Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Please Help! Nero Doesn't Detect My Cd/rw Drive (Read 4651 times) previous topic - next topic

Please Help! Nero Doesn't Detect My Cd/rw Drive

Hi all.

I'm in big trouble, because even latest Nero version (5.5.9.17) doesn't want to detect my Sony CRX 175A1 burner. I've tried few versions before the latest, and none of them worked. Before I had Yamaha CRW 4x4x16e, and it was working perfectly with Nero. Now CDRWin works perfectly with Sony, and I like that program, but Nero has some useful options, and sometimes I just _NEED_ to use Nero.
What can I do? Is it the problem with my burner?
Somebody said, that this model is de facto an OEM version of a LiteOn burner, but I don't have any experience with LiteOn burners. Any opinions?
I simply can't believe that latest Nero version doesn't support the drive.

Reply #1
There is a new version of Nero! It's called (5.5.9.17.1) or something like that. You might find this link usefull:http://www.fileconnect.net/

Reply #2
From what I understand, and I am by no means an expert :
Having CDR-Win and Nero installed at the same time is a bad idea... they try to use the same files (dll's) or something.  I think its a case of "You have been lucky in the past".

Of course, I could be talking absolute froth

Reply #3
Hi miles. Please tell your cd-rw record and read speeds, only to have an idea, because I don't know the specs of the model. If your Sony is a Lite-On, for sure it'll have a feature called smart-burn, or smart-x, or maybe both. If it is a rebagged Litey, the best you can do is convert it to a real Lite-On, by upgrading the firmware. It'll work much better that way, and maybe Nero will detect it.

Reply #4
From what I understand, and I am by no means an expert :
Having CDR-Win and Nero installed at the same time is a bad idea... they try to use the same files (dll's) or something.  I think its a case of "You have been lucky in the past".

Of course, I could be talking absolute froth

Cdr Win, by Goldenhawk software, not the other version, is a non-intrusive recording software, wich means it won't interfere with another software you could have installed (Nero, for example), so it can't be the source of the problem, for sure.

Reply #5
To Fin Coder:
Yes, I know 'bout Nero 5.5.9.17.1 - but this version only removes a bug with shortcuts, it is not major update over 5.5.9.17

To Lev:
I've been using CDRWin + Nero for a long time with no problems at all. Indeed, CDRWin is very non-intrusive, smart and powerful software. You can even use it from a floppy, without install - it works perfectly. I don't think it is the problem, but thank you for the advice.

To Mc Tanza:
My drive is 24x12x40 speed (HiSpeed) CD/RW drive from Sony (???) - the model says Sony CRX175A1. It has the latest (Sony) firmware on it. Recently I found a web page, where I discovered, that this is de facto OEM version of Lite On LTR 24102b.
However, the drive is working perfectly, and I am very satisfied with it. It burn OK, rips audio OK, everything is fine, except, that Nero wont recognize it.
Do you really recommend me to upgrade with latest LiteOn firmware? I've already done something similar, but with regular CD-Rom drive - It was Compaq, and it was ripping CD-audio ~ at 1x with many errors. Later I discovered that this is de facto repacked Samsung. I downloaded the latest firmware for corresponding Samsung model, upgraded Compaq drive, and it started working perfectly - rip audio at 8x-10x without any errors. Only it's ID changed to Samsung, but what's the matter?

See this URL:

Sony firmware upgrade info page

Reply #6
I've visited the link, and if you are satisfied with the performance of the drive, there is no reason to upgrade to a liteon...apart from the problem with Nero. The main purpose of converting a rebagged Lite-On into the real one, is to solve bugs, and gain performance, as the original Lite-On firmware is usually more optimized than the one that do other partners, Sony in this situation. Anyway, if you have a 2410b, you can upgrade to a 32x burner, or even to a 40x one, with simple firmware change. And now for a question, the version of Nero you have installed came with an older burner? because then it might only work with the drive you purchased with Nero. It doesn't matter if you upgrade to the latest version, if the original instalation is from a locked version. So make sure your version is a free one.

Reply #7
Meanwhile I found the latest firware for corresponding Lite-On burner, I was ready to update my drive with it, but the updgrade program recognises drive as Sony, and doesn't want to apply update, so I can't use it.
I also found, that Lite-On drive comes with Nero v5.5.
And my drive, which is equivalent, Nero doesn't support. I think it's just that Nero doesn't "know the name" of my burner, because it is not so popular, may be.

I've downloaded Nero from their site.
My previous burner came with Prassi, I think. It wasn't Nero.

The problem still is not resolved.

Reply #8
Hmm... What I think Mc Tanza was hinting about, is that your version of Nero is probably locked for a certain CD-R/W model. It all depends on what serial was entered into Nero. F.ex. I don't think Nero will work on my PC no 1 (w/ Sony burner) with the serial I entered on my PC no 2 (w/ Sanyo burner).

EDIT: FYI Nero was included with my Sanyo burner.

Anyway, who needs Nero when free software such as BurnAtOnce can do just about everything Nero can (and then some)...

2ND EDIT: Oh, BTW, I almost forgot. Nero does support your burner. Take a look here

Reply #9
@kjempen: Yes, that's exactly what I tried to say! Maybe my bad English could not explain it clearly.

@Miles: Actually, you can't upgrade your drive directly with the Lite-On firmware. You need a program called mtkflash, and the original bins. If you're still interested in that matter, I can provide you with some useful links to pages wich explain the full process of converting your drive. I recall the fact that you can obtain a 32x Litey without any special risk, or even a 40x one, if you're a hardcore overclocker.

Reply #10
OK, thank you very much, friends. You helped me much, in fact, you put me on the right way.
After you told me that sometimes Nero "locks" itself to some brand, and especially after kjempen point me to the link, where I found that my burner IS supported by Nero, I was ready to fight 'till the end. 
I tried different types of registrations, but none of them worked. So I uninstalled Nero, removed every word "Nero" and "Ahead" in my Windows registry, then I reinstalled Nero, and finally it found  my burner.
Once again, thank you very much!