Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tags not copied when transcoding with XLD (Read 11270 times) previous topic - next topic

Tags not copied when transcoding with XLD

Hello,

When I transcode from one format to another (have tried FLAC->AAC, FLAC->MP3, MP3->AAC) the tags present in the source file are not used in/copied to the new file. I have Automatically add tags if possible checked as well as Preserve unknown metadata if possible.

Am I missing a key step?

Thanks, Jim

Mac OS X 10.6.4, XLD 20100926

Reply #1
No tags at all?

XLD doesn't copy over the "Album Artist" tag from FLACs (and perhaps other formats - never tried with that particular tag), but it's always transferred everything else for me.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #2
No tags at all?

XLD doesn't copy over the "Album Artist" tag from FLACs (and perhaps other formats - never tried with that particular tag), but it's always transferred everything else for me.

Right, no tags -- I can take a file that has artist, album, title and track (plus others) and try transcoding, and no tags get transferred over.

If I use the default format for the filename (instead of specifying my own), it will at least preserve the file name and I can then use Media Rage to encode and decode the filename to include all of the tags I want preserved.

Reply #3
Make sure the "Edit tags before convert" box is checked. Is the correct metadata shown before you transcode?

Reply #4
Make sure the "Edit tags before convert" box is checked. Is the correct metadata shown before you transcode?

When the tag window comes up, all the fields are empty.

The tags are present when viewing in Finder, Path Finder, iTunes, and Media Rage

Reply #5
Unless you've installed some kind of additional library/plugin/whatever, you definitely shouldn't be able to see FLAC tags in the Finder or iTunes.

I just tried transcoding a couple FLACs to MP3 with the exact same version of XLD that you have, and everything transferred over perfectly.

Really not sure what's happening on your setup - it sounds like there's an option somewhere in XLD that is checked/unchecked when it should be the opposite.

Either that, or your source files are tagged very strangely.

Reply #6
Unless you've installed some kind of additional library/plugin/whatever, you definitely shouldn't be able to see FLAC tags in the Finder or iTunes.

I just tried transcoding a couple FLACs to MP3 with the exact same version of XLD that you have, and everything transferred over perfectly.

Really not sure what's happening on your setup - it sounds like there's an option somewhere in XLD that is checked/unchecked when it should be the opposite.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I could read the FLAC tags in iTunes or the Finder -- I see them in Media Rage. I do see the mp3 tags in all and they do not get copied when transcoding to AAC.

I keep poking around the options but haven't found anything that works.

Thanks for the help.

Reply #7

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I could read the FLAC tags in iTunes or the Finder -- I see them in Media Rage. I do see the mp3 tags in all and they do not get copied when transcoding to AAC.

I keep poking around the options but haven't found anything that works.

Thanks for the help.

Hi, I've got a similar problem, for XLD version 20101212 (126.2) on MacOS 10.6.5. retranscoding MP3 to MP3 with lesser sound quality.

I am trying to re-transcode 256 fixed bitrate MP3s that I originally ripped ages ago (circa 1997), to VBR MP3.  I know, not the greatest way to get good quality - but what I'm after is smaller portable files for iPod etc.

What I am trying to do is preserve the directory structure, but end up with smaller files.  The directory structure preservation works great.  But, as previous poster has noticed also - the metadata tags are all gone.  In my case all I really care about usually are Artist and Album, and they are not copied over.  The originals have these set, but the transcoded versions do not.

Anyone notice similar behavior?  I have tried several permutations in the Settings, to no avail.

Reply #8
Hello,

I have exactly the same problem:

XLD does not import any id3 metadata from mp3s.
Therefore, it is currently actually useless for converting from mp3 data.

Secondly, it seems unable to import mp4 AAC at all, while some people mention this should have worked in some older releases.

Does anybody know more on these two topics?

I would really like to build a mobile version of my music library using XLD but since I currently cannot convert mp3 nor AAC data it is unfortunately impossible....

Reply #9
Confirmed on both counts with the newest version of XLD, released yesterday (v. 20110212, 127.0).

Definitely bugs, try reporting them in this thread:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....=66076&st=0

Reply #10
OK, I did that.

There is also someone at macupdate.com who tried to track down that behavior:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23430/x-lossless-decoder

I started with a properly tagged FLAC file and exported to all formats possible in XLD; tags are preserved except for WAV/PCM (obviously) - this is correct behavior, tags were verified in Toast Titanium. Now for some conversion testing...

OK:
CD Rip -> any format: tags are found via specified CDDB server
FLAC -> any format: tags are read on import
WAV -> any format: no tags to read
WAV64 -> any format: no tags to read
WavPack -> any format: tags are read on import
Apple Lossless -> any format: tags are read on import
PCM -> any format: no tags to read

Not OK:
AIFF -> any format: tags are not read on import
MP3 -> any format: tags are not read on import
AAC -> any format: no input support (thought this worked ... maybe it's just me?)
OGG -> any format: no input support

I still like XLD, but if you are converting from AIFF/MP3/AAC/OGG to other formats, this is not the program to use apparently.

Reply #11
Hello,

I have exactly the same problem:

XLD does not import any id3 metadata from mp3s.
Therefore, it is currently actually useless for converting from mp3 data.

Secondly, it seems unable to import mp4 AAC at all, while some people mention this should have worked in some older releases.

Does anybody know more on these two topics?

I would really like to build a mobile version of my music library using XLD but since I currently cannot convert mp3 nor AAC data it is unfortunately impossible....

I have this problem, too. I am trying to convert AIFF to AAC and all tags and cover art are removed.

(I tried to report this as a bug, but I don't want my email displayed for spiders to crawl. Google won't let me leave my public email address.)