Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mp3tag v2.36 released (Read 57387 times) previous topic - next topic

Mp3tag v2.36 released

I've just released Mp3tag v2.36!

The most significant change is full support for ID3v2.4 tags - along with many bugfixes and minor changes.

You can download it from
http://mp3tag.de/en/download.html

The huge changelog is here
http://www.mp3tag.de/download/mp3tagversion.en.html

Hope you'll like it

Best regards,
Florian

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #1
cheers Florian. 
Mp3tag is great.  I (and I'm sure many others) appreciate the continuing dev work and support

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #2
Excellent, ID3v2.4 in UTF-8. Thankyou. 

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #3
Great job, thank you.

RE: NEW: completely rewritten APEv2 tagging module./NEW: binary APEv2 are now preserved on tag updates.
Doest that mean ablum art too?
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #4
RE: NEW: completely rewritten APEv2 tagging module./NEW: binary APEv2 are now preserved on tag updates.

Yes, cover art is preserved now, if you've used another app to add it to you APEv2 tags.

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #5

Yes, cover art is preserved now, if you've used another app to add it to you APEv2 tags.

so if I have mp3Tag to save tags in Id3v2 and APEv2 tags and have it include a cover file will it now be stored twice (in ID3v2 AND APEv2)?

thanks
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #6
Maybe this is a dumb question, but does MP3Tag support command line based inline tagging?  I'd like something I could use with MAREO to tag special genres and custom fields.  (LAME doesn't allow for custom genre names, only the ones in its list), and I also want to be able to tag BPM from foobar when using MAREO to encode, but I'm having trouble making that go.

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #7
Thanks Florian, Mp3tag is a great tool
we was young an' full of beans

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #8
so if I have mp3Tag to save tags in Id3v2 and APEv2 tags and have it include a cover file will it now be stored twice (in ID3v2 AND APEv2)?

Only if the cover was added to the APEv2 tag previously by another application. Mp3tag itself doesn't write new cover art to APEv2 tags - it only preserves existing cover art. I'd also suggest to use only one extended tag format: ID3v2 or APEv2.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but does MP3Tag support command line based inline tagging?  I'd like something I could use with MAREO to tag special genres and custom fields.  (LAME doesn't allow for custom genre names, only the ones in its list), and I also want to be able to tag BPM from foobar when using MAREO to encode, but I'm having trouble making that go.

No, command line tagging is not supported by Mp3tag (and not planned at the moment).

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #9
Thanks, Florian.

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #10
Hi,

Florian, is it possible to check which encoding has an id3v2 tag? (UTF-8, UTF-16 or ISO-8859-1)

I have been using your program a lot but I don't remember which encoding I was using with older versions. How can I check this?

Also, why do you recommend against using two extended tag formats?

Right now I'm using both id3v2.3 and APEv2 in my mp3 files because I need the tag functionality of MP3Gain.

Unless MP3Gain supports id3v2 tags, there's no other way. You have to use both APEv2 and ID3v2. (Because my portable mp3 player doesn't read APEv2 tags).

Kind regards.

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #11
For some reason I can't download it. I just keep getting the html thing, not the executable. Hep!

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #12
Florian, is it possible to check which encoding has an id3v2 tag? (UTF-8, UTF-16 or ISO-8859-1)

Not within Mp3tag itself but by using a hex editor. The encoding used is flagged by the byte before the actual text data where 0 is ISO-8859-1, 1 is UTF-16, 2 is UTF-16BE and 3 is UTF-8. Please contact me via PM if you need additional support.

Also, why do you recommend against using two extended tag formats?

Right now I'm using both id3v2.3 and APEv2 in my mp3 files because I need the tag functionality of MP3Gain.

foobar2000 stores ReplayGain values in the ID3v2 tag for example.

For some reason I can't download it. I just keep getting the html thing, not the executable. Hep!

Maybe hotlinking prevention triggers, because you're using a fixed value for the HTTP referer.

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #13
I'd also suggest to use only one extended tag format: ID3v2 or APEv2.

may I ask why? I'm using mp3Gain and it stores the undo information as APEv2. I need ID3v2 since iTunes etc. doesn't support APEv2. To make sure that programs that do support APEv2 read the song title and not just the mp3Gain undo data, I have mp3Tag store the data in both tag formats.

