Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Not my release] Biography view (Read 490887 times) previous topic - next topic

[Not my release] Biography view

Reply #775
No change with your suggestions above. Still returning the wrong album...seems to me,  the script is still looking first at the track, then looking for the first album it finds the track in. So, it return  "Compilations", or "Greatest Hits", or "The Best of...", etc. where it finds the track, but it's hardly ever the album I have in the tag...also, obviously if the next track is not in the previous album it returns the next album it finds, but never the one in the tag, with a few exceptions of course, those being albums whose artists don't have "Compilations," or "Best of..." etc...

Ok seems that this metod not work for you, and it's waste of time to modify script.
So try this: http://pastebin.com/a5s7PSNn

Save text as: allmusic.vbs
Put file in main foobar folder.
Set character code(ANSI) - (if you later get a problem with some text characters, change this to UTF8 or UTF16)
On command line write this: cscript //nologo allmusic.vbs "%album artist%" "%album%" review|bio

This is Romor's script that can be used to display artist biography and album review according to allmusic.com

Well! Finally, the allmusic script works for me; I'm really amazed at how you all write these scripts! Thanks for all your help and support, mire777. Take good care. Cheers.

(Edit: Just for the record, in my opinion as to what I've been seeing so far, allmusic is far more comprehensive than lastfm for album info, however, for artist info, lastfm is superior).

Reply #776
No change with your suggestions above. Still returning the wrong album...seems to me,  the script is still looking first at the track, then looking for the first album it finds the track in. So, it return  "Compilations", or "Greatest Hits", or "The Best of...", etc. where it finds the track, but it's hardly ever the album I have in the tag...also, obviously if the next track is not in the previous album it returns the next album it finds, but never the one in the tag, with a few exceptions of course, those being albums whose artists don't have "Compilations," or "Best of..." etc...

Ok seems that this metod not work for you, and it's waste of time to modify script.
So try this: http://pastebin.com/a5s7PSNn

Save text as: allmusic.vbs
Put file in main foobar folder.
Set character code(ANSI) - (if you later get a problem with some text characters, change this to UTF8 or UTF16)
On command line write this: cscript //nologo allmusic.vbs "%album artist%" "%album%" review|bio

This is Romor's script that can be used to display artist biography and album review according to allmusic.com

Well! Finally, the allmusic script works for me; I'm really amazed at how you all write these scripts! Thanks for all your help and support, mire777. Take good care. Cheers.

(Edit: Just for the record, in my opinion as to what I've been seeing so far, allmusic is far more comprehensive than lastfm for album info, however, for artist info, lastfm is superior).

Hello again, are multiple languages supported in last. fm and/or Wikipedia...?

Reply #777

For echonest which pull info from wikipedia and last.fm - no.
For allmusic.com don't now?

You can set language in default foo_uie_biography, but then you should not use scripts...

Reply #778

You can set language in default foo_uie_biography, but then you should not use scripts...

Thx, mire. That's what I thought, however, is there a way to add allmusic to the available source list in Biography View: Preferences...or is this not necessary? I ask because the album.vbs script does not read the album info in allmusic. When I google an album, for example the Barry Lyndon soundtrack, I get: "Barry Lyndon (Music from the Soundtrack)" in allmusic. com with a full description, and when I put this in the album tag, it simply defaults to the image that is in that allmusic page, but it does not pick up the description. Is this the way it works...? Thx again for your time.

Reply #779

Thx, mire. That's what I thought, however, is there a way to add allmusic to the available source list in Biography View: Preferences...or is this not necessary? I ask because the album.vbs script does not read the album info in allmusic. When I google an album, for example the Barry Lyndon soundtrack, I get: "Barry Lyndon (Music from the Soundtrack)" in allmusic. com with a full description, and when I put this in the album tag, it simply defaults to the image that is in that allmusic page, but it does not pick up the description. Is this the way it works...? Thx again for your time.

No, not possible to add allmusic in source list. This is not necessary at all... Component loads allmusic.vbs, through: ''run external script''.
About second question - i really don't know, this is Romor script so he can answer about how this work...

This plugin is really great, but it is outdated..
I only hope that someone will update this component in some time, and allow as to add more sources, especially for images. We can write script that can catch images, but it's not possible that component shows img. on track change. Only after track is finished it can show more than one image.
If anyone knows where is developer, or have skills to make new biography plugin, i would like to know this?

Reply #780

No, not possible to add allmusic in source list. This is not necessary at all... Component loads allmusic.vbs, through: ''run external script''.
About second question - i really don't know, this is Romor script so he can answer about how this work...

This plugin is really great, but it is outdated..
I only hope that someone will update this component in some time, and allow as to add more sources, especially for images. We can write script that can catch images, but it's not possible that component shows img. on track change. Only after track is finished it can show more than one image.
If anyone knows where is developer, or have skills to make new biography plugin, i would like to know this?

