Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Q/req—Wavpack hybrid mode: way to indicate if correction file is used? (Read 4035 times) previous topic - next topic

Q/req—Wavpack hybrid mode: way to indicate if correction file is used?

Is there any? I'm trying to get rid of my humongous DVD-A backups, and convert them to wavpack hybrid with correction file, but there's no indication if this correction file is being taken into account during playback whatsoever, with or without .wvc file present there's no change to file information displayed by foobar (it's always just hybrid with same bitrate).
For example conversion of losless MLP to losless wavpack results in file with bitrate between 6-7 k, in hybrid it's 1.3 k with or without wvc present.
Could someone clear this up for me please?
I'm using WavPack 4.60.1  and Foobar2000 1.1.10

I've posted it in wrong sub-forum probably, didn't I?

Reply #1
You're right, there does not seem to be any indication as to whether the correction files are being used (I just downloaded the latest version and looked for it).

However, I verified that they are being used by converting a hybrid track to WAV, then renaming the correction file to Track01.wvc.dontuse to make sure it's ignored and converting the track again and then comparing them with the Binary Comparator component (they were different).

I guess you can safely assume that if the correction file is there, then it will be used properly. It would be cool if the VBR bitrate indicator was available with WavPack files because there's an API for it (and it can take the correction file into account), but I'm sure there's a good reason it isn't being used.

Reply #2
It is also possible to use File Verifier component to check MD5 sum.

Reply #3
Is it still impossible to make this visible? I've finally converted my whole lossless collection into 4bit/s hybrid + correction and it's annoying that Foobar doesn't show the usage of correction file.

The same is not an issue for the Winamp plugin, if the correction file usage is enabled the sum bitrate is shown instead of the lossy bitrate which makes it obvious. Why is not working similarly in Foobar?

Re: Q/req—Wavpack hybrid mode: way to indicate if correction file is used?

Reply #4
Peter, is there any chance of improving the situation here?  ;)

Also I read in another thread, that foobar should be able to use correction files located in a different folder. Is that actually true? I tried moving them to a sub directory and I don't see foobar opening a file handle to the *.wvc files.

Thanks.