Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Running CUERipper on Linux (Read 12825 times) previous topic - next topic

Running CUERipper on Linux

Hello,
I'm in the progress of finishing my tool perfect-flac-encode which is a Linux bash shell script.
CUERipper would be very nice for ripping the input WAV images I guess.

I've gotten it to run under Ubuntu 12.04 with Wine but it won't detect the CD drive.
The Wiki says "Users report they have been able to use it under linux, using Mono," but doesn't state any instructions on how to get it to run.

Can someone help me getting it to run? I only need the ability to rip WAV image+CUE+LOG, no encoding is needed.
I would be glad for a list of needed packages for example as Mono is a rather huge framework and I don't want to blindly install lots of stuff.

Thank you

Reply #1
Hello,
I'm in the progress of finishing my tool perfect-flac-encode which is a Linux bash shell script.
CUERipper would be very nice for ripping the input WAV images I guess.

I've gotten it to run under Ubuntu 12.04 with Wine but it won't detect the CD drive.
The Wiki says "Users report they have been able to use it under linux, using Mono," but doesn't state any instructions on how to get it to run.

Can someone help me getting it to run? I only need the ability to rip WAV image+CUE+LOG, no encoding is needed.
I would be glad for a list of needed packages for example as Mono is a rather huge framework and I don't want to blindly install lots of stuff.

Thank you

I have absolutely no cue+log experience, but perhaps there are other options, native to linux? Perhaps some of these? In fact I have never tried them 

cdemu
mount the iso and split the waves based on the cue text-mode information (scripting, using some ready-made cue tools)...

I know I am just talking but it seems viable to me - image is mountable, cue is a text-mode parseable file, the log is... I have no idea

Often the windows-world programs can be  replaced relatively easily by a combination of flexible tools linux offers on hand, if you do not need the GUI.

Reply #2
Have you already detected your drives under Wine preferences?

Also take into account Wine doesn't work with USB devices.

Reply #3
I have absolutely no cue+log experience, but perhaps there are other options, native to linux? Perhaps some of these? In fact I have never tried them

I don't know of any Linux CD ripping software which has AccurateRip support AND is well-tested. I've searched for quite some time.
The only thing which I found is morituri and it continously crashes during ripping.

Of course I would be glad if you pointed me out to a native solution though!

cdemu
mount the iso and split the waves based on the cue text-mode information (scripting, using some ready-made cue tools)...

Thanks but this thread is not about splitting WAVs, I wrote my own script for that.
I need a CD ripping software which supports AccurateRip and can produce WAV images + CUE + LOG. Split tracks are not needed and not wanted, I want to do that on my own.

Thank you.

Reply #4
Have you already detected your drives under Wine preferences?

You mean winecfg?
The "Drives" tab AFAIK is about mountpoints. Ripping software needs direct access to the drive so I don't understand how setting a mount point would make sense as an Audio CD is not mounted. Or which part of winecfg do you mean?

Also take into account Wine doesn't work with USB devices.

My drive does not seem to be attached via USB:
Code: [Select]
[    1.019110] sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
[    1.019254] sr 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0

Thank you.

Reply #5
I mean this screen:

You should click on "Autodetect" here. If a letter is not assigned to your CD drive Cuetools could fail to detect it.

Reply #6
I mean this screen:

You should click on "Autodetect" here. If a letter is not assigned to your CD drive Cuetools could fail to detect it.

Thanks. Thats exactly what I was talking about. This is about mount points, not block devices. You cannot mount an audio CD, it contains no file system. That screen makes no sense for audio CDs.
You can test it: It will only autodetect the CD drives if a data CD is inserted, not with an audio disc.

For validating what I just claimed, I also added /dev/cdrom as D: and CUETools still won't detect it.

Reply #7
The only thing which I found is morituri and it continously crashes during ripping.

