Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wavpack Image w/embedded Cue Sheet Using EAC (Read 7934 times) previous topic - next topic

Wavpack Image w/embedded Cue Sheet Using EAC

Tools Used:
Wavpack 4.2
EAC v05b2Dao
Foobar2000 v083 - Speacil

It seems the more I read, the more questions I have!

My Goal is to create wavpack Image File with Embedded Cue Sheet incl as much tag info as possible and Replaygain. I hope to be able to Archive music in this way without losing the ability to play and view tracks. I have been sucessful with flac images and I hope to find wavpak as useful if not more.

I am using this command in EAC

-h -m -w "CUESHEET=@CDImage.wv.cue" -w "Track=%n" -w "Title=%t" -w "Artist=%a" -w "Album=%g" -w "Date=%y" -w "Genre=%m" -w "Comment=Exact Audio Copy & WavPack 4.2" %s %d

then I rip by:
EAC: Action --> Copy Image & Create CUE Sheet --> Compressed...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I am not mistaken its still not possible to embed cue from EAC?
What about replaygain can it be applied from EAC as well?

So, can someone explain to me in clear step by step detail on how to add all the tagging info into the cue and then embed it into the image file? I have attempted to do this with Foobar by right clicking on the file in foobar and selecting properties but still success is evading me.

Is they're a better command line choice the the one I am using?
Is they're a command for adding replaygain at the command line in EAC?

Also, if I am transcoding the image file into ogg or mp3's using a program like dbpoweramp will the data from the APEv2 tag be applied correctly to the ID3 or Ogg tags?

Thank you to all in advance!

Reply #1
I too would like to know if its possible to apply replaygain after ripping with EAC. single file & cd image and cue methods

Currently i rip with eac to wavpack (seperate files so i can play them on my H140) i use mareo and wapet to to get them all tagged correct with apev2, but how can replaygain be applied?

Reply #3
Tools Used:
Wavpack 4.2
EAC v05b2Dao
Foobar2000 v083 - Speacil
I am using this command in EAC

-h -m -w "CUESHEET=@CDImage.wv.cue" -w "Track=%n" -w "Title=%t" -w "Artist=%a" -w "Album=%g" -w "Date=%y" -w "Genre=%m" -w "Comment=Exact Audio Copy & WavPack 4.2" %s %d

then I rip by:
EAC: Action --> Copy Image & Create CUE Sheet --> Compressed...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I am not mistaken its still not possible to embed cue from EAC?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312236"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For WavPack CDImage*:
-w "CUESHEET=@CDImage.wv.cue" -w "Date=%y" -w "Genre=%m" -w "Comment=Exact Audio Copy & WavPack 4.2" %s %d

*EAC: Action --> Copy Image & Create CUE Sheet --> Compressed...
Save in: Folder where is wavpack.exe
File name: CDImage

Reply #4
For the time being, you can use Foobar2k to apply replaygain to WavPack files. You can save the replaygain info in the wavpack file headers, or in the cue sheet.

I don't think you can embed a cue sheet inside a wavpack file, however.

Reply #5
You and me both.

Wavpack 4.1 thread - RG tool discussion

RG tool request thread
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312266"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

David is now focusing on code optimizations for the M68k platform, so that it can run smoothly (both decoding and encoding!) on the RockBox. And I gotta say, it does indeed work like a charm in an iRiver iHP 120!

I don't think you can embed a cue sheet inside a wavpack file, however.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312304"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can. Use foobar for that.

Reply #6
How do I do it? I can't find anything about that in the menus.

Reply #7
David is now focusing on code optimizations for the M68k platform, so that it can run smoothly (both decoding and encoding!) on the RockBox. And I gotta say, it does indeed work like a charm in an iRiver iHP 120!

I'm using H140 and wavpack on rockbox is working really well (playback,skip,ff,gapless all good) better than flac.., maybe its placebo effect. infact rockbox is in a really useable state, i havnt had a crash or bug in days.

Is there anyway of using foobar from a commandline to replaygain or imbed a cue sheet into wavpack?, i'm just thinking of scripting possibility.

