Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: replaygain.. as "normalization".. (Read 3240 times) previous topic - next topic

replaygain.. as "normalization"..

yup...

kinda deep daft.. question...

is the replygain code.. possible to implement
in "on-the-fly" burning.?

let`s say.. with cdrtools/cdrdao..

ex: nero uses a "normalisation" method
when burning.. on-the-fly..

how exactly is that carried out....

Reply #1
yup...

since this tread have 24 view.. so the question is either realy daft..
or interesting..

anyhow.. i need replies.. i recond some on the forum have a
answer..

Reply #2
On the fly burning and replaygain-calculations won't work.
It's needed to scan the file in order to get the correct replaygain value(s). Of course, if a burning program would support prevously calculcated replaygain info from tags, then it could use it. Other possibility is that the burning program first scans the file (and calculates replaygain values), and then burns, but if you wanna use album/audiophile gain, then it'd need to scan the whole album first.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #3
Do all mp3 decoders take gain data into account when decoding?

BTW, could u recommend a decoder for mp3? There is a link in the FAQ section
which deals with decoders, but the decoders tested are kinda old, so I need
something more up-to-date.
Wanna buy a monkey?

Reply #4

If you are talking about "gain data" as applied by MP3Gain, then the answer is yes. foobar's implementation (storing the gain values in APE tags) is technically superior, but currently not used anywhere but in foobar itself.

BTW, could u recommend a decoder for mp3?

Use Winamp's decoder (FhG) or LAME - both are very accurate. AFAIK, Winamp's is slightly better, but I highly doubt the difference is audible.

MAD is also very good, but don't believe all the hype that it's supposed to make such a huge (audible) difference.

Reply #5

I used MP3Gain for the first time 2day, and I now realise this question is kinda stupid,
given that MP3Gain appllies the gain to the file itself and not as a tag...

Use Winamp's decoder (FhG) or LAME - both are very accurate. AFAIK, Winamp's is slightly better, but I highly doubt the difference is audible.

To decode files with LAME the switch should be --decode, or not?

How do I use Winamp's decoder?
Wanna buy a monkey?

Reply #6
To decode files with LAME the switch should be --decode, or not?

How do I use Winamp's decoder?

1. --decode
2. Nullsoft Disk Writer
If you use the Nullsoft Disk Writer you must disable it immediately after decoding files, since if you don't everything that plays in Winamp will be outputted to wav files.