Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Splitting FLAC with CUE file, less quality? (Read 7051 times) previous topic - next topic

Splitting FLAC with CUE file, less quality?

Hey all,

I have a bunch of FLACs and accompanying CUE to split up the audio.

I understand the following:
1. EAC can handle the splitting if I convert the FLAC to WAV first.
2. CueTools can do it right away without any other steps.

What I don't understand is why when I'm done with CueTools the split audio tracks are less bitrate than the original large FLAC? Isn't there any way to do it without losing bitrate? Maybe there's some new tool that's used for this and I'm out of date with my software. If so, let me know.

Thanks, guys.

Reply #1
Probably CueTools decodes them to wav first, does the splitting and encodes them back using stronger settings.
Anyway, merge one of albums and compare flac fingerprint with the original and you'll know whether there was any change.

With lossless audio bitrate has nothing too do with quality.

Reply #3
If I remember correctly, CUETools does re-encode individual tracks when splitting.

If you're converting FLAC->FLAC you will not lose quality. Period.

Reply #4
In short, the main thing to remember is that when dealing with FLAC (as well as any other lossless compression):
bitrate ≠ quality.

If you must, you could sort-of say that
bitrate ≅ efficiency
Where in "efficiency" you would say that "using less space to store the same (repeat, same) data is more efficient".
And then we would begin to argue the "efficiency" term also in regard to consuming CPU power, compatibility issues and others.

However, before you get confused as you are, go back and re-read the first two lines of this reply.

-- L. Ipsum

Reply #5
Thanks so much, guys. Much appreciated.
And no, I understand you Lorem. I got it. Thanks! I'll just use CueTools then. It's much more automate than going about it the long way and I have a lot to split up. Just have to learn how to automate it.