Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Plextor gone insane ? (Read 31893 times) previous topic - next topic

Plextor gone insane ?

Don't know whether this is the right place to be, but this is unbelievable ...

read here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=138061
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #1
That's absurd.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #2
That's absurd.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=301048"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Buy more Plextor or boycott? If this is real theire mud to me...
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #3
Don't know whether this is the right place to be, but this is unbelievable ...
This is a complete and utter absurd. 

"Plextor gone insane ?" - it looks like this is the case...

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #4
That's absurd.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=301048"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As absurd of paying 100 for a burner that everyone else sells for 50?

(Though their SATA burner is pretty cool even if it costs double what it should)

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #5
I have been a long time user of Plextor devices. If they follow this through I doubt I'll ever be buying another. 
daefeatures.co.uk

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #6
I've just emailed the register - hopefully they'll bring it up. Fingers crossed!
hi

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #7
We buy a drive with "median" dvd write quality and we pay 2 times much than a similar drive.
The advantage are the extra tools.
Now they do  a thing like that ...
(they have done the same to cd-dvd speed autor , they dont let im release a plextor version ...).
The question is that they want us to pay 40€ for plextools XL. after the extra price of a medium drive...
for me the choice is clear ... no more Plextor

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #8
I could understand Plextor's policy if they released a Linux version of Plextools XL ... but there is no Linux support (in terms of Plextor's tools) at all so can't understand why they threaten to sue a private person whose work will actually attract potential extra customers (die-hard Linux users, that is) ...

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #9
I just send an email regarding this topic to "heise.de" (a big german IT newssite), hopefully they will post some lines there. I think this cannot be overlooked!

Greetings.

edit: I just received an answer from heise.de telling me that they are trying to get an response from Plextor - although it's very unlikely this will happen today or tomorrow. At least there is a chance this will appear as news on the main site...
"If there 's no soul in the computer's music, it's because nobody put it there." - Björk.

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #10
submitted at OSNN.net
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #11
Somebody could tipe Mike at Inq and ppl at Reg. One of them is sure to follow up.

Finally, slashdot just _loves_ these kinds of things as well

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #12
Heh,

I am a 1st time Plextor buyer. I bought PX-716A. Mainly for reliable CD ripping. I did QA test as described on the EAC site and compared with several of my other drives. Well maybe this drive good error correction, but its error concealment is a joke.

Also if there are too many errors it drops the extraction. My other dirt cheap drives will recover. It took me 10 trials to create a test disk which does not make this drive choke so that I can complete a test on it.

Plextools 2.23 is so buggy that is should not even leave R&D. For example I cannot load any settings I saved. Only way to save the settings to set 'save on exit', but again I cannot load (or save) the settings into a config file. Certain settings are never saved such as 'Use 1st Session Only". It is a joke. Also just searching on HA I found that they had a lot of serious bugs in previous Plextools. Clearly they have no professional SW developers and they QA dept must be a joke. I work for a large test instrument manufacturer company and I can tell you that stuff like this would not even make its way to the QA dept let alone leaving it.

Sometimes I really wonder why everybody considers this company so highly. I can tell you that all this bad experience plus this corporate bullying convinced me that I stick to Lite-on. They have Q1 Q2 tests etc as well with kprobe. Plextor can stuff themselves. I have a middle-aged guy with some money to burn, but Plextor will not see any of that any more.

Triza

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #13
They've probably gone mad. It's a major pain in the ass. They threaten useful volunteers. Shame on Plextor.

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #14
Heh,

I am a 1st time Plextor buyer. I bought PX-716A. Mainly for reliable CD ripping. I did QA test as described on the EAC site and compared with several of my other drives. Well maybe this drive good error correction, but its error concealment is a joke.

Also if there are too many errors it drops the extraction. My other dirt cheap drives will recover. It took me 10 trials to create a test disk which does not make this drive choke so that I can complete a test on it.

Plextools 2.23 is so buggy that is should not even leave R&D. For example I cannot load any settings I saved. Only way to save the settings to set 'save on exit', but again I cannot load (or save) the settings into a config file. Certain settings are never saved such as 'Use 1st Session Only". It is a joke. Also just searching on HA I found that they had a lot of serious bugs in previous Plextools. Clearly they have no professional SW developers and they QA dept must be a joke. I work for a large test instrument manufacturer company and I can tell you that stuff like this would not even make its way to the QA dept let alone leaving it.

