Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Remastered albums tagging
SonicBooom!
post Apr 13 2013, 15:10
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 88210

I just want to know other people's perspective. If you are ripping a remastered CD (eg. Dead Can Dance' Within the Realm of a Dying Sun, originally released 1987, re-released and remastered 2008), what do you indicate on the YEAR field? Is it the year of the original release or the release date of your remastered CD? And is there any "manual of style" for it? (I use manuals of style for proper tagging)

--------------------
sin(α) = v sound/v object = Mach No.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bernhold
post Apr 14 2013, 18:55
Post #2

Member No.: 107330

Definitely the year in which the remastered version was released. Like a remix, I consider it to be a new artwork, the remastered songs are not the same as the old songs.

It's sometimes even necessary to be able to distinguish an old and a remastered album. If it's the same artist and the same album title in your playlist, you need a way to keep them apart.

The YEAR field should always indicate the year a production was released, not the year it was composed in my opinion.

This post has been edited by bernhold: Apr 14 2013, 18:58
+Quote Post
markanini
post Apr 14 2013, 19:21
Post #3

Member No.: 10615

Personally, I think it deserves it's own tag field, containg the year. label, and catalogue number. And a another field for the mastering engineer.
+Quote Post
Porcus
post Apr 15 2013, 12:12
Post #4

Member No.: 38207

I use the original release year, otherwise I would not have had any music from before the CD age on hard drive ... the Black Sabbath s/t is Friday 13th of February, 1970, period.
Then I augment e.g. [2005 reissue] or [2005 remaster] or [2005 remix] in the album name (interchange word and number if you want it sorted by the amount of processing!).

I should likely have used another field. Will maybe happen some time in the future ...

--------------------
One day in the Year of the Fox came a time remembered well
+Quote Post
mjb2006
post Apr 15 2013, 13:00
Post #5

Member No.: 30694

I often want to sort by the year the recording dates to, never the year of a particular remastering, reissue, or compilation. And I'm not always using foobar2000 where I can customize columns and display custom fields. So, I'm essentially on the same page as Porcus, populating the standard year field with the original year. And I do that on a per-song basis. However, I don't like comments in the album name, so I just use the comment field for the clarification note about the year of remaster/re-release/whatever.

The ID3v2 spec differentiates between TYER (year) and TORY (original release year), but, unsurprisingly, is clear as mud, talking about "cover versions", implying TORY is really the year of original composition, not recording.

This post has been edited by mjb2006: Apr 15 2013, 13:01
+Quote Post
slks
post Apr 26 2013, 01:32
Post #6

Member No.: 29046

In most cases I leave notes like remaster, remix, re-release, etc. in the comment tag. For most albums I only have one version, so it works. If I have multiple versions in my collection, I might append it to the album tag as well.

For example:
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn [Mono]
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn [Stereo]

or

The Soft Bulletin [5.1 Remix]
The Soft Bulletin [Original]

Even though they may come out in different years I usually don't find that important enough to include anywhere but the comments. It's really about just deciding where to draw the line between a re-mix and a re-master. I consider the first to be a new work artistically altered, the second just a re-transcribing with maybe some EQ.

--------------------
http://www.last.fm/user/sls/
+Quote Post
Boiled Beans
post Jan 20 2014, 13:44
Post #7

Member No.: 51870

I always use the original date of release of the album in the year field.

If it's only one or two albums where I have both the original and remastered, then I add "Remaster" to the end of the album title, e.g. "Rocket to Russia (2001 Remaster)".

If I have the entire series of original and remastered albums, then I add it to the artist name instead, "The Beatles (2009 Stereo Remaster)" so they show up as separate artists in foobar.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realise this thread was almost a year old as it was still on page 1 of the "General Music Discussion" forum!

This post has been edited by Boiled Beans: Jan 20 2014, 13:53
+Quote Post
johnlgalt
post Jan 20 2014, 21:08
Post #8

Member No.: 113919

Being new to the whole lossless ripping setup, I can say that in the past I have always used the remastered year as the year tag as well. Sometimes a remaster is truly just a digital remastering but oftentimes, with the music I have, it includes new / unreleased / bonus tracks.

Plus, most places I have looked online for missing tag info usually do the same thing - year of remaster instead of original year of issue.
+Quote Post
Porcus
post Jan 21 2014, 01:02
Post #9

QUOTE (Boiled Beans @ Jan 20 2014, 13:44) *
I always use the original date of release of the album in the year field.

If it's only one or two albums where I have both the original and remastered, then I add "Remaster" to the end of the album title, e.g. "Rocket to Russia (2001 Remaster)".

I do precisely the same thing, except I use [brackets] as those rarely occur in album titles themselves. The issue is of course when you get a CD which in the reissue had a different CD as bonus ...

(I would have wanted fb2k to ignore space-bracket-*-bracket under quicksearch for same album.)

QUOTE (Boiled Beans @ Jan 20 2014, 13:44) *
EDIT: Sorry, didn't realise this thread was almost a year old as it was still on page 1 of the "General Music Discussion" forum!