I told you I had no clue

Morituri seems to be the tool you are looking for indeed. Also its development seems to be fairly active http://thomas.apestaart.org/morituri/svn/trunk/ChangeLog . Did you contact the author about the crashes?

IMO a solution complicated with wine has many impractical aspects, license conditions aside.

I keep my fingers crossed, your effort is greatly applauded.

Reply #8
Thanks. Thats exactly what I was talking about. This is about mount points, not block devices. You cannot mount an audio CD, it contains no file system. That screen makes no sense for audio CDs.

Well, I think it makes sense and it's indeed necessary. You have to tell wine somehow where is the CD and to what letter it should be assigned.

For validating what I just claimed, I also added /dev/cdrom as D: and CUETools still won't detect it.

Have you set the type as CD-ROM?

I won't keep insisting since you seem to know what are you talking about (and know more than me about the subject).

Several posts where you may find what causes your problem:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?...TestingId=67469
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-386370.html
http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=58359#58359

(Note that some additional steps shall be done if you are using udev)

Reply #9

Well, I think it makes sense and it's indeed necessary. You have to tell wine somehow where is the CD and to what letter it should be assigned.

Have you set the type as CD-ROM?

I won't keep insisting since you seem to know what are you talking about (and know more than me about the subject).

Several posts where you may find what causes your problem:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?...TestingId=67469
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-386370.html
http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=58359#58359

(Note that some additional steps shall be done if you are using udev)

You are right! I tried the following method, which is suggested in your links:
- Insert a data CD
- Tell KDE to mount the CD ("Open with file manager"). It will result in a mountpoint /media/cdrom
- Start CUERipper
- Replace the data CD with an audio CD.

The audio CD is detected!

The implementation of wine sucks there. It should not require a data CD to be mounted for being able to detect the CD drive.
Audio CDs are a perfect example of CDs which just CANNOT be mounted, so it makes no sense at all to expect a mount point.
I guess I will have to file a bug at the wine bugtracker.

THANK YOU for keeping to believe in what you said originally and trying to prove it with links.

Reply #10
Unfortunately, ripping seems to fail for all CDs at random progress with the error message: "Exception: Error reading CD: IoctlFailed"

So I would still be glad if someone told me how to run it with Mono, maybe it works then.

Reply #11
Glad I cound help although my arguments were not technically correct.

I tested CUERipper some time ago under Debian Squeeze and didn't manage to get it working. I was hopping that it was possible with a newer version of Mono.
Under the same system both EAC 0.99 and dBpoweramp worked, are these alternatives for you?

Reply #12
You can try Rubyripper. I recommend starting with a recent git version, but possibly not the latest. If you do start with the current stable release, do be aware that it was still the default to prepend pre-gaps to their respective tracks, rather than append them to the previous track as EAC does by default, and as most CUE-less TOC generation schemes expect. If you use the command-line interface, you'll also have to change that setting in the configuration file, as there is no menu option to change it in the program, yet?

Reply #13
Glad I cound help although my arguments were not technically correct.
Your arguments were not even incorrect. The implementation of wine is just VERY WEIRD in this case. It doesn't make any sense to require a block device to be mounted for being used as a non-mounted block device. No sane developer would expect such a thing, thats why I believed you were incorrect.

Under the same system both EAC 0.99 and dBpoweramp worked, are these alternatives for you?
Both are closed source software and I want to go full open source. The latest EAC works fine under Wine though (with some tweaks).

Reply #14
You can try Rubyripper. I recommend starting with a recent git version, but possibly not the latest. If you do start with the current stable release, do be aware that it was still the default to prepend pre-gaps to their respective tracks, rather than append them to the previous track as EAC does by default, and as most CUE-less TOC generation schemes expect. If you use the command-line interface, you'll also have to change that setting in the configuration file, as there is no menu option to change it in the program, yet?
Thank you. I didn't know about that one. Unfortunately, my desire is to do absolutely perfect rips and thats why I need AccurateRip at least, which it doesn't seem to support from what I can tell from the web. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Also, I would really like to use a well-tested, much-used software with active development, not some niche solution :| CUERipper seems to be the most widely used besides EAC/dBPA. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

Reply #16
What about http://thomas.apestaart.org/morituri/trac/ ?

