Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Would you like a music catagory in the forums?

Yes
[ 363 ] (65.4%)
No
[ 192 ] (34.6%)

Total Members Voted: 679

Topic: Would you like a music category in the forums? (Read 36909 times) previous topic - next topic

Would you like a music category in the forums?

Like the topic says.  We're thinking of adding a few new forums to the site, and this is one of the ideas that has come up multiple times.  What do you guys think?  Obviously this would not be a trading community of any sort, it'd just be for discussion of music related issues that are normally outside the scope of other HA topics.  It seems that there have been an increasing number of these topics being made in the off-topic section to the point where they may warrant their own special forum even.

Reply #1
Good idea, Dibrom.

Being that this is an audio website, everybody here seems to have a greater interest in music than most people I have met on the street. A forum would be a great way to discuss music in general, old and new bands, and would probably introduce people to new music that they hadn't previously heard of/considered listening to. I'm for it!

Reply #2
Yes, please. I'm one of the people who's asked there for the creation of such a forum.

Reply #3
I voted "no."  As interesting as it may be I don't see a good fit with "Cross-Platform Cross-Format Psychoacoustic Audio Compression."  I don't think this is where I would go to talk about music - I may be proven wrong, but I don't want us to lose focus.
Was that a 1 or a 0?

Reply #4
I voted "no."  As interesting as it may be I don't see a good fit with "Cross-Platform Cross-Format Psychoacoustic Audio Compression."  I don't think this is where I would go to talk about music - I may be proven wrong, but I don't want us to lose focus.

I think HA moved beyond this a long time ago.  We already have forums for lossless compression and audio hardware for example.  Heck, this little slogan isn't even what we use on IRC anymore... it's only still at the top of the site because I haven't gotten anyone to make a new logo.  Other problems with the current logo are the seperate of the words Hydrogen and Audio.  Strictly speaking, it should be just Hydrogenaudio

Reply #5
I think this one's a bit of a no-brainer. Besides the fact that we all share a common interest in music (and might possibly stand to gain from hearing about what others are listening to), it would be a great vehicle for spreading the word about HA through a more generic forum area more suited to the musical masses.

A fabulous idea, with obvious benefits to boot...

(w00t)

Reply #6
I've nothing against the idea, but for more readability, I'd prefer that no mention of the threads will appear on HA portal, even on Active Topic (shoud be selected on option). It should be a complete different forum. Otherwise, I'm a bit afraid about HA identity (and serious).
Keep in mind the first weeks when fb2k forum were launched : portal was flooded by tons of posts with no direct relation with audiocoding. I was bored by that... I don't really want to see it again.

No vote for me.

Reply #7
I've nothing against the idea, but for more readability, I'd prefer that no mention of the threads will appear on HA portal, even on Active Topic (shoud be selected on option). It should be a complete different forum. Otherwise, I'm a bit afraid about HA identity (and serious).
Keep in mind the first weeks when fb2k forum were launched : portal was flooded by tons of posts with no direct relation with audiocoding. I was bored by that... I don't really want to see it again.

I was going to post about this, but forgot.  Of course it's pretty much a given that posts in this forum would be excluded from the active topics display.

Reply #8
I think HA moved beyond this a long time ago.  We already have forums for lossless compression and audio hardware for example.  Heck, this little slogan isn't even what we use on IRC anymore... it's only still at the top of the site because I haven't gotten anyone to make a new logo.  Other problems with the current logo are the seperate of the words Hydrogen and Audio.  Strictly speaking, it should be just Hydrogenaudio

I understand your points.  The idea seems to be getting a lot of support and all good things need to evolve to thrive, so it wouldn't hurt to try it.  As long as the threads are separate like Foobar's then it would probably work pretty well.

Of course, the standards would have to be a little different - music taste is highly subjective.  Might be a good forum for undisciplined venting of opinion as opposed to the more rigorous audio forum.

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']>Edit: added subjectivity comment.<[/span]
Was that a 1 or a 0?

Reply #9
If you made such a forum, would you by chance need a new moderator?

(OT, what happened to your avatar Dibrom?)
Happiness - The agreeable sensation of contemplating the misery of others.

