Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar alternatives ... (Read 5411 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar alternatives ...

don't get me wrong ... i love fb2k!

i just happen to be a big fan of open source software as well ... so my question is:
is there a similar program to foobar that is open source?
are ther plans to make foobar open source?

thanks for the following discourse!

foobar alternatives ...

Reply #1
Most of foobar is open source (plugins).  Just not the core of the player.  You can download the source yourself if you're interested in looking at it and seeing what is available.

foobar alternatives ...

Reply #2
I've never tried it, but Musik is an open source project that looks something like a cross between foobar and iTunes.

http://musik.berlios.de/

foobar alternatives ...

Reply #3
I've never tried it, but Musik is an open source project that looks something like a cross between foobar and iTunes.

Is the player as (un)cool as the slogans? 

<script language="javascript">
  slogans = new Array(10);
  slogans[0] = "because w!namp is teh suck.";
  slogans[1] = "sanity for your immense self-bought music collection.";
  slogans[2] = "it's better than a kick in the nuts.";
  slogans[3] = "girls have the buns...and boys have the hot dogs.";
  slogans[4] = "we don't care about foobar.";
  slogans[5] = "because we have no time to wait for dog-slow starting apps.";
  slogans[6] = "it's more innovative than sliced bread.";
  slogans[7] = "keep it simple, keep it fast...wxMusik";
  slogans[8] = "Because I dream of it all night";
  slogans[9] = "Enjoy the Musik even more, with wxMusik";

selected = Math.floor(Math.random() * slogans.length);

document.write( "<div id=\"top-slogan\">" );
  document.write( slogans[selected] );
  document.write( "</div>" );
  </script>

From the source of the homepage (with my highlighting).

Not that I really care...

foobar alternatives ...

Reply #4

If I interpret it correctly, it has an open-source core, but for actual playback it uses fmod, which is not exactly open. This will also make stuff like dsp plugins rather difficult. I prefer foobar's open sdk and plugins over this open core but 3rd-party closed sound library, but ymmv.

foobar alternatives ...

Reply #5
Is the player as (un)cool as the slogans?

I think the stupid slogans may have been why I didn't try it in the first place.

foobar alternatives ...

Reply #6
yeah ... musik was the only one i could find.
and, yeah, i didn't really care for their 'tudes.

also they've been on version 0 for like forever and some.  i like how foobar is frequently up'd, but like i said, i was seeing if there were alt's.

thanks guys.

foobar alternatives ...

Reply #7
Hmm, there is VUPlayer.  Its not entirely open source, but it does look a lot like foobar does.  I still prefer foobar over it though.

foobar alternatives ...

Reply #8
What formats does Musik support? I can't find a list anywhere on their site...

foobar alternatives ...

Reply #9
What formats does Musik support? I can't find a list anywhere on their site...

As stated on their main page, it supports Ogg Vorbis and MP3.

foobar alternatives ...

Reply #10
I tried both and I was quite impressed with VUPlayer. Foobar, of course, has much more functionality, but as far as as being a non-skinned player VU has some mature features. Musik didn't impress me as much, especially as most of my music is encoded using AAC, which meant I was only able to play about 10 songs on it. My personal attitude toward software (and most other things) is "to each his own," so if someone likes a particular product that doesn't really do it for me, fine. Not being a fan of skinned applications, I'm just happy to see there are other non-skinned players being developed.