Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Playback Statistics component: version 3.0.1 (Read 200343 times) previous topic - next topic

Playback Statistics component: version 3.0.1

Reply #350
Easy: Preferences > Advanced > Tools > Playback Statistics > Tick "Automatically Sync file tags"

My problem:
My database seems to loose info from time to time (Music on external USB drive lately). Albums start having different "ADDED" times... and I dont want to know what kind of info is lost as well!!!

Reply #351
Easy: Preferences > Advanced > Tools > Playback Statistics > Tick "Automatically Sync file tags"

The complete name of this option is: "Automatically synchronize file tags with statistics (causes file tag rewrites during playback, disrecommended)"

My database seems to loose info from time to time (Music on external USB drive lately). Albums start having different "ADDED" times... and I dont want to know what kind of info is lost as well!!!

Could this be the reason?

A record gets removed when no matching track has been seen by foobar2000 (in Media Library or in any playlist or in an imported XML backup of playback statistics) for four weeks.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #352

Could this be the reason?

A record gets removed when no matching track has been seen by foobar2000 (in Media Library or in any playlist or in an imported XML backup of playback statistics) for four weeks.

I am pretty sure that cannot be the reason: The USB drive is connected all the time. And still the database seems to loose information randomly. As a security measure I write the %added% info to the tags but right now I'm not even able to import them back to the database when something went wrong but that might be an issue on my side.

About the "record deletion after 4 weeks". What happens if I didn't use the software for more than four weeks and when I start it the next time (lets say after 5 weeks) the USB drive is not connected? Does that mean everything gets cleard out?

Reply #353
As a security measure I write the %added% info to the tags

Are you aware of the option to export the playback statistics to a XML file (Library > Playback Statistics > Export statistics...)?
Via Import statistics... from the same menu you could re-import the values in case of a stats loss and also avoid editing your tags.

About the "record deletion after 4 weeks". What happens if I didn't use the software for more than four weeks and when I start it the next time (lets say after 5 weeks) the USB drive is not connected? Does that mean everything gets cleard out?

As I understand it, yes, you would lose your playback statistics, but I would appreciate if someone could confirm that. I couldn't find any hint that an external data storage medium would be treated differently in this regard than an internal one. But be that as it may, you could get your stats back via your XML backup.

With regard to your partly statistics loss in general: Have you checked foobar2000's console which might provide some information concerning this matter?

Reply #354
Are you aware of the option to export the playback statistics to a XML file (Library > Playback Statistics > Export statistics...)?
Via Import statistics... from the same menu you could re-import the values in case of a stats loss and also avoid editing your tags.

Thank you, I was not aware of that. Is there an option to automate that?
With regard to your partly statistics loss in general: Have you checked foobar2000's console which might provide some information concerning this matter?

I did today. But there is nothing interesting to read. Still I think it is strange that only PARTS of an Album loose statistics information. Which would be impossible if it were to the 4-week problem, right?

So, how could that happen?

Reply #355
This component identifies tracks by metadata (read the wiki to know what metadata it uses). If you alter the relevant metadata with something other than foobar so that the file's tags no longer match what's stored in the component's database, the component is ignorant of the change and will treat those files as new and assign them new added dates and the like.

Reply #356
This component identifies tracks by metadata (read the wiki to know what metadata it uses). If you alter the relevant metadata with something other than foobar so that the file's tags no longer match what's stored in the component's database, the component is ignorant of the change and will treat those files as new and assign them new added dates and the like.

That is really interesting and I didn't think of that before. I guess even if you use another instance of foobar with a copied database would be trouble right?
Well but if you look at the image you see that the date is 2006 & 2007. Do you really think, your explanation could fit in this scenario? That did not happen 7 years ago!

Reply #357
I cannot speak to behavior in regard to copied databases.

Previously this component identified files by their path. I presume (because I have no way of determining) that a file moved outside of foobar during that time would result in the same behavior that altering the metadata outside of foobar has now.

As to your screenshot, that shows that the seven items were added over a period of 26 days in March 2006.

Reply #358
...were not. Its an Album, ok in this case an EP but still. It is strange right?

Reply #359
Is there an option to automate that?

I assume AutoIt could do that.

Still I think it is strange that only PARTS of an Album loose statistics information. Which would be impossible if it were to the 4-week problem, right?

Have all tracks of that album been added at the same time?

Which fb2k version do you use?

Reply #360
That was only one example of many... I always add the whole album at once (and who wouldnt?  ).

