Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Which Windows-based audio player do you use most?

foobar2000
[ 199 ] (74.8%)
iTunes
[ 9 ] (3.4%)
Winamp (and compatibles, ie. MediaMonkey, etc.)
[ 25 ] (9.4%)
XMPlay (and BASS derivatives, ie. 1by1, AIMP, Potplayer, etc.)
[ 5 ] (1.9%)
dBpoweramp
[ 0 ] (0%)
J River Media Centre
[ 7 ] (2.6%)
Windows Media Player
[ 1 ] (0.4%)
VLC
[ 5 ] (1.9%)
Spotify
[ 3 ] (1.1%)
Other (Please mention which in a comment)
[ 12 ] (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 297

Topic: 2012 Windows Audio Player Usage Poll (Read 34182 times) previous topic - next topic

2012 Windows Audio Player Usage Poll

As discussed in that other thread, here is a new poll. The Unix variant will be out soon.

If you don't use a Windows-based audio player ever, submit a null vote.

Reply #1
I voted null, as when I am in home, I use google music and when outside, my gnex with poweramp.

Reply #2
foobar2000, and then Spotify.

Didn't include VLC as I do not use it to listen to audio-only. (I sometimes open audio files in it for checking a property or two, and ... well, listening so much that I can verify that «this is the right file», that isn't to me listening for the sake of listening.)

Reply #3
Seems strange that Mediamonkey and Winamp are the same selection. Apart from being able to share some plugins, they seem quite different to me.

Reply #4
The other I listed in answer to second question is SqueezePlay.

Reply #5
I now use Traktor quite a lot as a media player. It only costs E70 now.

It's particularly good with house and electronic music. In these genres individual tracks have been designed to be mixed and are too long to play end on end.

You can set Traktor up in auto mode. It works exactly like any other media player (I know Foobar, VLC  & Spotify) with the added bonus it can beatmatch and set cue/exit points on individual tracks for you if you do a little preliminary set up work. 

Ableton Live is similar. You can download free trial versions. Both are renowned for their user-friendlyness but Traktor is easiest to start with.

Reply #6
foobar2000 first and foremost,  XMPlay or Potplayer secondly, for fun.
foobar2000, FLAC, and qAAC -V90
It just works people!

Reply #7
#1 Winamp.  I've tried to leave it so many times, but keep coming back.

#2 Foobar.  It's set to default for all audio.  It's quick to open just to hear one track on the spot.  I used to do the same with WMP6.4 back when.

And I think it's strange that Winamp and MediaMonkey are in same category too.  I've always been a Winamp fan, never cared for MediaMonkey, and I think MediaMonkey fans feel the same.

Reply #8
I use foobar2000 to check stuff/replaygain etc but I don't listen to music on my PC, I use my Squeezebox.

Reply #9
I use fb2k to see how it "does" or "handles" stuff. I use deadbeef for playback.

Reply #10
The other one is MusiCHI, very nice for tagging classical
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #11
As discussed in that other thread, here is a new poll. The Unix variant will be out soon.

If you don't use a Windows-based audio player ever, submit a null vote.

This forum must be the worst possible place to get a representative sample.

Reply #12
This forum must be the worst possible place to get a representative sample.
...unless my intent is to simply get a sample that is representative of this forum.

Reply #13
I really don't understand why you didn't include the 2 mostly used DirectShow media players: Media Player Classic - Home Cinema and Zoom Player. You should've grouped them together with Windows Media Player as being DirectShow media players imho!

Reply #14
This is the first year I've run this sort of survey. Given the apparent popularity of dBpoweramp and J River, I'll probably remove one of them and replace it with something else next year. I was trying to hit as many bases as possible with this survey, but I'm not perfect.

Reply #15
I really don't understand why you didn't include the 2 mostly used DirectShow media players: Media Player Classic - Home Cinema and Zoom Player. You should've grouped them together with Windows Media Player as being DirectShow media players imho!

But do people use these to listen to their music?

Reply #16
This is the first year I've run this sort of survey. Given the apparent popularity of dBpoweramp and J River, I'll probably remove one of them and replace it with something else next year. I was trying to hit as many bases as possible with this survey, but I'm not perfect.

http://alternativeto.net/software/foobar2000/ will give you a good idea of what is popular for windows and linux

Reply #18
I was thinking along the same lines as Garf.  But annual codec poll is no different.

Reply #19
Have used MediaMonkey (for its library capabilities), f2000 (for its customizability), and XMPlay (for its size & portability) extensively.  But my current choice is MusicBee, which combines my personal favorite aspects of ALL of the above.  For someone who doesn't have time or capability to write lots of custom scripts but still wants great music managment plus decent control over the player, MB is worth a look.

Reply #20
XMPlay, AIMP and Winamp.

Reply #21
Foobar only! Is the best INMO.
Listening to music is the best pastime.

Reply #22
Foobar.  Occasionally dbpoweramp.

WHatever happened to mozilla songbird?  It was too much of a memory hog to use regularly on my (at the time) 512 MB machine, but might be ok now.

Reply #23
A combinaison of Mediamonkey for taging and classification, and MusicBee for playback.

Reply #24
MusicBee