Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMA Two Pass VBR? (Read 4828 times) previous topic - next topic

WMA Two Pass VBR?

I was looking at the WMA settings in DBPowerAmp today, and noticed there is a two-pass VBR setting for WMA. Unlike the single pass WMA VBR, for which there are quality settings such as 75, 90, 95, etc., the settings for two-pass VBR are bit rate numbers. I guess with two passes they can come closer to approximating a bit rate in VBR, so one specifies the bit rate (I assume an ABR) rather than a quality setting.

I don't know if there have been posts about it before on HA. If so, I missed them, sorry.

Has anyone here tried this two-pass VBR? If so, how good were the results, for the bit rate you used? Has it been used in any of the listening tests here? (If I recall correctly, which might not be the case, in the 128 kbps listening test WMA CBR was used, as with the single pass VBR using a quality setting, there was too much variance in the bit rate to find a setting that stayed close enough to 128kbps.) (Yet, doesn't seem completely fair to compare a CBR with a VBR. Perhaps this two-pass VBR, which specifies a bit rate, should have been used.)

Anyhow--any tests using WMA two-pass VBR, comparing it to other VBR encoders at a similar bit rate?

WMA Two Pass VBR?

Reply #1
Perhaps this two-pass VBR, which specifies a bit rate, should have been used.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=232051"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It has been used.

WMA Two Pass VBR?

Reply #2
Perhaps this two-pass VBR, which specifies a bit rate, should have been used.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=232051"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It has been used.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=232052"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Which test?

WMA Two Pass VBR?

Reply #3
Which test?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Both 128kbps multiformat tests.
[a href="http://www.rjamorim.com/test/]http://www.rjamorim.com/test/[/url]