Reply #361
That was only one example of many... I always add the whole album at once (and who wouldnt?  ).
I too have data that appears to be missing from my playback statistics.  I couldn't catch a case where I didn't know that I didn't edit the metadata, etc. then I found a CCR album with three tracks that didn't have metadata (no play count or lastplayed, etc) and all the others do.  The key is that if you take the start time of the previous track, then add the length of the previous track and the length of the track with missing metadata you get the start time of the next track.  Also the file system has the identical last modified date and times for all of the files.
In this example track 12 doesn't have any playback statistics but those around it do.

Code: [Select]
                    Predicted   Track                                        File System Last File System
Start time  Length  Start time  Number  Track Name                          Modified Time    Size        File System Path
17:56:06    2:12    17:56:06    10      Don't Look Now (It Ain't You or Me)  9/12/2013 20:17  15,086,034  F:\My Audio\dBpoweramp\Creedence Clearwater Revival\Chronicle\2 10 - Don't Look Now (It Ain't You or Me).flac                                       
17:58:17    4:13    17:58:18    11      The Midnight Special                9/12/2013 20:17  26,949,369  F:\My Audio\dBpoweramp\Creedence Clearwater Revival\Chronicle\2 11 - The Midnight Special.flac                                       
N/A        3:28    18:02:30    12      Before You Accuse Me                9/12/2013 20:17  22,341,262  F:\My Audio\dBpoweramp\Creedence Clearwater Revival\Chronicle\2 12 - Before You Accuse Me.flac                                       
18:05:58    2:20    18:05:58    13      My Baby Left Me                      9/12/2013 20:17  16,514,462  F:\My Audio\dBpoweramp\Creedence Clearwater Revival\Chronicle\2 13 - My Baby Left Me.flac                                       
18:08:18    6:26    18:08:18    14      Pagan Baby                          9/12/2013 20:17  44,799,384  F:\My Audio\dBpoweramp\Creedence Clearwater Revival\Chronicle\2 14 - Pagan Baby.flac                                       

Reply #362
just discovered the import from file tag option, and I love it. massive save as I have been using a MAC for a while due to travelling across the world and now I have a PC setup with Foobar yet again but all my foobar setup and library was gone so having to start over with the same music.

should be able to recover quite some tags - sweet!

Reply #363
Tho I've noticed "holes" in my playback staticstics and I thought perhaps a file got modified outside of foobar2000 and caused an entry to get re-added.
But within an SACD .iso clearly one track probably won't be modified by an external application.
Here's one of several examples I've run across (the columns are %added%, $right(%last_played%,8), %length%, %tracknumber% and %path%)
And FWIW the last modified time of the .xml sidecar is 3/6/2014 12:05AM.
I have the backups of my playback statistics before and after the glitch if that would help.

Code: [Select]
The Doors    "Morrison Hotel"
2013-07-17 09:44:07  10:58:32    4:04  01 -  G:\My Audio\SACD ISOs\The Doors\Morrison Hotel 1970\The Doors - Morrison Hotel.iso
2013-07-17 09:44:07  11:02:36    3:59  02 -  G:\My Audio\SACD ISOs\The Doors\Morrison Hotel 1970\The Doors - Morrison Hotel.iso
2013-07-17 09:44:07  15:39:00    2:53  03 -  G:\My Audio\SACD ISOs\The Doors\Morrison Hotel 1970\The Doors - Morrison Hotel.iso
2013-07-17 09:44:07  15:41:53    2:50  04 -  G:\My Audio\SACD ISOs\The Doors\Morrison Hotel 1970\The Doors - Morrison Hotel.iso
2013-07-17 09:44:07  15:44:42    2:12  05 -  G:\My Audio\SACD ISOs\The Doors\Morrison Hotel 1970\The Doors - Morrison Hotel.iso
2013-07-17 09:44:07  15:46:55    3:09  06 -  G:\My Audio\SACD ISOs\The Doors\Morrison Hotel 1970\The Doors - Morrison Hotel.iso
2014-05-28 09:22:47        N/A    4:10  07 -  G:\My Audio\SACD ISOs\The Doors\Morrison Hotel 1970\The Doors - Morrison Hotel.iso
2013-07-17 09:44:07  15:54:14    4:17  08 -  G:\My Audio\SACD ISOs\The Doors\Morrison Hotel 1970\The Doors - Morrison Hotel.iso
2013-07-17 09:44:07  15:58:31    2:47  09 -  G:\My Audio\SACD ISOs\The Doors\Morrison Hotel 1970\The Doors - Morrison Hotel.iso
2013-07-17 09:44:07  16:01:18    2:35  10 -  G:\My Audio\SACD ISOs\The Doors\Morrison Hotel 1970\The Doors - Morrison Hotel.iso
2013-07-17 09:44:07  16:03:53    4:30  11 -  G:\My Audio\SACD ISOs\The Doors\Morrison Hotel 1970\The Doors - Morrison Hotel.iso

Reply #364
Potential bug report:
If I rip a brand-new CD, freedb et al won't have any data, so I get Track01, Track02, ... etc.

