Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: looking for a sound editor (Read 7087 times) previous topic - next topic

looking for a sound editor

Hi

i'm looking for a sound editor
when i run w98se , i was so happy to have cool edit

now i play with Audacity 2.0.2 but misses many features i like first real time effects , cool edit many years ago has them

what could i try and in case buy?

some years ago i remember steinberg wavlab was the best and soundforge was another big guy

to be honest i'm not updated about the best audio editor

might you give me some advises ?

what i don't want to install a trial that can mess up my windows 7

for example once i gave a try to dxo (program for photos) , it was featured by a hard copy protection , and when i uninstalled the trial , i had many problem with my operation system , like unknow hardware ,blue screen of death and so on

i can understand they want to protect their software ,it's right , but i would like to avoid to install trial version that can harm my operation system

thanks in advance!
and please sorry for my poor english
cheers

Reply #1
Hi

now i play with Audacity 2.0.2 but misses many features i like first real time effects , cool edit many years ago has them

Cool Edit was bought by Adobe, renamed to Audition, and given a revised user interface over the years since then.

Reply #2
Hi

Cool Edit was bought by Adobe, renamed to Audition, and given a revised user interface over the years since then.

thanks

is really a great like the old version ? or was only update in the  cosmetic  design ?
is good like wavelab or soundforge ? i mean the last version

thanks again!

Reply #3
Try Wavosaur, it's free. Also it's portable (everything contained in its folder) so it won't mess with your system.

Reply #4
Try Wavosaur, it's free. Also it's portable (everything contained in its folder) so it won't mess with your system.

wow
loooks amazing!!!
but has a batch processor?
with Audacity i was never able to process many files with sc4 effect , is not even in the chain list

thankssss

Reply #6
If you still have a legitimate version of Cool Edit, it runs well under Win7.  I'm using Cool Edit 2000 with 64 bit Win7. I doubt you can get any help from Adobe with any CE version. If you don't have all the pieces, you are out of luck.

Audition has evolved considerably, with a view to integrating with Adobe's video programs, from what I've read. I have Audition 3 (no longer available) but find the user interface not as useful as CE2K for what I do. I'm not up to date on later editions, it hasn't gone in a direction that interests me, but there appear to be many satisfied users.

Reply #7

Wow ,it run VST plugins!
i really like it

but is there a list of the best
free vst pluins for audio editors?

abd the best of pro vst plugins paid for audio editors?

cheers

If you still have a legitimate version of Cool Edit, it runs well under Win7.  I'm using Cool Edit 2000 with 64 bit Win7. I doubt you can get any help from Adobe with any CE version. If you don't have all the pieces, you are out of luck.

Audition has evolved considerably, with a view to integrating with Adobe's video programs, from what I've read. I have Audition 3 (no longer available) but find the user interface not as useful as CE2K for what I do. I'm not up to date on later editions, it hasn't gone in a direction that interests me, but there appear to be many satisfied users.

i have a legit copy for cool edit , i will try it , under w7 64 and 32bit (but in a windows forum they told me it works but could harm the os)
but does it work with the new vst plugins ?

thanks

Reply #8
I've seen no evidence of harm to anything. I can not say anything about VST plugins. CE2k does not run any such plugins. I don't know which version, if any, provided VST support. Audition 3 has it, but I don't know if it was new there or not.

It may be necessary to set some compatibility settings to get it to run properly. I had it installed and running without any, then had some kind of HD problem and had to re-install. Now it is running in XP compatibility mode. I've also had to set on some older audio programs to "run as an administrator".

Reply #9
I've tried most of them but I always go back to GOLDWAVE.

It's shareware but very reasonably priced. The developer is always happy to answer support questions.
It is a very well coded mature software and is fast and responsive and 'bloatware' is not a label you can put to this program.
If you play with it for a while you will discover the range of built-in functions is just about perfect.
You can see the developer has put a lot of thought into this program over many years.

Yep, to me, GOLDWAVE must be included in any list of all-time great Windows software (along with foobar2000).

Reply #10

It's shareware but very reasonably priced. The developer is always happy to answer support questions.
It is a very well coded mature software and is fast and responsive and 'bloatware' is not a label you can put to this program.
If you play with it for a while you will discover the range of built-in functions is just about perfect.
You can see the developer has put a lot of thought into this program over many years.

Yep, to me, GOLDWAVE must be included in any list of all-time great Windows software (along with foobar2000).

thanks
did you use wavelab and soundforge too ?

Reply #11
yes

Reply #12
I use Soundforge personally, works well for me. Still on the older Sonic Foundry 6.0d release but it does everything I need it to, and  spending the money for the upgrade to a newer Sony build is not much of a concern for me so far.
I do have Audacity on the laptop and use it at times but my desktop has the Hercules Game Theater XP card w/ the breakout box and is much better equipped for audio work.

Reply #13

you know i installed the trial version and i like it a lot
but lacks of some features
for example there is not deselect, select inverse
or for example for the denoiser , i can use in batch processing , because it can not save the noise footprint

I use Soundforge personally, works well for me. Still on the older Sonic Foundry 6.0d release but it does everything I need it to, and  spending the money for the upgrade to a newer Sony build is not much of a concern for me so far.
I do have Audacity on the laptop and use it at times but my desktop has the Hercules Game Theater XP card w/ the breakout box and is much better equipped for audio work.

i like soundforge too , but the previous and i think i can't find them
thanks

Reply #14
Ocenaudio

Reply #15
Do all/any these editors reconstruct waveforms correctly?  Especially if they are free!

If you were to look at the waveform in an editor that actually assumes proper reconstruction you will in fact see a proper sine wave regardless of the frequency.  This is all about the specific application you used to display the waveform.

Your application is displaying it incorrectly!

Reply #16
Top Tip.

This product, Reaper, has become something of a sensation in recent years.

Small footprint, great community, goes like shit off a shovel, monster feature list, under constant development.

There are even people abandoning top of the range pro software such as Pro Tools to use Reaper.

You get the whole thing free for 2 months. Then it's $60. If you are really, really brassic there is nothing to stop you saving your work and re-installing.

Reply #17
Top Tip.

This product, Reaper, has become something of a sensation in recent years.

Small footprint, great community, goes like shit off a shovel, monster feature list, under constant development.

There are even people abandoning top of the range pro software such as Pro Tools to use Reaper.

You get the whole thing free for 2 months. Then it's $60. If you are really, really brassic there is nothing to stop you saving your work and re-installing.

yes it's a great software
but it's multi track editor
there is a possibility to have portable version too , to have in the usb stick