Sometimes I really wonder why everybody considers this company so highly. I can tell you that all this bad experience plus this corporate bullying convinced me that I stick to Lite-on. They have Q1 Q2 tests etc as well with kprobe. Plextor can stuff themselves. I have a middle-aged guy with some money to burn, but Plextor will not see any of that any more.

Triza
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=301200"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It would be kind of funny if a free linux version from independent developpers performs better then the real thing developped by plextor. Anyway, my previous  experience with plextor didnt made me happy, and reading things like this doesnt really improve my opinion on that brand.  I will never buy one again, but i already made this decision after my 2nd plextor died after 8 months

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #15
It would be kind of funny if a free linux version from independent developpers performs better then the real thing developped by plextor. Anyway, my previous  experience with plextor didnt made me happy, and reading things like this doesnt really improve my opinion on that brand.  I will never buy one again, but i already made this decision after my 2nd plextor died after 8 months
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=301217"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In fact, Alexander Noe's Win32 App PxScan/PxView did work better than Plextools Pro's (and XL's) Q-Check ... it allows resizing, logarithmic scaling, PNG output, speed setting and consecutive scan runs for Sum-8 PIE and Sum-1 PIF, JitterBeta and TA ...

I guess it simply came too close to the commercial Plextools XL ...

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #16
In fact, Alexander Noe's Win32 App PxScan/PxView did work better than Plextools Pro's (and XL's) Q-Check (...) I guess it simply came too close to the commercial Plextools XL ...
You may be right...

And it's "interesting", that such a brand as Plextor decided to throw unfair accusations at people whose work could help Plextor's good name, instead of fixing and extending their own apllication's capabilities...

Which could have been done, considering an amount of time and a number of coders Plextor have at their command...

It's just unbelievable. And it shall get even more if someone from Plextor mentions they didn't expect such a reaction from the community as the present one.

I can just shake my head... It's just too nonsensical.

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #17
Good thing I never wasted my money on their overpriced hardware

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #18
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=301294"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Exactly. I don't understand why these people want to make freeware software for an expensive piece of hardware when they could buy & do the same for cheaper hardware such as Lite-on drives.

I can tell you if I was spending my time developing a piece of software (even if it was just for my own use) & I got that kind of response I would stop developing it without a question.

After all you only help increase sales for them, why do it?

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #19
I thought about buying a Plextor drive for some time, they just figured out how to lose another customer. (Way to ruin your good name Plextor!)

P.S. get it while it's hot http://sourceforge.net/projects/pxscan/
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']"We will restore chaos"-Bush on Iraq[/span]

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #20
So who is second in quality behind plextor? Are they as bad?

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #21
Synaptic Line Noise,

I have various commitments in the last week or so, but I will publish my DAE quality tests in a weeks's time. That will look more objective. But my rant about plextools is pretty much the fact.

Triza

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #22
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=301294"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Me too!
They can go bankrupt, 'cause I never liked them anyway...
"Jazz washes away the dust of everyday life" (Art Blakey)

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #23
>So who is second in quality behind plextor? Are they as bad?

Who is to say plextor is number 1? it is a myth that has been put about for so long (it was probabbly true in the early days of cd ripping, but things have come on now and cd ripping is a piece of cake for most cd drives). I have plextor drives and when the going gets tough there are other drives that perform better.

I have long known that plextor is a shit company, I once approached them asking for the plextor specific command to disable the first session, they refused and even though I reversed engineered it I couldn't be bothered implementing it, if they want everyone to use plextools only then fine by me, perhaps I would have got a legal letter. Like I said a shit company.

Plextor gone insane ?

Reply #24
I have long known that plextor is a shit company, I once approached them asking for the plextor specific command to disable the first session, they refused and even though I reversed engineered it I couldn't be bothered implementing it, if they want everyone to use plextools only then fine by me, perhaps I would have got a legal letter.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=301780"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You could have asked Andre Wiethoff about it ...

Anyway, LG Electronics refuses to give support (in terms of drive command set specs) to the Feurio! developers ... I guess every company has its drawbacks.