Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Rarewares is Back (Read 30597 times) previous topic - next topic

Rarewares is Back

Just to let everyone know, we have taken over hosting ourselves and everything is available as previously and with the same addresses.

Apologies for any inconvenience and hopefully we won't have any repetition of this problem.

Rarewares is Back

Reply #1
Out of curiosity, and as someone who works in web hosting, what was the issue?  Webmaster or a dev hijacked the hosting or domain name?  Or maybe just incompetence?

Rarewares is Back

Reply #2
Thanks for fixing it.

Now that it's back I've redownloaded and tested the oggenc with libvorbis 1.3.4 and I confirmed that they don't work with foobar2000. This is weird since they work perfectly on other programs like TAC.

Why?

Rarewares is Back

Reply #3
YAY it is back. Thanks for the update!

Rarewares is Back

Reply #5
Great news John, your dedication is appreciated.

Rarewares is Back

Reply #6
Out of curiosity, and as someone who works in web hosting, what was the issue?  Webmaster or a dev hijacked the hosting or domain name?  Or maybe just incompetence?

Basically, the hosting was being provided on someone else's account, as it has been for years very generously, but reasons we have not been able to establish since we've been unable to contact him, he suddenly cancelled payment with no notice to us. Having finally been able to establish the situation, we've taken over payment on the account.

As a precaution, I have registered 'rarewares.org.uk' with a view to setting up a mirror, but I'm not rushing into that.

So, sorry to inconvenience everyone and thanks for the support.

Rarewares is Back

Reply #7
Just to let everyone know, we have taken over hosting ourselves and everything is available as previously and with the same addresses.

Good news

Why?

Because foobar uses stdin and TAC doesn't. As explained here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=864424

I'll look at this over the next couple of days.

Rarewares is Back

Reply #8
Thanks for this,

note:
you may want to nuke the Debian repos and everything on the pages, seems like something from 2005 and they probably take some disk space.
p.s. Also there are references in the page to old debian-multimedia.org, which is no longer there and someone took the domain for some other purposes, not to mention that they recommend dist-upgrade to sid and other stupidities (all things that were probably good 10 years ago).
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Rarewares is Back

Reply #9
Thanks for this,

note:
you may want to nuke the Debian repos and everything on the pages, seems like something from 2005 and they probably take some disk space.
p.s. Also there are references in the page to old debian-multimedia.org, which is no longer there and someone took the domain for some other purposes, not to mention that they recommend dist-upgrade to sid and other stupidities (all things that were probably good 10 years ago).

Thanks for the suggestion. We had thought to do exactly that as the person who was providing those has clearly found other interests.

Rarewares is Back

Reply #10
roberot ist goen? oh noes!

Rarewares is Back

Reply #12

Apologies for any inconvenience and hopefully we won't have any repetition of this problem.

Thank you for that.
Just a quick question - is there a way to save Roberto's ReallyRareWares as well ?

At least from web archive or so:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090916203927/...amorim.com/rrw/

Rarewares is Back

Reply #13

Basically, the hosting was being provided on someone else's account, as it has been for years very generously, but reasons we have not been able to establish since we've been unable to contact him, he suddenly cancelled payment with no notice to us. Having finally been able to establish the situation, we've taken over payment on the account.

As a precaution, I have registered 'rarewares.org.uk' with a view to setting up a mirror, but I'm not rushing into that.

So, sorry to inconvenience everyone and thanks for the support.

Ah,  I thought it would be something like that,  I worked with similar issues almost on a daily basis. At least it looks like you were able to get access to the hosting  or at least had a backup of the site  to establish it on a new host.

Let this be a lesson to people all over HA, if you maintain a web site make sure you have the 'keys' to the hosting account, or, at least a backup of the site content!