Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to Burn to CD with Cuesheet (Read 4621 times) previous topic - next topic

How to Burn to CD with Cuesheet

Hey, I'm new to this game and need a little gentle steering.  I am converting tape recordings from live concerts to single large .wav files.  I would like to be able to add a cuesheet to the file and burn it to CD so I can skip to various points in the recording without clipping the file into separate tracks (often there is no break between the songs).  I haven't decided yet what the best file format is (mp3, ogg, FLAC, etc). so my questions are:

1)  Any advice on the best file format to use.  I will probably end up keeping the original .wav files burned on  DVDs for long-term lossless storage.  I would like to keep compressed files for my hard drive and for transferring to portable devices (like an iPod).  I don't currently own an ipod so I'm not sure what formats they support.  I'm leaning towards just using the mp3 format since I plan on keeping the original wave anyway and mp3 seems to be supported everywhere.

2)  Will cuesheets work with any file format such wav, mp3, FLAC, etc?

3)  What is the process and what program is recommend for burning to CD with a cuesheet?  Do I need to burn the image?  I've burned images before and it never seems to be a straight forward process.  Can I burn the cuesheet with the audio file to the CD as an image?  Will CDs burned as images work in regular CD players?  From what I have learned so far, I write a .txt file in the correct format and save it as a .cue extension and it's supposed to work--if I'm off on that please let me know.

4)  Are there any portable players (ipod, etc) that support cuesheets yet (anything on the horizson?)  Is there a plugin for windows media player or itunes for cuesheets?

Any help with getting my project off the ground would be greatly appreciated!

Dan

Reply #1
1. Take a look at Burrrn (http://www.burrrn.net/).For lossy, i'd go with MP3 only because it's guaranteed to work with nearly any portable device. If you're sure you'll use an ipod (or a zune), it might be better for you to use AAC. Note: If you use ipod, you can use the Rockbox firmware to support tons of audio formats. you might want to look into that.

2. The formats you've listed do support cuesheets (and you can play them back using the cuesheets in foobar), but i'm not entirely sure that ipods support mp3s with cuesheets or AAC with chapters (I'm guessing they don't).

3. I'm not sure i understood your question. Do you want to:

a. Create an Audio CD with 'tracks' based on the cuesheet you created?
If so,  take a look at Burrrn. You just load the cuesheet in and click burn. It automatically creates "tracks" based on the cuesheets.

b. Create a Data CD with the Wave File and the Cue File
The Data CD you burn (with the wav file and cuesheet) won't work in cd players. To burn this, you can just fire up Nero or whatever you use and create a data cd.  If this is what you meant, i'd recommend you convert it to some lossless format before you burn the CD.

Hope that helps

Reply #2
1. Take a look at Burrrn (http://www.burrrn.net/).For lossy, i'd go with MP3 only because it's guaranteed to work with nearly any portable device. If you're sure you'll use an ipod (or a zune), it might be better for you to use AAC. Note: If you use ipod, you can use the Rockbox firmware to support tons of audio formats. you might want to look into that.

2. The formats you've listed do support cuesheets (and you can play them back using the cuesheets in foobar), but i'm not entirely sure that ipods support mp3s with cuesheets or AAC with chapters (I'm guessing they don't).

3. I'm not sure i understood your question. Do you want to:

a. Create an Audio CD with 'tracks' based on the cuesheet you created?
If so,  take a look at Burrrn. You just load the cuesheet in and click burn. It automatically creates "tracks" based on the cuesheets.

b. Create a Data CD with the Wave File and the Cue File
The Data CD you burn (with the wav file and cuesheet) won't work in cd players. To burn this, you can just fire up Nero or whatever you use and create a data cd.  If this is what you meant, i'd recommend you convert it to some lossless format before you burn the CD.

Hope that helps

Thanks for all your advice.  On question #3:  I want to burn an audio CD that will play in a CD player with a cuesheet.  Will Burrrn divide the long file into separate tracks or simply skip to the part of the file as indicated by the cuesheet--my understanding was that it acutally used the cuesheet to divide the audio file into separate files so that when they are played back in sequence there are spaces with silence between the songs.  I would like to keep the audio file all together without any silent spaces between songs but be able to use the cuesheet to skip to different parts of the file.

Reply #3
When you use burrrn, it uses the supplied cuesheet to divide your long file into seperate tracks (which means that YOU, the person who makes the cuesheet, decide how the file is divided). The cuesheet file itself isn't present on the disc. As far as i know, the splitting will be done 'perfectly', but there will probably be a noticeable gap when the track is changing (due to the cd player).

Reply #4
I suggest using Exact Audio Copy. If you already have the WAVs and written your own CUE sheets for the WAVs, just drop the CUE into EAC's Write feature. I just used it today to burn a lost CD that was continuous media and I do not hear any gap between tracks.

Some people say that EAC is a nightmare but I disagree. Sure it takes about 5 minutes to configure your CD drive but as long as you just read what each page has to say, you can get through it flawlessly.
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(