OK. Thanks for the info. I've checked other posts and Romor's comments are more than 2 years old. I guess the only way to get hold of him would be with a PM...but who has his email...?

Reply #781
I am wondering if I can supply a default image in the BIO area when there is no image found .. ?  It is just annoying to see nothing when nothing is found. Fortunately this is rare.
Just a guy who likes to tinker.

Reply #782
there's a way to "auto-download" artist image in jpg mode?...i have an old track info mod panel showing the artists images manual downloaded.
into the panel right click there's an option to manually save, but i want to do auto

Code: [Select]
//Artists Pictures
$puts(pos.horizon2,$muldiv(%_height%,4,7))
$puts(pos.shadow2,100)
$puts(pos.artx2,$sub($div(%_width%,2),868))
$puts(pos.arty2,$sub($get(pos.horizon2),167))
$puts(path.noartist,/images/cui/noartist.png)
$puts(path.artistPath,$if($fileexists(Z:\artists pictures\%artist%.jpg),Z:\artists pictures\%artist%.jpg,$get(path.noartist)))
$puts(text.noartist,no picture)
$puts(text.artist,$if($fileexists(Z:\artists pictures\%artist%.jpg),%artist%,$get(text.noartist)))

but i want to do the work in auto mode, saving pictures in jpg.
it's possible?
thanks
more or less, minus is best

Reply #783
is the allmusic script still working? i followed the directions from post 775, but I'm not getting anything. thanks

Reply #787
i prefer last.fm for artist bios. you'll usually find much more in depth and constantly updated articles for a wider range of artists. and you can always contribute your own if you find it lacking.

Reply #788
i prefer last.fm for artist bios. you'll usually find much more in depth and constantly updated articles for a wider range of artists. and you can always contribute your own if you find it lacking.

not necessarily lacking, but last.fm bios are user submitted (often by the bands themselves, so less objective), versus a source like allmusic.

Reply #789
is the allmusic script still working? i followed the directions from post 775, but I'm not getting anything. thanks

Original script (you can easily check following my signature) works as expected.
What was mire doing I have no idea...

Reply #790
not necessarily lacking, but last.fm bios are user submitted (often by the bands themselves, so less objective), versus a source like allmusic.

yes, you do occasionally see some subjective nonsense about how awesome some artist is but i find it's mostly factual - but of course this depends entirely on the pages you encounter because of your music tastes. it can always be edited if you don't like it.

@romor, sorry i was too lazy to download the component/your script when FritzLn posted. now i know yours is working, i won't try and pimp my script in here anymore.

Reply #791
No worries Marc  your panel looks nicer for sure. Just that both components are close to dead and from my perspective I'd like to see customized on track change command (out of the box) which is so logical and could give lyrics or bio or reviews or just anything else in a simple panel. deadbeef has it

Reply #792
your panel looks nicer for sure.

not really. perhaps mine is more readable using a larger font by default but you can soon change that in the panel settings for this component. in fact the causal user has many more appearance options to play with.

i just like using WSH panel mod because i can make the interface a little bit more interactive with menus/buttons etc. also, i like the fact it updates instantly on track change when you have cached data. this component is a bit sluggish in that regard and obviously that is something beyond your control.

Reply #793
Is there as readable readme document for this component uploaded somewhere?
I'm late

Reply #794
Hello everyone o/

I've been using foobar for quite some time now and it really is a piece of awesome software.  Along with it I've been using few components and one of those is "foo_uie_biography". It has served me fine for years, but since last week, the tab I've been using for foo_uie_biography is only showing me the artists pictures but the description is nowhere to be found. I tried deleting the tab and component and "reinstalling" it but the problem doesn't go away.

Here's a screenshot of UI --> http://i.imgur.com/Lx9uKzG.png
SS of preferences --> SS1, SS2

I suppose it's an easy to solve problem but I guess I'm missing something.. If anyone has a clue how to deal with the problem, please give me a reply. Thx!
I'm okay, I sleep all night and I work all day.

Reply #795
Most likely related to last.fm (the site it's polling data from) breaking its own functionality for the time being as they transition to their new beta site.

Whether the component will work again after that concludes, don't know, and it will probably take a while.

Reply #796
I see. Thank you for the reply.  We'll see what'll happen when site is fully functional.
Also, I played around with settings, set Wiki as the main info source and got some really weird and funny biographies (think what happens if artists name is sleep )

Reply #798
It's a nice alternative and you should advertise it more along with your other mods  Thx marc!

Tomorrow I'll try to set Last.fm API account since today I can't get to open http://www.last.fm/api/account/create

Reply #799
from reading last.fm's new forum, it appears that API account creation is disabled at the moment. for other people who might read this, it's not even needed for the bio script to work - it's only needed for the similar artists/charts script.