Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wrong genre detection (Read 2016 times) previous topic - next topic

Wrong genre detection

Hey everyone!

ColumnsUI/Filters are detecting wrong genre of some mp3s.
Post Rock are being detected as Instrumental Rock.

It happens only with some albums. The majority are correctly detected.

I've already tried:
- Checking the ID3 TAG with Mp3Tag
- Deleting all Library entries and scanning the folders again

Any help?

Thanks!

Wrong genre detection

Reply #2
If you'll check this handy ID3v1 genre list, you'll find there is no Post Rock genre supported.

Thanks kode.

Well, I'm using ID3v2 with Mp3tag v.2.49. I doubled checked it for genre="Post Rock". Its like 99% appears OK ("Post Rock") on foobar2k but there are these albums that still "instrumental rock" 

Wrong genre detection

Reply #3
That is because whatever tagger you are using is setting the ID3v1 genre to "Instrumental Rock" and foobar2000 picks the field which resolves to the longest string. Maybe it should always override the genre field when picking ID3v2 over ID3v1?

Wrong genre detection

Reply #4
Since the question has come up, I would say that the ID3v2 tag in its entirety (i.e. all fields) should be preferred wherever available, really. Who is going to have v1 fields that are correct but v2 fields that are botched/truncated? It seems to be an exceptional scenario that foobar2000 should not go out of its way to avert.

Wrong genre detection

Reply #5
Hey there,

well, I found out that there are plenty of mp3s in my library tagged with id3v1 (and v2)
I'll batch remove all v1 and keep only v2.

Problem solved removing id3v1.

Thanks!

Wrong genre detection

Reply #6
Yep, I did it!

Removed all id3v1 from my library!
Preserved APE tag for mp3gain analysis though.

Thanks!