IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Sound Card Line-in Only Playing at Half Volume, Sound Card: M-Audio Audiophile 2496
AltyUK
post Feb 24 2011, 23:41
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 81381

Sound Card: M-Audio Audiophile 2496

I just purchased this sound card. I have set it up so that I record with the RCA line-in. The playback works fine, but when I try and record from my mixer (playing at maximum volume) in Audacity, it only records at about half volume. I made sure that the recording volume for the sound card was on 100% in the Windows' Recording Devices. I also made sure that the recording volume was 100% in Audacity, as well as in the M-Audio control panel. Anyone know where the problem might be stemming from?

Also, when I record from my mixer using the built in sound on the motherboard it works at full volume.

Cheers.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
WonderSlug
post Feb 25 2011, 05:07
Post #2

Member No.: 51066

Are you using Windows XP or Windows Vista/7?
+Quote Post
AndyH-ha
post Feb 25 2011, 05:55
Post #3

Member No.: 24222

There is no recording amplification available. The sound card receives whatever the outside input signal is. It passes it on exactly. If you go through the cardís DSP chip, recording from the cardís mixer, you can reduce the signal level to the recording application (never a good idea unless you are mixing multiple sources in the cardís mixer) but you cannot increase its level.

100% on the input controls means 100% of what came in. If that isnít at a high enough signal level, you must amplify it in the analogue domain, before it reaches the sound card. This is the norm for line-in of professional type sound cards.
+Quote Post
Arnold B. Kruege...
post Feb 25 2011, 15:18
Post #4

Member No.: 61311

QUOTE (AltyUK @ Feb 24 2011, 17:41) *

I just purchased this sound card. I have set it up so that I record with the RCA line-in. The playback works fine, but when I try and record from my mixer (playing at maximum volume) in Audacity, it only records at about half volume. I made sure that the recording volume for the sound card was on 100% in the Windows' Recording Devices. I also made sure that the recording volume was 100% in Audacity, as well as in the M-Audio control panel. Anyone know where the problem might be stemming from?

I don't see any problem. Amplify your signal in the digital domain using frely availble software like Audacity if you don't already have something better.

It is arguable that recording with 6 dB of heardroom as you are doing, is good practice.

Also, when I record from my mixer using the built in sound on the motherboard it works at full volume.///

Different audio interface with diffierent sensitivity and probalby also with an input level control.

+Quote Post
AltyUK
post Feb 25 2011, 20:49
Post #5

QUOTE (WonderSlug @ Feb 25 2011, 04:07) *
Are you using Windows XP or Windows Vista/7?

Windows 7

QUOTE (AndyH-ha @ Feb 25 2011, 04:55) *
There is no recording amplification available. The sound card receives whatever the outside input signal is. It passes it on exactly. If you go through the cardís DSP chip, recording from the cardís mixer, you can reduce the signal level to the recording application (never a good idea unless you are mixing multiple sources in the cardís mixer) but you cannot increase its level.

100% on the input controls means 100% of what came in. If that isnít at a high enough signal level, you must amplify it in the analogue domain, before it reaches the sound card. This is the norm for line-in of professional type sound cards.

The things is, the levels on the mixer go right up to the red lights at 0dB. The only way I get ordinary levels in Audacity is to push the levels of the mixer well into the red.

QUOTE (Arnold B. Krueger @ Feb 25 2011, 14:18) *
QUOTE (AltyUK @ Feb 24 2011, 17:41) *

I don't see any problem. Amplify your signal in the digital domain using frely availble software like Audacity if you don't already have something better.

It is arguable that recording with 6 dB of heardroom as you are doing, is good practice.

Also, when I record from my mixer using the built in sound on the motherboard it works at full volume.///

Different audio interface with diffierent sensitivity and probalby also with an input level control.

So how do I amplify the signal further in Audacity? It is already on 100% recording volume, but I assume you're referring to something different.

Cheers.
+Quote Post
DVDdoug
post Feb 25 2011, 22:00
Post #6

Member No.: 46454

The things is, the levels on the mixer go right up to the red lights at 0dB. The only way I get ordinary levels in Audacity is to push the levels of the mixer well into the red.
Weird! I don't have an answer for that... I'm not sure about Audacity, and it might depend on your hardware, but usually "red" means clipping* (distortion).

So how do I amplify the signal further in Audacity? It is already on 100% recording volume, but I assume you're referring to something different.
I don't have Audacity handy at the moment and I don't use it everyday so I can't tell you exactly how, but you can boost the volume (after recording) by as much as you like... +20dB (10x) or more if you wish!

* Audicaty itself won't clip. Like most audio editing software it uses 32-bit floating-point for internal operations/storage. But the analog-to-digital converter can clip, and when you save a file as a "regular" integer WAV file, it can be clipped during the save process.
+Quote Post
Juha
post Feb 26 2011, 07:26
Post #7

Member No.: 40610

Have you tried by using ASIO (ASIO compatible recording software: Ableton Live Lite is bundled with the card, couple others:Cockos Reaper, Hermann Seib's VSTHost, Sony Sound Forge (trial version), plenty of other trial versions available)

Juha
+Quote Post
AltyUK
post Feb 27 2011, 18:29
Post #8

QUOTE (DVDdoug @ Feb 25 2011, 21:00) *
Weird! I don't have an answer for that... I'm not sure about Audacity, and it might depend on your hardware, but usually "red" means clipping* (distortion).

I don't have Audacity handy at the moment and I don't use it everyday so I can't tell you exactly how, but you can boost the volume (after recording) by as much as you like... +20dB (10x) or more if you wish!

* Audicaty itself won't clip. Like most audio editing software it uses 32-bit floating-point for internal operations/storage. But the analog-to-digital converter can clip, and when you save a file as a "regular" integer WAV file, it can be clipped during the save process.

Yes, the red does mean it is clipping, but it is the only way that the volume goes to reasonable levels in the computer.

And, yes I would much rather I get it working properly, rather than using a hack in Audacity which could lead to a loss in quality.

QUOTE (Juha @ Feb 26 2011, 06:26) *
Have you tried by using ASIO (ASIO compatible recording software: Ableton Live Lite is bundled with the card, couple others:Cockos Reaper, Hermann Seib's VSTHost, Sony Sound Forge (trial version), plenty of other trial versions available)

Juha

I installed Ableton Live Lite, and I still get this same problem - both using DirectSound and ASIO.
+Quote Post
AltyUK
post Feb 28 2011, 19:03
Post #9

Cheers for your help. Just spent a while troubleshooting, and basically it came down to it being the cable - really wouldn't have expected it to have such an effect. Thanks again guys.
+Quote Post
Arnold B. Kruege...
post Feb 28 2011, 22:15
Post #10

Member No.: 61311

QUOTE (AltyUK @ Feb 27 2011, 12:29) *
QUOTE (DVDdoug @ Feb 25 2011, 21:00) *

Yes, the red does mean it is clipping, but it is the only way that the volume goes to reasonable levels in the computer.

And, yes I would much rather I get it working properly, rather than using a hack in Audacity which could lead to a loss in quality.

If you are worried about audible quality losses when you add 6 dB gain in Audacity, you are building up into an appointment with TOS 8.
+Quote Post
tropicalfish
post Mar 1 2011, 07:25
Post #11

Member No.: 79758

What mixer are you using? o.O
Most professional audio mixers output at a level sufficient to drive most sound cards well into clipping with a proper gain structure.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd October 2014 - 03:24