Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audition 4? (Read 7460 times) previous topic - next topic

Audition 4?

It seems Audition 4 is out, (in Production CS5.5 bundle)
Has anyone here tried it yet, so to share impressions?
Except Mac support and deeper pipes with other Adobe products, I don't see much news

It's only PC, Mac version is not ready yet (except beta from couple of month ago)

Audition 4?

Reply #2
Reckless, I tried it:

Launches in second with new UI - reworked menu, dialogs, elements... plain slick look
Drop FLAC and libsndfile takes care of decoding - again in just a second
There is waveform view and spectral (additional). Other views as in Au 3 are non-existent
Help system is Mac-ish Adobe Air app (or user's browser optionally)
As read from Andy's link, no MIDI, no CD, no scripting...

Looks like a different product, fast and responsive which suites me as I don't think we needed next bloated DAW

In action:

While foobar2000 plays this track with 0 CPU, Au takes some of it (without effects, simple playing of any kind encoded file)

Back on playing

edit: Hm, seems there is no way of browsing waveform with middle click

Audition 4?

Reply #3
There are lot of things to write about this new version. I'll note just this:

Popular "Find single click" is missing, although "healing brush" can do the job

None of filters works for me:
Error: File not supported by any currently registered plug-ins.

Too bad if there isn't way to link those filters again

This are supported formats:

I noticed screenshot from my previous post was resized during uploading, so i rehosted it here (1920x1052): http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2742/sshot5t.png

Audition 4?

Reply #4
I tried the Mac public beta a few weeks ago and really liked it. Very fast, intuitive and (IMHO) pretty user interface. Details on the feature set are available in this thread and the links therein.

Note that some of the features from Audition 3 (like CD burning and tone/noise generation) are missing in Audition CS 5.5 but will be back in CS 6 next year.

Edit: 2 questions to klonuo: 1. Did you have to download the entire production bundle to get this Windows version? It seems Audition CS 5.5 cannot be downloaded separately (yet). 2. Did you have to do something special to get "libsndfile" into the "Supported formats" list, or does it come like this out of the box?

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Audition 4?

Reply #5
Note that some of the features from Audition 3 (like CD burning and tone/noise generation) are missing in Audition CS 5.5 but will be back in CS 6 next year.

Good point, I totally missed generators.
It seems like Au and Sb are merged in one product, and while you'll always miss what's missing I'm still under impression that compromises been made are acceptable for me (if price is not )

Edit: 2 questions to klonuo: 1. Did you have to download the entire production bundle to get this Windows version? It seems Audition CS 5.5 cannot be downloaded separately (yet). 2. Did you have to do something special to get "libsndfile" into the "Supported formats" list, or does it come like this out of the box?

Well, it depends on your approach. AFAIK Au 4 is part of Production Premium and Master Collection bundles. You can get them from adobe.com using trial2 domain and your Adobe account (it's a free trial)

I could not test all supported formats, but for example MPC support in libsndfile does not stand for musepack, while speex can be decoded by QT although there is not SPX on screenshot
Output formats are limited to WAV/AIFF/MOV(audio) and additional MP3 (FhG)

Audition 4?

Reply #6
Output formats are limited to WAV/AIFF/MOV(audio) and additional MP3 (FhG)

I am disappointed by the limitations in output formats.  It appears that with the code rewrite, the old cool_lame and similar flt format plugins won't work.  Has anyone tried?
Edit:  I see from their forums that FLAC export is on their "to do" list.