IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> foobar2000 General Forum Rules

This is NOT a tech support forum.
Tech support questions go to foobar2000 Tech Support forum instead.

See also: Hydrogenaudio Terms of Service.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Audio Balancer?
Smashbro29
post Oct 3 2014, 03:57
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 117452

Is there any setting or plugin to automatically normalize the volume? I read there's a way to do it by track or album but that's very tedious.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dhromed
post Oct 3 2014, 08:51
Post #2

Member No.: 51347

By normalize you actually mean replaygain, I suppose? Just scan the tracks with foobar, and set the appropriate preference in Preferences > Playback.

You need to scan your library, obviously. Programs can't telepathically know the average loudness of a song in advance.
+Quote Post
mire777
post Oct 3 2014, 09:37
Post #3

Member No.: 100550

This plugin EBU R128 Compressor work in the same way as replay gain scan, but it work on the fly, so no need to write anything in tags or analize, just play the song, all will be on the same level..
I think this is better, work fine for me..
+Quote Post
carpman
post Oct 3 2014, 11:59
Post #4

Group: Developer
Member No.: 44789

@mire777
I might be wrong (and will happily be corrected), but my understanding is that this component is not the same as Replay Gain in that it makes adjustments on the fly as a compressor to adjust the loudness of the audio.

It's currently hard coded to maintain a preview latency of 500ms, and uses the short-term loudness level measured from a three second window as the gain correction reference, which it updates every 100ms. I may make this configurable in the future.

So it looks 3 seconds ahead (and computes the required gain adjustment every 1/10th of a second), so if the audio is loud it will lower the volume in accordance with the EBU128 spec. So it works like the DR compressors of a radio station, which is good when listening to speech or streaming audio from YouTube etc ... but I don't think this is a replacement for Replay Gain since unlike RG it will adjust the loudness mid track, reducing and boosting as it goes; this may not be very noticeable on modern pre-squashed music, but for very dynamic music (symphonies etc..) this will alter the audio significantly.

As I said, I may well be wrong.

@OP: As long as your library is properly tagged foobar2000 automates applying Replay Gain - it's not a big deal at all. "Scan selection as Album by Tags" (or Folders).

C.

EDIT -- in italics.

This post has been edited by carpman: Oct 3 2014, 12:04

--------------------
TAK -p4m :: LossyWAV -q 6 | TAK :: Lame 3.98 -V 2
+Quote Post
mire777
post Oct 3 2014, 17:46
Post #5

QUOTE (carpman @ Oct 3 2014, 12:59) *
@mire777
I might be wrong (and will happily be corrected), but my understanding is that this component is not the same as Replay Gain in that it makes adjustments on the fly as a compressor to adjust the loudness of the audio.

It's currently hard coded to maintain a preview latency of 500ms, and uses the short-term loudness level measured from a three second window as the gain correction reference, which it updates every 100ms. I may make this configurable in the future.

So it looks 3 seconds ahead (and computes the required gain adjustment every 1/10th of a second), so if the audio is loud it will lower the volume in accordance with the EBU128 spec. So it works like the DR compressors of a radio station, which is good when listening to speech or streaming audio from YouTube etc ... but I don't think this is a replacement for Replay Gain since unlike RG it will adjust the loudness mid track, reducing and boosting as it goes; this may not be very noticeable on modern pre-squashed music, but for very dynamic music (symphonies etc..) this will alter the audio significantly.

As I said, I may well be wrong.

@OP: As long as your library is properly tagged foobar2000 automates applying Replay Gain - it's not a big deal at all. "Scan selection as Album by Tags" (or Folders).

C.

EDIT -- in italics.

Yes you are right, with RG you can reduce or boost sound, you can set this in preferences(by album,track,preamp..), but EBU128 does not have this settings(i think that this will be added later), it only lower the volume if the audio is loud.
So you are right.. But for me this is good alternative because, i dont want to tag files with Replay Gain or waste my time, plus i can now listen youtube or radio streams on the same level which is not possible with replay gain at all..
Also i can boost sound, if i want more bass with other DSP, so i have same experience when listen music with this plugin as i have without, but now is better because all sound was on the same level..
So i will suggest this component EBU128 + DSP to boost sound -BootEQMkII VST plugin...

*About quality after this EBU128 or RG i can't talk because i don't know, and this would be my subjective impression..

This post has been edited by mire777: Oct 3 2014, 17:54
+Quote Post
Smashbro29
post Oct 19 2014, 07:45
Post #6

QUOTE (mire777 @ Oct 3 2014, 04:37) *
This plugin EBU R128 Compressor work in the same way as replay gain scan, but it work on the fly, so no need to write anything in tags or analize, just play the song, all will be on the same level..

Nevermind, I'm totally messing up how to enable this thing.

Does it work in tandem with the equalizer?

This post has been edited by Smashbro29: Oct 19 2014, 07:49
+Quote Post
mire777
post Oct 19 2014, 09:21
Post #7

QUOTE (Smashbro29 @ Oct 19 2014, 08:45) *

Yes work with Eq ,but ''EBU R 128 Compressor'' must be first in DSP list, second should be equalizer.

How to enable?
It's easy. Just install component,
Go to ''file>preferences>playback>DSP Manager'', and put ''EBU R 128 Compressor'' to be first in the list.

This post has been edited by mire777: Oct 19 2014, 09:23
+Quote Post
Smashbro29
post Oct 20 2014, 22:35
Post #8

QUOTE (mire777 @ Oct 19 2014, 04:21) *
QUOTE (Smashbro29 @ Oct 19 2014, 08:45) *

Yes work with Eq ,but ''EBU R 128 Compressor'' must be first in DSP list, second should be equalizer.

How to enable?
It's easy. Just install component,
Go to ''file>preferences>playback>DSP Manager'', and put ''EBU R 128 Compressor'' to be first in the list.

Thanks. Works pretty nicely.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th December 2014 - 13:05