Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: app crash switching to 'Preferences:Output' (Read 3354 times) previous topic - next topic

app crash switching to 'Preferences:Output'

hi, im new here but made use of foobar for over 6 years... & this is my first bug report XD

this issue only occurs if i have chosen a device which doesn't exist any more(when fb was ran in another system) & open the 'Output' page again...
then app crash.

However, fb will show the output page will device not found warring, but i'm not able to choose from the device list because it crash immediately...
to solve this problems, i have to del the Core.cfg int the configuration folder, setting up again all the lost preferences, and fb work again.... but this is really not convienced 

i'm using fb2k v1.1.13 & this issuse happens to me in the recent versions
i have a x-fi extreme music, using ks/asio/wsapi output, crash both on 2k3 & win7 (both 64bit)

many thanks

Reply #1
For now, after you've configured your settings the way you want set your output device to a safe setting such as "Null Output", close foobar2000, and make a copy of CORE.CFG so you have it to restore in the future.

Reply #2
For now, after you've configured your settings the way you want set your output device to a safe setting such as "Null Output", close foobar2000, and make a copy of CORE.CFG so you have it to restore in the future.

thank you for your suggestion, it is really also a good solution :-)
however i still hope this could be fixed in the latest update… because i believe that invalid devices handling was designed but just not work property now.
& i love fb very much and hope it will become a PERFECT player

Reply #3
Did you try the latest version of foobar2000? And did you send in crash reports?
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #4
Thank you for the bug report.

I presume that "Intel® Xeon® CPU 3060 @ 2.40GHz" machine is yours. Is this your only machine? I see only one relevant crash report logged, from Windows 2003. Can you please autosubmit crash reports from Windows 7 ?

Finally, please update WASAPI & ASIO components to their latest versions, you're using outdated versions that are known to be prone to system-specific crashes.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #5
Thank you for the bug report.

I presume that "Intel® Xeon® CPU 3060 @ 2.40GHz" machine is yours. Is this your only machine? I see only one relevant crash report logged, from Windows 2003. Can you please autosubmit crash reports from Windows 7 ?

Finally, please update WASAPI & ASIO components to their latest versions, you're using outdated versions that are known to be prone to system-specific crashes.

thank you for your replay & suggestion very very much!
i guess that was exactly my machine too XD

after updating asio & wasapi components to the latest vers(&i don't know there were updates for these components until you tell me ..lol), fb does not crash any more on win 7...
but still crash on 2k3.
however, i'm not sure whether the updates take effects, because i didn't test it on win7 yesterday but remember it was so on my previous win7 

i just updated my hardwares on this computer for few weeks, but my previous device(P4 631, audigy 2 zs etc. but still 2k3 & win7 64bit) had the same problem

Reply #7
I've seen reports of such crash before (preferences page crash after "invalid output device") but it appears to be strictly isolated to Windows 2003; I don't believe my code is the direct cause of this.
Maybe I can specifically code around it so the output device picker doesn't auto drop down on Windows 2003 when opening the dialog, since this is what triggers the crash.

Reply #8
I've seen reports of such crash before (preferences page crash after "invalid output device") but it appears to be strictly isolated to Windows 2003; I don't believe my code is the direct cause of this.
Maybe I can specifically code around it so the output device picker doesn't auto drop down on Windows 2003 when opening the dialog, since this is what triggers the crash.

uhh, maybe you're right!
i copy fb to my friend's xp and it does not crash as how fb behaves on win7...
...or maybe i should simply abandon 2k3?

Reply #9
For anyone else having this issue: problem has been worked around for the next foobar2000 version: the output device list doesn't auto drop down anymore on Windows 2003 (5.2 build 3790) which seems to remedy it. Any further insight on why exactly that crashes is welcome.

Reply #10
For anyone else having this issue: problem has been worked around for the next foobar2000 version: the output device list doesn't auto drop down anymore on Windows 2003 (5.2 build 3790) which seems to remedy it. Any further insight on why exactly that crashes is welcome.

cheer  & i wonder why XD