Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 90 Minute Recording - Audio CD's (Read 9493 times) previous topic - next topic

90 Minute Recording - Audio CD's

I read somehwere I need a compatible R/W Drive that can accomodate 90 minutes of recording space.

Is this true - I just can't buy a 90 minute blank R/W CD?

Thanks
Lou

Reply #1
Is this true - I just can't buy a 90 minute blank R/W CD?

you can buy it, but yor recorder must support them.

Reply #2
Thanks - any recommendations on how I would know this.  It is the standard drive that came with a relatively new Dell PC - HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B

Reply #3
AFAIK the largest capacity CD-Rs and CD-RWs can store a maximum of 80 minutes of uncompressed redbook audio (44.1 kHz, 16 bits/sample).

If you want to store more recorded audio on a disc, you may want to try encoding it with a lossless codec (flac, wavpack, etc.).

Reply #4
He's referring to overburning. 

Feurio Questions & Answers - Explanation of Terminology: Overburning

DISC SIZE AND CAPACITY
What is overburning?
Overburning (sometimes called oversizing) is the ability to write beyond the manufacturer’s declared capacity on a CD-R or CD-RW disc. This is accomplished by using the disc’s Lead-Out Area (reserved to indicate to a reading device that the end of the data has been reached) to store the additional user information. Although some recorders and premastering software packages have the ability to overburn a disc the practice is not permitted by Orange Book standards. Overburning might affect product warranties and result in lost data so it is not recommended.

None of my burners have ever supported it so I have no personal experience.  I think it might have been Feurio that has a test for your burner's capabilities...but I'm not sure because it was a couple years back.
"Have you ever been with a woman? It's like death. You moan, you scream and then you start to beg for mercy, for salvation"

Reply #5
There are supposed to be 90 minute CD-R blanks on the market. I've never run across any but then I've never been interested in looking for them. There are some considerations if you want to use them.
* Not all CD players will be able to read them. This may mean most CD players will be unable to read them but I don't really know about that. Some older CD players can't handle 80 minute CD-Rs.
* Writing all the way to the outer edge on the majority of CD-Rs increases the error rate. The outer edge just doesn't tend to work as well with great consistency. Therefore, these extended range CD-Rs may have the tendency to often play poorly towards the end.

Reply #6
I think there's also 99minute CDs...

Reply #9
He's referring to overburning.

The capacity of a standard CD-R is just below 80 minutes. Forgot exactly how much, something over 79 minutes and 40 seconds. Overburning gives you a couple of minutes more, so you get something like 82 minutes, still on a standard CD-R. Practically every CD player supports the playback of overburned CDs. As to recorder, yes - it depends on particular recorder. I guess the real usage for overburning is when you want to back up a CD which was created with overburning. I had a few of those, just below 81 minutes. I never cared of 'ultra-high capacity CD-Rs' (90+ minutes) since your CD player may not play them at all.

Reply #10
Writing all the way to the outer edge on the majority of CD-Rs increases the error rate. The outer edge just doesn't tend to work as well with great consistency. Therefore, these extended range CD-Rs may have the tendency to often play poorly towards the end.

Overburning is not achieved by writining "all the way to the outer edge", but by reducing the track width, tightening the data spiral, so to speak. Because of that, a CD player or a drive may have trouble reading any part of the disc, not just the part closer to the outer edge. Of course, as the outer edge spins at a faster angular velocity than the inner side, it will be harder to read still.

I would recommend steering clear of 90/99min CD-Rs. Typically they are low-grade media to begin with. I have yet to see one by a reputable manufacturer.

Reply #11
Overburning is not achieved by writining "all the way to the outer edge", but by reducing the track width, tightening the data spiral, so to speak. Because of that, a CD player or a drive may have trouble reading any part of the disc, not just the part closer to the outer edge. Of course, as the outer edge spins at a faster angular velocity than the inner side, it will be harder to read still.

I would recommend steering clear of 90/99min CD-Rs. Typically they are low-grade media to begin with. I have yet to see one by a reputable manufacturer.
[/quote]

Overburning is NOT what you describe, you are talking about a disc that is physically different and pushes the limits of the specification by tightening the track pitch (not width). Overburning uses areas of a STANDARD disk reserved for other purposes as previously stated.

Incidentally, I think that with an audio CD the angular velocity of the disk is actually LESS when reading the outer edge than the centre in order to maintain a constant linear scanning velocity, so that is not a factor in less reliable reading

Reply #12
Overburning is NOT what you describe, you are talking about a disc that is physically different and pushes the limits of the specification by tightening the track pitch (not width). Overburning uses areas of a STANDARD disk reserved for other purposes as previously stated.
I stand corrected, I must have been thinking Plextor's GigaRec.

Incidentally, I think that with an audio CD the angular velocity of the disk is actually LESS when reading the outer edge than the centre in order to maintain a constant linear scanning velocity, so that is not a factor in less reliable reading
When playing in a CD player, yes. When ripped with a CD drive, my statement stands.
<edit: quote>

Reply #13
Well, I've used on few occasions 90 minute CDRs from Infinity (as they were the only ones available at a time), and my CDR then (TEAC 512EB) supported writing up to 89:59 minutes. Used it for making VA mixed CDs for listening, and to test my equipment.
Well, first of all, I had no problems with that media, at least in short term. I have old CD player, Sony CDP-XE800, bought in mid-90's, and it played this disk without any problems or skipping.
So, it could be good choice, but for short-term usage, from my experience.

Ivan.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #14
AFAIK the largest capacity CD-Rs and CD-RWs can store a maximum of 80 minutes of uncompressed redbook audio (44.1 kHz, 16 bits/sample).

If you want to store more recorded audio on a disc, you may want to try encoding it with a lossless codec (flac, wavpack, etc.).

I'm wondering how encoding it with a lossless codec flac, wavpack, etc can help here?
I don't understand that - can it really make the difference?

This thread has caught my interest because what I'd like to know how I can fit 84 min of 'cda' audio onto an 80 min cd.  (..and the final format needs to be cda so that it plays in my older car cd player, but it's source is mp3 which gets converted to cda on the fly while burning)
It's one long voice speaking lecture that's 84 minutes long, which I see I can use GoldWave and set it to adjust the speed to make 84 min now equal 80, but the voice is a little to fast doing it that way.  I've heard there are certain burners that you can force outside the 80 min boundary but I don't think my Optorite model 5205 burner will do that but don't think I have the software to do it anyway since I only have Winamp and/or EasyCDCreator to use for my burning software  .. ..So here I am asking if anyone here knows of an easy way for me to do it please besides having to edit out 4 minutes of audio which I don't want to do, or GoldWave speed up the voice. 

All I need to do is fit 84 min of cda audio onto an 80 min cd with what I have..

thanks

Reply #15
99 minute CD's really do work, I've used my Lite-On LTR-32123 drive to burn CDs for over 99mins.
I have some for sale actually, just go to ebay and search for "10 pack 99min cdr", paper sleeves are included for easy storage.

and endeavorz, it's possible to overburn an 80min CD to 84min, you just have to have the right CD drive.  My guess is that the drives that overburn 90min CDs to 99min will support overburning 80min CDs.  I've made a master list from a combination of 3 or 4 I've found on the web on my website: http://gregsmusic.homestead.com/index.html