Reply #8
How do I do it? I can't find anything about that in the menus.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312334"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Copy the contents of your Cue Sheet(to paste later).
Add the WavPack image to your playlist in fb2k and rightclick on it and select properties.
Paste the contents of your Cue Sheet into a "CUESHEET" tag and select "update" and then "Reload info from file".

I don't use WavPack or make images myself, so the above is just theory, but i think that it's correct... -Martin.

Reply #9
in this thread, starting at about page 4, i posed the same quesion, and synthetic soul wrote me an awsome batch file that does everything for me.  i dont replaygain my wavpack images, so thats not part of the process, but the creation and tagging of the file is all done for you.  sorry the thread is pretty bloated w/ my dumb questions; i was very slow at understanding and getting everything together, but synthetic soul was really patient w/ me.  regardless, the final product turned out great in my opinion.  it might be exactly what you are looking for.
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.

Reply #10
If you want to embed the cuesheet via command line I think there's two main options:

1. Use WavPacks' inbuilt tagging while encoding.  As stated above this would mean adding the switch:

-w "CUESHEET=@<path to cuesheet>"

... to you command line.

The switch that you quote in the first post (-w "CUESHEET=@CDImage.wv.cue") will work if the cuesheet is in the same folder as WavPack, or maybe in a folder listed in your PATH environment variable.

2. If the WavPack file has already been encoded you can use my adapted version of Tag, with a command something like:

TAG.EXE -f "CUESHEET=<path to cuesheet>" "<path to wavpack file>"

NB: VCSkier and I have actually worked on the batch files since the thread quoted, which allow him to encode to track MP3s as part of the same process (using ACDIR to pipe the track data to LAME).  I'm doing something very similar with my Monkey's Audio archives.

Thanks to VCSkier for his kind words.  It was really no problem.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #11
Ahhh, so it's a tag. Thanks for the tip.

Reply #12
If you want to embed the cuesheet via command line I think there's two main options:

1. Use WavPacks' inbuilt tagging while encoding.  As stated above this would mean adding the switch:

-w "CUESHEET=@<path to cuesheet>"

... to you command line.

The switch that you quote in the first post (-w "CUESHEET=@CDImage.wv.cue") will work if the cuesheet is in the same folder as WavPack, or maybe in a folder listed in your PATH environment variable.

2. If the WavPack file has already been encoded you can use my adapted version of Tag, with a command something like:

TAG.EXE -f "CUESHEET=<path to cuesheet>" "<path to wavpack file>"

NB: VCSkier and I have actually worked on the batch files since the thread quoted, which allow him to encode to track MP3s as part of the same process (using ACDIR to pipe the track data to LAME).  I'm doing something very similar with my Monkey's Audio archives.

Thanks to VCSkier for his kind words.   It was really no problem.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312474"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I really appreciate your response, Synthetic Soul!

But I am still confused because I must be doing something wrong in the path because when I load the wv file into foobar all I see is CDImage.wv.wav with no tagging info appearing.
The cue file can be found in the same directory but not embedded and when the cue is loaded into foorbar it loads as CDImage.wv.cue and error an occurs.
INFO (CORE) : startup time: 500 ms
ERROR (foo_input_std) : referenced file doesn't exist
INFO (CORE) : opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://I:\CDImage.wv.cue" (1)
ERROR (CORE) : error opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://I:\CDImage.wv.cue" (1)

Can you help me understand whats goin on here?

Note: I Used EAC to create the Image file.

Reply #13
See my post here regarding a similar problem with FLAC.

Basically, your cuesheet, "CDImage.wv.cue", is looking for "CDImage.wv" - but EAC has named the WavPack file "CDImage.wv.wv".

Just rename "CDImage.wv.wv" to "CDImage.wv".

Read my other post for some additional help.

Edit: Hang on, are you saying your file is called "CDImage.wv.wav", or was that a typo?

But I am still confused because I must be doing something wrong in the path because when I load the wv file into foobar all I see is CDImage.wv.wav with no tagging info appearing.

You don't state how you tried to embed the cuesheet in the first place.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #14
See my post here regarding a similar problem with FLAC.

Basically, your cuesheet, "CDImage.wv.cue", is looking for "CDImage.wv" - but EAC has named the WavPack file "CDImage.wv.wv".

Just rename "CDImage.wv.wv" to "CDImage.wv".

Read my other post for some additional help.

Edit: Hang on, are you saying your file is called "CDImage.wv.wav", or was that a typo?

You don't state how you tried to embed the cuesheet in the first place.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=313001"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I thought my command line option in EAC was correct for embedded cue sheets.
yes my final file is CDImage.wv.wav
And I dont know why my final file is wav instead of wv.

Reply #15
I think the reason that you are left with a WAVE is your switch to embed the cuesheet:

-w "CUESHEET=@CDImage.wv.cue"

This will only work if the cuesheet (and therefore WAVE file) are in the same folder as WavPack.

Because WavPack can't find the file you reference it is quitting.

If you always save your image in the same folder use that in the switch, e.g.:

-w "CUESHEET=@E:\CDBackup\CDImage.wv.cue"

WavPack should then run correctly.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #16
I think the reason that you are left with a WAVE is your switch to embed the cuesheet:

-w "CUESHEET=@CDImage.wv.cue"

This will only work if the cuesheet (and therefore WAVE file) are in the same folder as WavPack.

Because WavPack can't find the file you reference it is quitting.

If you always save your image in the same folder use that in the switch, e.g.:

-w "CUESHEET=@E:\CDBackup\CDImage.wv.cue"

WavPack should then run correctly.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=313111"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I Still end up with wave file
CDImage.wv.wav
CDImage.wv.cue
Album Log file

Note: When EAC ask for location to save to I select I:\
        And EAC settings,  directory choice is I:\
        And I have tried with Delete Wave after extraction selection (checked & Unchecked)

Log file:
Read mode  : Secure with C2, accurate stream, disable cache
Read offset correction : 6
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out : Yes

Used output format : C:\Program Files\Lossless\wavpack\wavpack.exe  (User Defined Encoder)
                    256 kBit/s
                    Additional command line options : -h -m -w "CUESHEET=@I:\CDImage.wv.cue" -w "Track=%n" -w "Title=%t" -w "Artist=%a" -w "Album=%g" -w "Date=%y" -w "Genre=%m" -w "Comment=Exact Audio Copy & WavPack 4.2" %s %d

Other options      :
    Fill up missing offset samples with silence : No
    Delete leading and trailing silent blocks : No
    Installed external ASPI interface

Range status and errors
Selected range
    Filename I:\CDImage.wv.wav

Peak level 100.0 %
    Range quality 100.0 %
    CRC 1C1AEF62
    Copy OK

No errors occured

End of status report

Reply #17
ohdeus:
I tried your exact command-line (except I replaced I: with E:) and the WavPack file was created correctly. I'm not sure what's going on there.

But there is another problem.  You are creating a single file to be the image of the entire album, but you are also telling WavPack to put the track name and number in the APE tag. This doesn't make sense because there's a different name and number for each track. When I did it exactly like this I get bad names when I load into foobar. Really, if you're using the embedded cuesheet method, then you really only need the cuesheet in there, but you must at least take out the track name and number.

I created a special version of the wavpack command-line program to debug these types of problems that might be handy here. It's exactly like the standard command-line version except it displays the exact list of arguments that it gets (which you normally can't see) and it also writes all output (including any terminating error) to a file called C:\wavpack.log that can be examined to determine why it might have quit. Each run gets added to this file, so it probably shouldn't be used for everyday use.

I uploaded it here:

http://www.wavpack.com/wavpack_debug.zip

Synthetic Soul:
Also, I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank you for all of your help, not just in this thread but in all the others and for the work you put into your batch files. It's all very much appreciated!! 

Reply #18
From what I can see, the only reason to be left with CDImage.wv.wav is that WavPack is never getting to run.

With this in mind, I think trying the debug version bryant has posted should finally pinpoint your problem.  I tested it with your original command and sure enough the log file highlights that the cuesheet switch is the culprit ("error in tag spec: CUESHEET=@CDImage.wv.cue !").  Definately a handy tool to have.

To corroborate bryant's results I have also run your current command line with a valid cuesheet path - with no problems.

The -w switch was introduced in WavPack 4.2b3.  Can you confirm that you are using the latest version?  If I use 4.2b2 with your command line Wavpack exits prematurely.  You need to ensure you have 4.2, or 4.2b3+.

Also, I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank you for all of your help, not just in this thread but in all the others and for the work you put into your batch files. It's all very much appreciated!! 

I'm very glad to be of some help.  Many thanks for your recognition, and work.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #19
From what I can see, the only reason to be left with CDImage.wv.wav is that WavPack is never getting to run.

With this in mind, I think trying the debug version bryant has posted should finally pinpoint your problem.  I tested it with your original command and sure enough the log file highlights that the cuesheet switch is the culprit ("error in tag spec: CUESHEET=@CDImage.wv.cue !").  Definately a handy tool to have.

To corroborate bryant's results I have also run your current command line with a valid cuesheet path - with no problems.

The -w switch was introduced in WavPack 4.2b3.  Can you confirm that you are using the latest version?  If I use 4.2b2 with your command line Wavpack exits prematurely.  You need to ensure you have 4.2, or 4.2b3+.

I'm very glad to be of some help.  Many thanks for your recognition, and work.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=313260"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I downloaded a new wavpack just to be sure.

I Have tried these command line options

-w "CUESHEET=@I:\CDImage.wv.cue" -w "Date=%y" -w "Genre=%m" -w "Comment=Exact Audio Copy & WavPack 4.2" %s %d

And This

-h -m -w "CUESHEET=@I:\CDImage.wv.cue" -w "Track=%n" -w "Title=%t" -w "Artist=%a" -w "Album=%g" -w "Date=%y" -w "Genre=%m" -w "Comment=Exact Audio Copy & WavPack 4.2" %s %d

And This
-h -m -w "CUESHEET=@I:\CDImage.wv.cue" -w "Artist=%a" -w "Album=%g" -w "Date=%y" -w "Genre=%m" -w "Comment=Exact Audio Copy & WavPack 4.2" %s %d

I'm not to sure how I am to use the wavepack_debug file but I put it in place of the original wavpack file and gave it a try with the same results.

I believe after the cdimage is ripped the encoder never even loads.
But I have no error messages either.

And many thanks for all the help - you guys are great!

Reply #20
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=313493"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmm. I think you're right that wavpack.exe is not running. If you select the "check for external program's return code" you might get some information.

Also, under EAC options --> tools do not select "do not open external compressor window" so you can see if a DOS window pops up when wavpack.exe tries to run. If you compress a whole CD image this should be up for at least a minute.

Hope this helps...

Reply #21
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=313493"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmm. I think you're right that wavpack.exe is not running. If you select the "check for external program's return code" you might get some information.

Also, under EAC options --> tools do not select "do not open external compressor window" so you can see if a DOS window pops up when wavpack.exe tries to run. If you compress a whole CD image this should be up for at least a minute.

Hope this helps...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=313501"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is sooooooooo embarrasing!!!!!!!!

I was trying to save the file on a Hard Drive that was full.

But to be fair I was doing other things wrong that you guys helped tremendously with.

my first wv file loaded with tag info present and is now playing in foobar.  Its Great!

All the tagging info seems to be present as well. I have album, artists, track #s, genre, and comment -- very cool.

Almost forgot,
After the wv file is created there is a cue sheet that is not embedded as well, Am I correct to assume I can trash it - It having no use?

Reply #22
This is sooooooooo embarrasing!!!!!!!!

I was trying to save the file on a Hard Drive that was full.

That's not really embarrassing.  It's one of those factors you don't tend to really think about.

At least now it is working.

After the wv file is created there is a cue sheet that is not embedded as well, Am I correct to assume I can trash it - It having no use?

Basically, yes.  As long as it has embedded successfully you do not need the CUE file any longer.  I keep mine as I archive to DVD and I figure a few extra KB won't hurt.  I embed because then I only have to really worry about one file corrupting.

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Edit: spelling[/span]
I'm on a horse.