Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_discogs (Read 1346728 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_discogs

Reply #1325
If discogs will disallow such services I won't contribute to them any longer...

But isn't this something you should tell discogs in their own forums? I don't think they read here.
product feedback is always a good thing, when talking to the producer directly. otherwise, they'll never know you even exist :-)

The problem is that Discogs seems to see these types of efforts as irrelevant at best to their internal goals and at worst, a serious drain on their resources, so I personally doubt they want to help in these types of efforts. As well, it seems many forums, including Discogs', aren't really very tolerant of critics.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

foo_discogs

Reply #1326
The problem is that Discogs seems to see these types of efforts as irrelevant at best to their internal goals and at worst, a serious drain on their resources, so I personally doubt they want to help in these types of efforts. As well, it seems many forums, including Discogs', aren't really very tolerant of critics.

Nope, thats not the problem.

The most common "problem" is, that people talk at the wrong places and misapply their thoughs about XZY to the wrong people but don't realize, they never get heard or can change anything.
just go to the discogs forum, talk to them. thats the only thing you can do, actually, IF U want to be heard by the people which decide about the things you concern about.

But....if u don't want to be heard or change anything, and just moan around a little bit, than this is -of course- the right place :-) 

But be aware, nobody will or can change a feature or a setting of the discogs API itself.

foo_discogs

Reply #1327
Hi, do I understand it correctly, that API restrictions are 1000 images / per user - per application / per day?
that wouldn't be a big issue if the creator of foo_discogs bubblegum brings the user login dialog for our plugin. I believe that everyone of us have the account anyway....

foo_discogs

Reply #1328
Is there any other plugin, similar to foo_discogs, for finding tag information?

foo_discogs

Reply #1330
Is there any other plugin, similar to foo_discogs, for finding tag information?

try MusicBrainz Tagger - it is very cool
you can also try good old freedb online tagger

Both plugins, as far as I know, need the whole list of tracks of an album in order to recognize it and retrieve the information from the servers.
I think they can not work in a single track just as foo_discogs did.

foo_discogs

Reply #1331
Isn't it obvious? Discogs is screwing around with the API again.

Yes, but why the similar discogs plugin for MediaMonkey still works great without any update needed?

foo_discogs

Reply #1332
But isn't this something you should tell discogs in their own forums? I don't think they read here.
product feedback is always a good thing, when talking to the producer directly. otherwise, they'll never know you even exist :-)

Can you point me at the right spot to complain at discogs? I am lost in their forum / groups.

Thanks.

foo_discogs

Reply #1334
Any workaround to make this plugin work except for manually searching and pasting links? Maybe there's just a single line that needs modification in accordance with current discogs' API and the thingy magically works again... one of those 'I wish I had the wits' moments.

foo_discogs

Reply #1335
having looked at the discogs forum, some major API changes are coming on the 22nd august and unless the component is updated, it will not work at all. IIRC, this component uses the XML feeds but those are being turned off in favour of JSON. also, authentication will be required to use the database search. i have no idea if this component uses that particular feed or whether it uses something more specific?? if it does, that will be more work for bubbleguuum.

that said, i have no idea why it isn't working properly at the moment??

foo_discogs

Reply #1337
So, am I right in assuming that this is not working at the moment [at all]? And, to seek an alternative until "it is fixed"?

foo_discogs

Reply #1338
And, to seek an alternative until "it is fixed"?

Mp3tag can retrieve information from Discogs. Currently, it's probably best to either use the beta (as it fixes a few Discogs-related problems) or to use a custom web sources script. I like the highly configurable Discogs pone mod.

foo_discogs

Reply #1339
And, to seek an alternative until "it is fixed"?

Mp3tag can retrieve information from Discogs. Currently, it's probably best to either use the beta (as it fixes a few Discogs-related problems) or to use a custom web sources script. I like the highly configurable Discogs pone mod.

Is MP3Tags part of Foobar or a plug-in? And, how would you configure it to use Discogs?

foo_discogs

Reply #1341
Is MP3Tags part of Foobar or a plug-in? And, how would you configure it to use Discogs?

I might have misunderstood your post. I didn't read "alternative" as "alternative foobar plugin". As marc said, Mp3tag is a standalone application. In case you were looking for a different foobar plugin, just ignore my posts. I didn't mean to derail.

The version downloadable here is the beta I mentioned earlier. It supports Discogs tagging out-of-the-box. (Mark a track. Go to Tag Sources -> Discogs.)

The other thing I mentioned is a script that needs to be installed manually (link).

foo_discogs

Reply #1342

I might have misunderstood your post. I didn't read "alternative" as "alternative foobar plugin". As marc said, Mp3tag is a standalone application. In case you were looking for a different foobar plugin, just ignore my posts. I didn't mean to derail.

The version downloadable here is the beta I mentioned earlier. It supports Discogs tagging out-of-the-box. (Mark a track. Go to Tag Sources -> Discogs.)

The other thing I mentioned is a script that needs to be installed manually (link).

As a standalone, I"v been using Tag&Rename for quite a while now. I also used dbpoweramp for conversion and ripping. How do these compare with other software solutions?

foo_discogs

Reply #1343
If wanted to make the "Artist" field equal to the "Album Artist" field wherever "Album Artist" is not not empty for my entire collection, would this make sense? And, how would I do that? i.e. What's the best software solution?

foo_discogs

Reply #1344
foo_discogs (as well as foo_musicbrainz) are for tagging, not for copying/modifying existing tags.

foo_discogs

Reply #1346
Quote from: TheEmpathicEar link=msg=0 date=
If wanted to make the "Artist" field equal to the "Album Artist" field wherever "Album Artist" is not not empty for my entire collection, would this make sense? And, how would I do that? i.e. What's the best software solution?
I know. I was interested to see if it made sense from a tagging point of view?

What about compilation albums?

foo_discogs

Reply #1347
As a standalone, I"v been using Tag&Rename for quite a while now. I also used dbpoweramp for conversion and ripping. How do these compare with other software solutions?

foo_discogs (as well as foo_musicbrainz) are for tagging, not for copying/modifying existing tags.

You might get answers to your questions if you posted them in the correct forum. This thread is for posting questions specific to or at least related to using foo_discogs.

foo_discogs

Reply #1348
Fair enough. I thought with Discogs "unavailable" at the moment, that maybe we could diverge a little...

foo_discogs

Reply #1349
Quote from: TheEmpathicEar link=msg=0 date=

What about compilation albums?

[I just wanted to respond to this...] The only compilation I am aware of this: "The Best of The Girl Groups Vol 1 & 2". But, this is defined in foo_dop [iPod Manager] for my iPod as anything that the following string evaluates to 1 or true: "$if($stricmp($meta(album artist),various artists),1,%ipod_compilation%)".
The question is: Do/should "Greatest Hits" collections in general get classified as compilations?