Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Resampling and battery life? (Read 2516 times) previous topic - next topic

Resampling and battery life?

Hi all,

Does anybody know how much battery consumption is by resampling in a smartphone (or a player app)?

I recently found that the default sampling frequency of my Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (Korean ed.) is 48kHz.
I don't know the default SR of previous SG models. I just guess Samsung decided to change the default SR
to avoid resampling 24/48 Flac files because many KR music sellers recently have begun to distribute
HQ 24/48 flac files, which might be directly converted from master sources.

Unfortunately, almost all files I have are 44.1kHz, and resampling occurs in my phone whenever I play them.
In addition, the resampling quality and battery drain may vary depending on the resampler.
(AFAIK some 3rd-party apps such as NMP include their own HQ resamplers, right?)

I think this is not an efficient way. If I resample the sources to 48k when encoding lossy files, the battery life can be increased.

PS. Probably I can change the default SR of android OS but don't want to.

Reply #1
Does anybody know how much battery consumption is by resampling in a smartphone (or a player app)?

Depends on the quality of the resampler and the hardware doing it.  Simple resampling is very efficient, high quality resampling is very power intensive.  There are many points in between.

Reply #2
Then it is better to use the SoX resampler when converting, to skip internal resampling in the phone.

Thanks for a quick reply.

Reply #3
As far as I know, most of the phones would have a 48k sampling frequency due to their design for telephony propose.
And if you are using a Bluetooth headphone, then most probably it would also use 48k.
So it is always good that you can resample it once.

But, I had seen somewhere that Android resamples everything to 44.1k by default.
That is source(44.1/48k)->44.1(android default)->48k(device native)-> device
I am not sure if this is still relevant in current android versions.

So do some research on that as well, else it will be three sample rate conversions instead of one.

Reply #4
But, I had seen somewhere that Android resamples everything to 44.1k by default.
That is source(44.1/48k)->44.1(android default)->48k(device native)-> device

Not true.

Reply #5
Then it is better to use the SoX resampler when converting, to skip internal resampling in the phone.

I think it would be better to first find out if there actually was a problem.

What has been said so far seems to me like speculation based on presumed evidence.

It's an easy enough test to run.