IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 General Forum Rules

This is NOT a tech support forum.
Tech support questions go to foobar2000 Tech Support forum instead.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
How to rename folders [File Operations]
earlypaperboy
post Dec 4 2012, 14:30
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 104208

I want to rename folders according to the album and date tag using file operations, I just renamed files but don't know how to achieve the same for folders. I think it is possible.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Zarkon
post Dec 4 2012, 14:36
Post #2

Member No.: 18008

There is no rename folder command. A workaround for some cases is to use the Move files command instead, with the move entire source folder & remove empty source folders options enabled.

This post has been edited by Zarkon: Dec 4 2012, 14:44
+Quote Post
earlypaperboy
post Dec 4 2012, 15:12
Post #3

Yes, I already tried the copy command (not move) and after copying operation completed it showed some error "copy operation failed" for some files. I chose "album" and "leave as is" in file name selector. Since that didn't worked that's why i am asking if there is some other way to rename folder.
+Quote Post
Remedial Sound
post Dec 4 2012, 16:26
Post #4

Member No.: 26898

Using the Move command will achieve your objective of renaming folders. Say you have a folder in My Music/Artist currently named /xyzBlah123/ that you want to rename according to the album and date tags of the file contents (e.g., /The Blah Album (2012)/). Select the album files and "Move" them to My Music/Artist (Destination folder) with the desired Sub-folder and file name pattern (from the ellipsis dialog window), and enable the options that zarkon already mentioned.

So technically foobar isn't renaming the folder, but rather moving the tracks to a properly named folder and cleaning up after itself (same end result).
+Quote Post
earlypaperboy
post Dec 4 2012, 17:02
Post #5

Ok, I tried move operation it helped though it left few files which i have to move manually. Thanks.
+Quote Post
EagleScout1998
post Dec 4 2012, 21:06
Post #6

Member No.: 35820

I chose "album" and "leave as is" in file name selector. Since that didn't worked that's why i am asking if there is some other way to rename folder.

As mentioned above, the "Move to..." command is what you want. However, it won't work unless it is properly configured.

In the "Destination folder", you need to provide a destination folder (duh!). The folder will NOT be created if it doesn't already exist. The destination folder, however, can also be entered into "File name pattern". The benefit of doing this is that it WILL be created automatically if said folder does not already exist.

Then you need to use file strings (e.g. %album artist%, %album%, %discnumber%, %tracknumber%, etc.) to create folders/files based on tag information.

If you have any additional files within the original source folder (such as album art), you need to make sure "Move entire source folder content" is checked.
+Quote Post
Moth
post Dec 8 2012, 02:47
Post #7

Member No.: 53181

I think there should be a feature added to tick or untick to delete the previous folder hmmm?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th December 2014 - 12:57