Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audiophile 2496 or OS (Read 2699 times) previous topic - next topic

Audiophile 2496 or OS

The system is Win7 64 bit.
I am using an Audiophile 2496 soundcard. The MB audio is disabled in the BIOS.
The system has been in daily use for more than two years.
No software updates or additions have been done recently, except perhaps the uncontrollable MS Security Essentials updates.

Perhaps someone knows what causes a recent problem and how to fix it.

The Audiophile contains a DSP mixer chip. This computer is not used for recording, only for working on recordings. Normally I do not use the soundcard mixer, I set the I/O directly to the ADC in and DAC out.

Last week a question arose about monitoring the input against existing tracks while recording an additional track. Under the Win7 driver, the Audiophile Control Panel is significantly different than my previous experience with it. I played with the settings to find how to set it up for monitoring the input + output. After I figured that out, I set it back to my normal.

Everything works as before, so I think it is set as before. Actually, almost everything works as before.

Frequently, the computer is on all day but not necessarily is use. If I expect to do something else for awhile, I select Sleep mode and it shuts down to no apparent activity except a blinking LED. This is never done on timer, only manually. It is simply a convenience: the machine is on and ready to use much faster this way than if starting from complete off. Sometimes it remains in sleep mode all night rather than being shut down.

Until I played with the Audiophile Control Panel last week there was never any audio problem. Every since my Control Panel experiment, audio is missing when the computer is awakened from Sleep mode. Several media player programs simply do not respond when I try to play something. Cool Edit 2000 thinks it is running, the cursor advances and the VU meter display the level, but nothing gets out. The M-Audio Control Panel VU meters do not show any activity.

A warm boot restores audio functioning. Since nothing else is required to get back to normal, I take this as evidence that my Audiophile Control Panel settings are as they should be, but that is only conjecture. Either there is still something I can't see in the settings or temporarily changing these settings forced something elsewhere to change, something that has not come back to where I want it.

Audiophile 2496 or OS

Reply #1
Waking from sleep is often problematic in some way (and not just with Windows).

Anyway, if you haven't already, when the problem occurs check the Device Manager and the Event Viewer, they might have give you some clues.

Maybe reinstalling the driver could fix it.

Audiophile 2496 or OS

Reply #2
The system is Win7 64 bit.
I am using an Audiophile 2496 soundcard. The MB audio is disabled in the BIOS.
The system has been in daily use for more than two years.
No software updates or additions have been done recently, except perhaps the uncontrollable MS Security Essentials updates.

Perhaps someone knows what causes a recent problem and how to fix it.

The Audiophile contains a DSP mixer chip. This computer is not used for recording, only for working on recordings. Normally I do not use the soundcard mixer, I set the I/O directly to the ADC in and DAC out.

Last week a question arose about monitoring the input against existing tracks while recording an additional track. Under the Win7 driver, the Audiophile Control Panel is significantly different than my previous experience with it. I played with the settings to find how to set it up for monitoring the input + output. After I figured that out, I set it back to my normal.

Everything works as before, so I think it is set as before. Actually, almost everything works as before.

Frequently, the computer is on all day but not necessarily is use. If I expect to do something else for awhile, I select Sleep mode and it shuts down to no apparent activity except a blinking LED. This is never done on timer, only manually. It is simply a convenience: the machine is on and ready to use much faster this way than if starting from complete off. Sometimes it remains in sleep mode all night rather than being shut down.

Until I played with the Audiophile Control Panel last week there was never any audio problem. Every since my Control Panel experiment, audio is missing when the computer is awakened from Sleep mode. Several media player programs simply do not respond when I try to play something. Cool Edit 2000 thinks it is running, the cursor advances and the VU meter display the level, but nothing gets out. The M-Audio Control Panel VU meters do not show any activity.

A warm boot restores audio functioning. Since nothing else is required to get back to normal, I take this as evidence that my Audiophile Control Panel settings are as they should be, but that is only conjecture. Either there is still something I can't see in the settings or temporarily changing these settings forced something elsewhere to change, something that has not come back to where I want it.

Driver bug.  Make sure you have the latest-greatest from M-Audio's site. If that doesn't work you might check some older versions if they exist.

One other option - change how deeply you let your PC sleep.

Audiophile 2496 or OS

Reply #3
Nothing else I tried had worked so I was about to uninstall the soundcard driver and start over when I remembered the existence of System Restore Points. It turned out there was an OS created restore point, about 9 hours earlier, on the day I played with the Audiophile Control Panel.

I gave it a try. Audio now seems to be back to where it used to be, still working properly after Sleep. I then manually updated MS Security Essentials, to be sure something that was uninstalled by the System Restore wasn't responsible for the audio problem. That seems to be good too. This doesn't tell me anything about the exact cause, but there was probably a Registry setting that got wacked by the Audiophile Control Panel changes, or something else I inadvertently did.