And ... if you can get CUETools to check the rips against AccurateRip after having ripped, then you are on safe ground on those rips which turn out verified.

I am not sure of your use model, but I can offer my experiences just in case I found soumething of use to you. I have used K3B and sound juicer to rip audio. K3B seems to work better and also seems to execute stand-alone applications from its gui.

I have used K3B to create flac with cue and the playback works fine in audacious. Track listing and track cue works fine with one continuous lossless rip for identical playback as if on a stand-alone CD player, without any annoying gaps in between tracks like on Dark Side of the Moon where the rip is unlistenable because of the silence stuck into the transitions between tracks. Then if you want to skip to a particular song, the cue lines up right at the correct spot, plus you can edit the cue if you are not happy with its timing. No need for WINE at all.

As far as I know, K3B is merely a gui for a set of CD/DVD ripping and burning tools in Ubuntu. I think K3B sets up command lines with pipes in order to complete the actions such as rip audio cd to flac with cue.

The only trouble I have with K3B is when ripping CD's in Ubuntu 11.10 on one particular hardware platform, 1 in 10 discs crashes the OS. Not duplicated fault on my other platforms running 12.04, no crashes of any sort. On the one system with 11.10 I tried sound juicer but it made mistakes in the track ordering so I gave up ripping on this one machine.

I had to install FLAC and other tools separately to get them working under K3B. Also, due to proprietary codec issues, the DVD ripping function is not installed. There is a web page somewhere that explains how to build K3B from source to include DVD ripping. I tried it once and the build was successful but ripping did not work, so either I did something wrong or the instructions are out of date. Anyway, you did not mention DVD ripping so I suppose that is not on your agenda. If you really want to do it though you can use Handbrake installed from PPA. You can also rip DVD to iso file with K3B and then transcode that with Handbrake.

The audio rips K3B does are fine. I did not figure out what cdparanoia level 1,2, and 3 does and there are no instructions anywhere that I could find with a google search on how to use cdparanoia, but it says that it will repeatedly read bad sectors until a good read comes through in order to get a flawless rip. Level 3 seems to never complete so maybe it is broken. I set it to 2 and have never had any rip problems that I can detect. Neither did I get any errors using level 1. Then again, I am not exactly a computer-literate audiophile, just a lowly electrical engineer with a penchant for open source solutions, so maybe I am just not understanding your use model.

Perhaps you can try using K3B and tracking down what it executes in its command line shell script from the program paths and options that are stored in its setup. It claims that it uses cdparanoia and maybe accruaterip also uses cdparanoia or some other similar algorithm. Remember, to get flac working you have to install that package separately.

Good luck, let us know how your project turns out!

Reply #18
Sorry I mentioned Rubyripper, since it doesn't support AccurateRip. It should be able to produce verifiable rips, though.

Reply #19
If you do start with the current stable release, do be aware that it was still the default to prepend pre-gaps to their respective tracks, rather than append them to the previous track as EAC does by default, and as most CUE-less TOC generation schemes expect.

I just used 0.6.2 (from getdeb) for a bunch of discs. Should i discard and start again?
She is waiting in the air

Reply #21
If you do start with the current stable release, do be aware that it was still the default to prepend pre-gaps to their respective tracks, rather than append them to the previous track as EAC does by default, and as most CUE-less TOC generation schemes expect.

I just used 0.6.2 (from getdeb) for a bunch of discs. Should i discard and start again?

According to the rubyripper docs:
Additionally please note these are only to do with multiple files, with single files it's different as there are no appending and prepending issues with local storage.
I should not worry then because i was using single (flac) file with cuesheet
She is waiting in the air