Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New ASIO driver: issues, bug/problem reports, etc. (Read 49333 times) previous topic - next topic

New ASIO driver: issues, bug/problem reports, etc.

Old driver worked perfectly for me.  This one is not working.  I have updated components before with no problems, and can't see that I am doing anything wrong, but, get this message:

Unrecoverable playback error: Could not start the worker process - The system cannot find the file specified.

The driver is in the components folder with the rest of the drivers, however.

I read your disclaimer about ASIO, but this mode is important to me.  I switch back and forth a lot between internet radio stations, some at 48,000 some at 44.1.  If I use my card's (Asus Xonar Essence) interface, I have to switch back and forth manually.  (And definitely sounds better, despite your disclaimer.)

The old driver has apparently disappeared from my system with the update.  Can I get it, please?

Thanks much,
N.

Reply #1
Hi. If you looked at the contents of the archive properly, you would have noticed there are two executable files (.EXE) bundled with it. Those need to be unpacked wherever you placed the component. This is done for you automatically if you use the built-in component installer.

Using the built-in installer is as easy as opening the Preferences, selecting the Components section at the top if necessary, then dragging the downloaded ZIP file onto that page. Or clicking the Install... button there and selecting it manually.

An added benefit to installing that way is that if you click the Get Updates button on that page, or select "Check for updated components" from the Help menu, it will automatically poll the foobar2000 component repository for updates to listed components, then download them for you.

Reply #2
Thanks very much.  I removed and then reinstalled as you suggested (dragged the whole zip to the components page).  The component is listed.  However, not working.  Get this error message:

Unrecoverable playback error: The process receiving or sending data has terminated

Strangely, the ASIO driver does not appear in the Components folder with the rest of the Foobar drivers. 

Am I yet doing something wrong?

Running XP, and the troubleshooter says I do not have any problematic components.

N.

Reply #3
Strangely, the ASIO driver does not appear in the Components folder with the rest of the Foobar drivers. 

Am I yet doing something wrong?
No.
With a standard (not-portable) install, components installed using the component installer are stored in your User configuration folder, not the foobar2000 install folder.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #4
Version 2.0.2 is up on the site, among other things it corrects incompatibility with Windows XP.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #5
New error messages: Unrecoverable playback error: Could not set sample rate to 44100 Hz; Unrecoverable playback error: Could not set sample rate to 48000 Hz

2.02 installed, but will not play, get the above error messages.
Thanks, Peter, for Foobar.

Reply #6
Well, that's progress. Please try the test version I've attached to this post, it attempts to mimic behaviors of the old component.

[attachment removed - newer version up on the site]

Reply #7
Hi, with new 2.x asio plugins, my kx asio device is disappear. Version 1.2.7 is working.

With 2.x, output/asio tools/add new: no asio drivers found.

Reply #8
Hi, with new 2.x asio plugins, my kx asio device is disappear. Version 1.2.7 is working.

ASIOhost32.exe & ASIOhost64.exe in component's folder?

Reply #9

Try 2.0.2, that fixes it for Windows XP.

Reply #10

For one last time: do not install components manually into the "components" folder. Use the "Components" preferences page to do this properly.

Reply #11

Hi, yes, under ...\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000\user-components\foo_out_asio directory. Plugin version is 2.0.2.

Win7 x64

Reply #12
I mean foo_out_asio folder

Reply #13

For one last time: do not install components manually into the "components" folder. Use the "Components" preferences page to do this properly.

Hi!

I read changelog, I already know this, I use always install function to install plugins.

Reply #14
mikk, can you try deleting ASIOhost64.exe from the directory where the component is installed to and make a copy of ASIOhost32.exe with ASIOhost64.exe name. It looks like kX drivers have no 64 bit ASIO support.

Reply #15
Well, that's progress. Please try the test version I've attached to this post, it attempts to mimic behaviors of the old component.

Well, it works in the sense that will play, and I don't get error messages.  But something is plainly wrong: Sound quality is extremely compromised (intermittent and underwater-sounding).  Not always, but like halt the time. 