Playback Statistics has remembered that Track01 from Unknown Artist was added on 2014-01-01, so every time I add a fresh new FLAC file to my library and then change its tags, it still thinks it was added on 2014-01-01.

There should be an easier way to reset the Date Added tag than copying the statistics of a different file then resetting the playcount.

Reply #365
tag the album manually at the CD rip dialog? even adding just the album artist/album name/date should be enough if you don't want to update the track details just yet.

Reply #366
Any way to make this record the playcount as soon as the track plays? I usually skip the track before it's actually finished which results in the playcount not recording.

Reply #367
no. that would entirely defeat the object of something that counts plays. simply starting a track shouldn't count. you only have to listen for a minute. try and bare that if you can.

Reply #368
Potential bug report:
If I rip a brand-new CD, freedb et al won't have any data, so I get Track01, Track02, ... etc.

Playback Statistics has remembered that Track01 from Unknown Artist was added on 2014-01-01, so every time I add a fresh new FLAC file to my library and then change its tags, it still thinks it was added on 2014-01-01.

There should be an easier way to reset the Date Added tag than copying the statistics of a different file then resetting the playcount.

I've also found a similar issue. If you copy the playback statistics of one file and paste them to another, every file added after this will have the same playback statistics as the one you copied, regardless that you don't paste it to any of those files. And now if I want proper "Date Added" tags I've gotta restart my computer, then rip a file to have the proper date, and then paste it to everything, more than once if I wanna do it for multiple albums.

Reply #369
Hey gang!

I apologize if this has been answered in the depths of this thread already.

I had to re-install Windows recently and took the opportunity to start fresh with Foobar, only installing the four or five components I've been actually using the most.

One of them is foo_playcount. Now, I'm 100% sure I had this working differently in my previous install of Foobar, but the %added% tag is giving me some trouble. Check out this screenshot (I'm using Facets to view my library). So obviously what happened is that the three most recent albums there got split up by the actual time they've been added to the library; I assume this happened because foobar was running when I copied the files into my library folder and during the copy process, foo_playcount noted the time for each individual file coming into the folder.

As I said, I'm sure that this wasn't the case before. Before, as far as I remember, the time of day wasn't recorded in the %added% tag, just the date. Maybe I was running an older version of foo_playcount without knowing or I had this problem before (which would have been years ago at this point) and somehow found a workaround then. Either way, I'm not really keen on having to shut down foobar every time I copy or download new albums, just so they're properly tagged and seperated.

So is there any way to make foo_playcount ingore the time of day in the %added% tag? Or to make facets ignore the time?

Thanks in advance! I appreciate the help.

Reply #371
Well, that was easy. Thanks! Hadn't seen that page of the wiki anywhere.

Reply #372
I have a suggestion/request to the "ratings" assignment part of the plugin.

This comes yesterday after I intended to give a 5 stars ratings to a track I was listening to but ended up assigning 5 stars ratings to 200 tracks. 

Usually I listen to music while working on another application and whenever a good track is played I hit "ctrl-shift-8". This keyboard shortcut was assigned (as a global key) previously by me to "playback statistics > ratings > 5".

So here I'll describe the "accident" I had yesterday :

1. I selected playlist A and started playing track1 of that playlist.

2. While track1 was being played I selected (doubled-clicked) another playlist - playlist B -  b/c I just wanted to look at it (without performing any other action).

3. Then I went to work on another application (my browser). After 4 minutes track1 finished playing and track2 (of the same playlist A) started to play.

4. As track2 was being played I decided to give it a 5 star rating. So as usual i hit "ctrl-shift-8" (my keyboard shortcut for a 5 stars ratings)

The result of step 4 ("ctrl-shift-8") was not a 5 stars ratings to track2 but a 5 stars rating to all the 200 tracks of playlist B. This action overwrote all the previous ratings of the 200 tracks of playlist B !! 

The same problem can occur if you create a customize button in foobar and assign it with "playback statistics > ratings > 5".
The plugin works without these "accidents" only if you highlight track/tracks and use the right-click context menu.

So my request is:
Can you popup a small confirmation window before assigning ratings ?
In my example it should popup "Are you sure you want to change the ratings of 200 tracks ?"
In the case of a one track you can display the track's name.

This "confirmation popup" is done for example in foobar's built-in "File operations > delete file"

Foobar2000 1.3.7
Default UI
Win 7 x64

Thanks in Advance.

Reply #373
Why don't you apply the global shortcut to [context/ Now playing]->Playback statistics->Rating?
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe