Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Who's in charge at hydrogenaudio? (Read 4986 times) previous topic - next topic

Who's in charge at hydrogenaudio?

I'm curious how it runs, how decisions are made, where the buck stops.

Reply #1
Why, got a problem with TOS8?

Reply #2
Inquiring minds want to know.

Reply #3
If we told you we would have to kill you.

Finding out who is in charge is pretty trivial, however...

Main Page -> Members -> Change drop-down list to "Admin" -> Click "Go!"

Reply #4
The cabals are usually hidden; those in visible positions of "power" hardly aware of their influence (even when many IRL influences are, say, emergent at most).

But I probably already said too much...

Reply #5
Thanks, greynol.  Here's what I see there:

Do they own the site?  Or is it a non-profit organization.

I know who Peter and Garf are.

Reply #6
Well, Dibrom is the founding father of HA and the force behind how the site operates, particularly TOS #8.

I believe he started the site mainly out of frustration with how the old r3mix.com site was being run, with no real emphasis on a demand for proof of statements about audio quality.

He was very active in the early days, much less so now, but he still puts in an appearance from time to time. I for one will always be grateful for his contribution to the field of digital audio.

Reply #7
I think you might find this link more informative: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....mp;CODE=leaders
Note that some of the people listed are not very active anymore (including myself).

HA is run as non-profit. The server bill is picked up by a member of the administration. Revenue from the ads have varied heavily during HA's lifetime but rarely surpass server costs significantly.

Moderators and admins (as listed in the link above) handle most issues autonomously, while conflict escalation is usually handled by consensus, which is rarely ever hard to reach. There is no rigid hierarchy, however it is natural that the word of the most senior and most active people have more weight. The admins and mods are self-appointed based on mutual trust and active involvement with the site; many since the beginning 10 years ago.

I hope that satisfies some curiosity.

Reply #8
It does.  Thank you for taking a moment to describe it.

How could I help support the cost of servers?