Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar on Wine 1.4 not using Wavpack correction files. (Read 1147 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar on Wine 1.4 not using Wavpack correction files.

As the title says, my experience of running foobar under Wine 1.4 on Lubuntu, has been that it doesn't acknowledge Wavpack correction files whenever playing them back or converting the whole hybrid solution to any other format (I've tried WAV and MP3).

I was at first suspicious of something afoul was at play, as FB on Windows does show higher bitrates whenever using the .wvc files and lower ones when playing back the lossy part (.wv) of said hybrid files - but that hasn't been the case when it's running under Wine.

After converting some songs via both wvunpack.exe and Deadbeef , first with the .wvc present and then with it moved elsewhere or renamed, and seeing the resulting .WAV files were indeed different; I realised the same tests with FB under Wine gave identical .WAV files; that is, FB did not use the correction files at all!

As I'm using a specific Lubuntu flavour (LXLE), I wonder if anyone else has succeeded with other Linux flavors or Wine versions on having foobar to behave otherwise with Wavpack's correction files.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #1
I'm using arch linux (speedier bugfixes, no bloat, but have to get your hands dirty configuring it), and there everything works. Currently on wine 1.7.42.
foobar2000 has NEVER shown any difference whether playing a .wv with or without .wvc, always listing it as "WavPack hybrid" for me.

Testing the file with foo_verifier does show a difference when the .wvc is not present:

test.wv is a copy of test.wv, but without making a corresponding copy of .wvc. Note how the bitrate is the same, even though the .wvc is present for test.wv

Reply #2
Dunno, it sounds like the Wine version I'm using is the one to blame.

Another 'weakness' I've detected: DeadBeef even encodes files on-the-fly, while they're being played back - which is not the case with FB2K.

PS: that's quite a useful plug-in.
União e reconstrução

Reply #3
I never had problems with transcoding a file while playing it in foobar, neither on windows nor on linux. I can even rename files in foobar2000 via file operations while it's playing the song and it would make a fuss about it.
Sounds like your installation is somehow broken...

I'm using deadbeef myself mostly, but it still lacks stuff like .tak tagging (reading works, writing does not), file operations, integrity verifying and replaygain scanning, so that's what I'm using foobar2000 over wine for.

Reply #4
Sounds like your installation is somehow broken...

Go figure. Thanks for the great input anyway.

I'm buying a new PC soon, so I hope I get things right with the new system(s) - which will very much probably be Windows-based, thanks to the annoying lack of certain specialized software within the Linux realm when it comes to specific specialized hobbies (photography, astrophotography, macrophotography, etc.) where Wine workarounds won't just cut it.

So I guess I haven't much of a choice than being back to communing with the devil (AKA Windows).
União e reconstrução