Reply #16

Directory mean folder for me.

Under c:\Users\mikk\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000\user-components\foo_out_asio folder found these files:

ASIOhost64.exe
ASIOhost32.exe
foo_out_asio.dll

But this is not component install error, because 1.2.7 version is working after installed.

Reply #17
mikk, can you try deleting ASIOhost64.exe from the directory where the component is installed to and make a copy of ASIOhost32.exe with ASIOhost64.exe name. It looks like kX drivers have no 64 bit ASIO support.

Hi, good idea, but after foobar is started I get error message: internal error, one or more installed components have been damaged, after foobar is exited.

Reply #18

Directory mean folder for me.

Under c:\Users\mikk\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000\user-components\foo_out_asio folder found these files:

ASIOhost64.exe
ASIOhost32.exe
foo_out_asio.dll

But this is not component install error, because 1.2.7 version is working after installed.

without ASIOhostXX.exe I have the same error

Reply #19

Well, it works in the sense that will play, and I don't get error messages.  But something is plainly wrong: Sound quality is extremely compromised (intermittent and underwater-sounding).  Not always, but like halt the time.

Trying to figure out what is going on.  Problem seems worst on the Vorbis streams.
Can I get the old driver?
Thanks.

Reply #20
Sticking to old version is not a solution. The new component is supposed to be superior in any way. It already includes several workarounds for known issues in various drivers that old version didn't have but there are some bugs that need to be sorted.
Are you using some very small output buffer size in ASIO driver's preferences or in foobar2000 output preferences? That could explain the glitching you hear. You can access driver's options in Asio tools if you Click Add. There's a button to configure driver.

Reply #21
Version 2.0.3 was just uploaded. It fixes issues in 32-bit ASIO host and won't use 64 bit version unless user manually selects it. kX drivers should output sound with this one now.

Reply #22
I have tried twice to install new version. I use m-audio 1010LT sound card.
In the asio virtual device editor the version 2.02 sees the sound card channels.
Trying to use the version i still get error message.

I tried again upgrade, version is now 2.03. Seems to be working fine.

Thanks.

Reply #23
Problems with 2.0.3: Almost working, but some streams I have to start twice before they sound right.  First time: intermittent, chugging, and wrong speed.  Second time: sounds great.  Can't see a pattern as to which kind of stream (AAC, MP3, Vorbis) affected.  I am using a plenty big buffer (same as with previous driver).

Reply #24
I have tried twice to install new version. I use m-audio 1010LT sound card.
In the asio virtual device editor the version 2.02 sees the sound card channels.
Trying to use the version i still get error message.

I tried again upgrade, version is now 2.03. Seems to be working fine.

Thanks.

I have also M-Audio sound card, Delta Audiophile 2496 and my OS is Server 2008 R2. Foobar2000 is version 1.1.10.

ASIO output doesn't work here yet with this 2.03 version either. After installing it Foobar asks if it is ok to restart program, and when it does it gives just error message "Internal error - one or more of the installed components have been damaged".
Then it is needed to start Foobar in safemode and remove ASIO output driver.

Why i don't use Wasapi then? It gives me crackling noise. Not as much as Direct Sound does. Wasapi worked quite well without any crackling for awhile but suddenly it started to act badly as well.

Main problem with WASAPI is that if i have any web browser open when i use foobar2000, audio from that browser wont work anymore after that.
Like if i have youtube video open and i watch half of it and then pause for awhile, listen some music with foobar and when i want to continue watching that video i have to close browser, restart audio service, reopen browser, restore session to get all tabs back, choose right tab and find a spot where i was left.
I did that procedure at least couple hundred times before i decided that it's too time consuming to do constantly.

I tried to find other audio programs that i would like as much as foobar2000 but there weren't any.
Then i found out that ASIO output driver. Too bad that it didn't help in my situation here.

Instead i installed KS output driver which seems to work just fine. Now i have used it just about one hour so i'm not 100% sure but looks promising.
Even though it was said to be unstable and experimental. And was made 5 years ago.