Not within Mp3tag itself but by using a hex editor. The encoding used is flagged by the byte before the actual text data where 0 is ISO-8859-1, 1 is UTF-16, 2 is UTF-16BE and 3 is UTF-8. Please contact me via PM if you need additional support.

what is the advantage of those different versions? It doesn't tell anything about it in the help file. iTunes shows some weird character at the end of each seperate tag when using ID3v2.4, so I'm stuck with ID3v2.3...but what's the advantage of all those different methods (UTF-8, UTF-16 or ISO-8859-1)?

thanks
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #14
what is the advantage of those different versions? It doesn't tell anything about it in the help file. iTunes shows some weird character at the end of each seperate tag when using ID3v2.4, so I'm stuck with ID3v2.3...but what's the advantage of all those different methods (UTF-8, UTF-16 or ISO-8859-1)?
The difference is in the characters those methods can encode. ISO 8859-1 is sufficient for most Western languages, while the UTF-N modes are different but equivalent Unicode encodings. UTF-16 comes in different flavours using little-endian or big-endian representation which favour particular CPU platforms, while UTF-8 is an endian-neutral encoding that has some other subtle advantages. (For example, a tag writer does not need to pay special attention to desynchronization when writing text encoded in UTF-8.) Why the ID3v2 specification allows different Unicode encodings is a very good question. Given a correct implementation of the standard, the user should not need to care about this at all. In reality, various applications lack support of features required by the specification, which is in part due to the (unneeded) complexity of the specification with regard to text encodings.

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #15
Does this mean foobar2000 replaygain values will be preserved after I edit files with Mp3tag? I see that the RG values are lost when the files are modified with other Tag editors (eg. writing Volume information in iTunes, rating in J River etc)
Also, how do I know which version of id3 V2 is is used within a particular file?

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #16
Does this mean foobar2000 replaygain values will be preserved after I edit files with Mp3tag? I see that the RG values are lost when the files are modified with other Tag editors (eg. writing Volume information in iTunes, rating in J River etc)

Sure, ReplayGain values from foobar2000 are preserved.

Also, how do I know which version of id3 V2 is is used within a particular file?

You can create a new column 'Tag type' using 'View > Columns...' and use %_tag_read%[ (%_tag%)] as value. This will display the tag type of the displayed tag and all existing tag types in the file.

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #17
I've been using mp3tag for quite a while but you learn something new every day

What is the difference between %_tag_read%[%_tag%)]  and just plain %_tag%? They seem to output practically the same...
Also, is there a way to have a file's cover art show up in the tag panel without having to select the extended tag window?
On the subject of cover art, can you import just the cover art from amazon? I always thought it would also overwrite all other tags.

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #18
Sure, ReplayGain values from foobar2000 are preserved.
You can create a new column 'Tag type' using 'View > Columns...' and use %_tag_read%[ (%_tag%)] as value. This will display the tag type of the displayed tag and all existing tag types in the file.

Thanks Florian. From a longtime fan of your work. 

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #19
What is the difference between %_tag_read%[%_tag%)]  and just plain %_tag%? They seem to output practically the same...

From the help file:
%_tag% Available tag types in file
%_tag_read% Displayed tag type

Also, is there a way to have a file's cover art show up in the tag panel without having to select the extended tag window?

No, but it's on my wishlist.

On the subject of cover art, can you import just the cover art from amazon? I always thought it would also overwrite all other tags.

There is a web source in the Web Sources Archive which does exactly what you want.

Thanks Florian. From a longtime fan of your work. 

Thanks! Glad that you like it

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #20

Thanks a lot for the info! I didn't know how to tell them apart. However, I'm finding that it's a bit cumbersome to open each file with XVI32 and visually look for that flag.

I'd like to request a feature for future versions of Mp3tag: Could you please add a placeholder to the "Export configuration" to show the character encoding of the id3v2 tag? It could be added to the Technical Info section. Perhaps something like %_tag_character_encoding% or similar?

Maybe it doesn't sound like something terribly useful, but I think it can be handy for people like me, who have portable mp3 players that don't understand unicode id3v2 tags

foobar2000 stores ReplayGain values in the ID3v2 tag for example.

That's very nice. But I'm still stuck with two extended tags because my portable mp3 player doesn't understand APE tags.

The problem would be solved if MP3Gain offered an option to write its undo and replaygain information in ID3v2 tags. But currently that's not possible.

Oh, and by the way, thanks a million for Mp3tag! It's really useful.

Regards.

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #21
... iTunes shows some weird character at the end of each seperate tag when using ID3v2.4, so I'm stuck with ID3v2.3...

So in version 2.36 can we select ID3v2.3 to use with iTunes? I haven't noticed a place in the older versions to do this, other than checking v1 and/or v2. Or will iTunes be fine with v2.4 if I use all US English characters?

Love the app!

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #22
So in version 2.36 can we select ID3v2.3 to use with iTunes? I haven't noticed a place in the older versions to do this, other than checking v1 and/or v2. Or will iTunes be fine with v2.4 if I use all US English characters?

You can enable writing of ID3v2.3 with UTF-16 at 'Options > Tags > Mpeg' (iTunes still has a broken ID3v2.4 implemention).

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #23
You can enable writing of ID3v2.3 with UTF-16 at 'Options > Tags > Mpeg' (iTunes still has a broken ID3v2.4 implemention).

Thanks for the info and keeping Mp3Tag able to work with iTunes.

Mp3tag v2.36 released

Reply #24
I see the default is now ID3v2.4 -- I'm all for support of additional pseudo-standards, but I do think ID3v2.3 should still be the default since ID3v2.4 is far from being the "de facto standard" tag standard.  Of course, my opinion...