Reply #10
Being one of the people guilty of proliferating music-mania in the O/T forum, I obviously voted yes.  After all, as others here have said, it's music that brings us all together here.

guruboolez and DigitalMan make good points IMO about being careful to maintain the focus and readability of the site.  Though I've only been here a couple of weeks, this has become my favorite hangout on the internet, and I spend as much time in O/T talking music as in the main forums talking audio.

I'm glad HA has a focus which has expanded beyond psychoacoustic audio compression, but it's of course up to Dibrom to determine and maintain the "course" that HA takes, and however wide or narrow that course may be.

Then again, if it were up to me, I'd have a "Pink Floyd" forum, and another one for all other music.  Or maybe a PF trivia forum, a PF news forum, an alternate PF media (books/films/art) forum, and then one forum for all other music. 

Reply #11
A "Pink Floyd Underwear/Panties" forum would be nice as well   

I'm all for such a music forum, if that's gonna relieve O-T forum from such posts. Judging from related threads, many HA members have some really good/interesting taste in music.

Reply #12
A good idea to me

If the Music forum is included in the Off-Topic category, there shouldn't be problems with it obscuring the real heart of the forum's threads, whilst adding more of the 'lighter side' of music
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Reply #13
I agree with the idea.

I might add that some very strong rules must be thought for the music forum, even if it is in the Offtopic forum, because if you ever though software/codec evangelism was strong, bands/Genre evangelism is ten times worse.

For starters, something must be done to stop some of the ignorant metal ()specially numetal) fans, before the form is flooded with rants about bands.
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Reply #14
I also like the idea.  I mean, we're all (at least most of us) are here because we like listening to our music, right? 

I don't think that any more rules are necessary, but some heavy-handed, fast-acting moderation probably will be.  A good discussion could degenerate into a poo flinging holy war in 2 posts flat.

But I still think it sounds great.

Reply #15
I voted yes, but I'm also afraid that this could be somewhat dangerous...

Anyway, I'm sure it's worth trying.

Enjoy!

Reply #16
I think it's a great idea, so long as it went in the misc section so it wasn't something to attract people to the site. It's what the site is based on. If people are enthusiastic enough to participate here and get perfect quality for their songs, certainly they have something to say about the music.

Reply #17

No vote for me.

agree... should it be listed in "hosted forums"???

Edit : Voted "yes"

Reply #18

No vote for me.

agree... should it be listed in "hosted forums"???

Edit : Voted "yes" 

No, in the Misc Forum with Offtopic.

OT:

Isn't the plural of forum, fora and not forums?
being a non native english speaker, I may be
wrong, can anyone correct me, please..........
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Reply #19
OT:

Isn't the plural of forum, fora and not forums?
being a non native english speaker, I may be
wrong, can anyone correct me, please..........

Both are correct.  Yourdictionary.com specifies the plural variants for "forum" as...

fo·rum  (fôr um)  n.  ...  pl. fo·rums, also fo·ra (fôr a)

Reply #20
/me looks at the "What are you currently listening to" thread
I assume posts in that music forum won't add to post count?

Reply #21
I voted "no."  Personally, I come to this site for news/information regarding music quality, hardware, and formats.  I have other forums/sources to discuss music I like, but this is the only site I come to in order to learn more about how to truly appreciate the music.  But as long as the discussions stay out of the active topics, adding to the forums wouldn't detract from the experience of those uninterested, and I would continue visiting regularly.
-CyberInferno

Reply #22
Music forum? Yes please.

Might subforums with main genres be an idea? (Blues, Jazz, Rock, Newage/Ambient/Entertainment, Techno/Industrial, Classical)

Reply #23
Might subforums with main genres be an idea? (Blues, Jazz, Rock, Newage/Ambient/Entertainment, Techno/Industrial, Classical)

If we add this forum, this would be the biggest problem I think.  I'm not sure that discrete categories would work out so well.  For example, just in your listing, you've missed a pretty significant portion of the music I personally listen to.  The problem is how broad to make the categories, and which categories not to include at all because they are likely too small to have much discussion, and this doesn't even take into consideration stuff that can't clearly be categorized at all.

Reply #24
I am all for the adding of a forum for discussion of music, though I do not think it should be sub-divided in to genres. Much of what I listen to spans many genres. I think it also prevents people from being exposed to new bands (to an extent) if they were to not read a certain sub-forum, for example.