Worse than that happens when a spammer manages to bump up an old thread.

--------------------
+Quote Post
2Bdecided
post Jan 21 2014, 10:38
Post #10

ReplayGain developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 409

It depends what you want to use the year/date field for.

If you're going to use it to find music from a specific era, then the remaster has to have the same date at the original.

If you're going to use it to sort an artists discography into physical release order, then the remaster has to have the "new" release date.

If you're not going to use it, then it doesn't matter. If you haven't decided, then pick something consistent now and store the "other" option in another tag. You can use mp3tag to change all your tags en masse if you ever change your mind.

Cheers,
David.
+Quote Post
Porcus
post Jan 21 2014, 11:47
Post #11

I would say one should be concerned about what date external metadata providers would offer in what tag.

E.g. ID3 has TIME for recording time (clock! HHminmin), TDAT for recording date (DDMM); TYER for the year of the recording (YYYY) and TORY for year of the original release (YYYY) - according to spec, the first release year of the work, so if an album contains one old cover song it should have a different TORY than TYER.
But no date for "this mastered version" nor "this release", right? So any attempt at putting that into the "dating" ID3 tags is nonstandard?

--------------------
+Quote Post
2Bdecided
post Jan 21 2014, 12:44
Post #12

ReplayGain developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 409

I can't let the badly conceived ID3v2 standard limit what I put into my FLAC tags. It sometimes means I put more info in there, to give a sensible thing to automatically cram into the ID3v2 when I transcode. YMMV, especially if you only rip to mp3.
+Quote Post
Porcus
post Jan 21 2014, 13:22
Post #13

I did not refer to ID3 to solicit it, rather I intended to that the ID3 specifications may have caused all these inconsistencies. OTOH, maybe a more sensible standard would just as well have been equally ignored by the software anarchy out there.

I only rip to FLAC myself, and Vorbis comments are luckily flexible, so I can have ORIGINAL_RELEASE_DATE and RELEASE_DATE as I please, and using uncommon field names protects me against external metadata overwriting with a year I do not know whether was intended to reflect original release or this release. So far so good, but it means I must do the extra work of populating/updating from other fields, and get these to work as I want to wrt display and sort and other uses.

--------------------
+Quote Post
lock67ca
post Mar 14 2014, 01:17
Post #14

Member No.: 22928

My personal preference is to always use the original year of release in the Year tag, and indicate the remaster (in brackets) in the Album tag.

Queen - The Game (2011 Remaster)
Pink Floyd - Wish You were Here (2011 Remaster)
+Quote Post
AliceWonder
post Mar 23 2014, 01:18
Post #15

Member No.: 101393

I use the original year.

It makes it easier for me to say to my jukebox "Play me Rock from 1971 to 1976 randomly" and get the results I want.

When a CD was remastered, I make a REMASTER tag for it with that date. I know that's not a tag used by any software but I don't need it to be.
+Quote Post
SigHunter
post Mar 24 2014, 10:17
Post #16

Member No.: 58544

I use the year the remastered version was released and i have a custom tag field REISSUE where i put "Remastered" or "Reissue" (if its rereleased, with bonus, different tracks or whatever but not remastered) or catalog number, if availlable (since i have no CATALOG tag or whatever).

i then automove the files to %ALBUM% $if(%REISSUE%). so that tag is mainly to seperate them somehow
+Quote Post
Porcus
post Mar 24 2014, 11:04
Post #17

QUOTE (SigHunter @ Mar 24 2014, 10:17) *
REISSUE where i put "Remastered" or "Reissue" (if its rereleased, with bonus, different tracks or whatever but not remastered)

... or you could even have "Rerecorded". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diary_of_a_Ma...sue_controversy

--------------------
+Quote Post
KozmoNaut
post Mar 24 2014, 11:45
Post #18

Member No.: 39990

I put in original release year only, no indication of remix or remaster on the album name, that info goes on the individual tracks, but only if they are actual remixes. Like for instance the 25th Anniversary Edition of Machine Head, where each track has both a remastered and a remixed version, I indicate the remixed versions in the track titles. But the album is still just "Machine Head by Deep Purple, released 1972" in my collection.

I am not an archival geek, I don't collect multiple editions of the same albums, I only keep one copy, the rip I've made from CD myself or sometimes an alternate version if I like that one better.

So yeah, I've let go of the obsessive collector mentality. I stopped obsessing and decided to just enjoy the music rather than any specific recordings or editions :-)

This post has been edited by KozmoNaut: Mar 24 2014, 11:47
+Quote Post
SigHunter
post Mar 24 2014, 17:16
Post #19

Member No.: 58544

QUOTE (KozmoNaut @ Mar 24 2014, 11:45) *
So yeah, I've let go of the obsessive collector mentality. I stopped obsessing and decided to just enjoy the music rather than any specific recordings or editions :-)

i enjoy being obsessed with archiving :S
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd August 2014 - 00:53