the two with ABX, so i checked their properties to find a difference.

here's what i found:
wav
length: 6:39.773
samples: 17,630,004

foobar
length: 6:39.773
samples: 17,630,004
size: 9,720,300 bytes

itunes
length: 6:39.801
samples: 17,631,232
size: 9,751,127

maybe this is a normal thing, but the itunes converted file has more samples than the original file and has a slightly longer duration. i found this odd because it looks like itunes added something to the file. is this normal or did i just make a 'discovery'?

Reply #1
maybe this is a normal thing, but the itunes converted file has more samples than the original file and has a slightly longer duration. i found this odd because it looks like itunes added something to the file. is this normal or did i just make a 'discovery'?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=250266"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is normal. iTunes AAC isn't gapless. Those added samples are the gap introduced because AAC is a block-based codec (blocks have a fixed size, so often at the end of the track it's padded with zeros to complete the data needed to create a block) and iTunes doesn't compensate for that, unlike MPC and Vorbis.

Reply #2
i see. thanks.