Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Any reason why FB2K fails to delete "VA" from album artist ? (Read 3088 times) previous topic - next topic

Any reason why FB2K fails to delete "VA" from album artist ?

Hi

I have some albums that I've tried to remove the Various Artists tag from Album Artist field - but each time I do so & apply, it reappears again !

Any ideas ?

thanks

Reply #1
Are these iTunes encoded files? foobar2000 v1.1.6 introduced some Metadata Compatibiliy changes.

What happens if you press shift + right-click -> Tagging -> Reload Info from files, as described in the mentioned WIKI article?
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #2
Maybe you use CUE sheets. If yes: foobar2000 supports very limited set of tags in CUE files. And composer=album artist=band=original artist.

Reply #3
Are these iTunes encoded files? foobar2000 v1.1.6 introduced some Metadata Compatibiliy changes.

What happens if you press shift + right-click -> Tagging -> Reload Info from files, as described in the mentioned WIKI article?

Not sure about iTunes - although there is a metadata field called ITUNES COMPILATION & value = 1.

Have tried Reload Info - nothing happened.

*UPDATE*  Deleting the ITUNES COMPILATION field before deleting Various Artists from Album Artist field fixed it.

Reply #4
*UPDATE*  Deleting the ITUNES COMPILATION field before deleting Various Artists from Album Artist field fixed it.

I don't think that the order in which you delete the tags plays a role. Instead I assume that your ALBUM ARTIST field has been empty and therefore fetched its content from the ITUNESCOMPILATION tag. If I am right the deletion of the ITUNESCOMPILATION tag would have been sufficient.

If your ALBUM ARTIST tag would have had its own content, foobar2000 would have prioritized it over the ITUNESCOMPILATION tag.

Reply #5

I don't think that the order in which you delete the tags plays a role. Instead I assume that your ALBUM ARTIST field has been empty and therefore fetched its content from the ITUNESCOMPILATION tag. If I am right the deletion of the ITUNESCOMPILATION tag would have been sufficient.

If your ALBUM ARTIST tag would have had its own content, foobar2000 would have prioritized it over the ITUNESCOMPILATION tag.

Album Artist = Various Artists
ITUNESCOMPILATION = 1

So I had to delete the latter to make deleting the former work, if that makes sense ?

Reply #6
Yes. The "1" indicates the existence of the ITUNESCOMPILATION tag. And from the WIKI article I mentioned above:

foobar2000 links the iTunes ITUNESCOMPILATION tag to the ALBUM ARTIST tag. In case an ITUNESCOMPILATION tag is found in a file, foobar2000 treats it as if ALBUM ARTIST was set to "Various Artists". If an ALBUM ARTIST tag is found, ITUNESCOMPILATION will be ignored.

This is want I meant, but I could be wrong.

Reply #7
You must delete them both at once. Deleting only the ITUNESCOMPILATION field will cause the Album Artist field to be written to the file as it was originally filled in when the tag was read.

Reply #8
Thank you for the clarification, kode54.

Sorry for my misinformation, swayzak.