Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: VP5 And VP6 To Be Included In China's EVD Standard (Read 9146 times) previous topic - next topic

VP5 And VP6 To Be Included In China's EVD Standard

Beijing E-World and On2 Technologies, Inc. recently announced that On2's VP5 and VP6 video codecs are included in China's industrial standard for the new Enhanced Versatile Disk (EVD).

http://www.chinatechnews.com/index.php?act...ype=news&id=368

edit : Just found an article about the "new SBR-enhanced codec, EAC 2.0" which should be used in EVDs

Reply #1
The chinese government is out of their mind.

Reply #2
When the "civilised" world fails - we can place our hopes in the third world countries who cannot afford anything other than open standards and open source. Or not...

Reply #3
Ever heard of CVD?

Reply #4
Well, I am not surprised.

We know since several months (years?) that the Chinese gouvernment is trying to establish its own video standard.

This is not a totally new process. Ever heard of svcd? Where do you think they come from?

Reply #5
80% of DVD players are made in China.

If the Chinese government mandates something as a standard, it can become a worldwide standard by default.

I wonder if they've heard of ReplayGain?

Cheers,
David.

Reply #7
This is not a totally new process. Ever heard of svcd? Where do you think they come from?

If you mean the standard, it comes from Philips:
http://www.licensing.philips.com/informati...cuments575.html
Like nearly all other CD standards.

If you mean the actual disks, then I don't know. China?

Reply #8
Aren't vp5 and vp6 based on mpeg4? I thought the point of this new dvd standard was to remove reliance on western patents.

Reply #9
Aren't vp5 and vp6 based on mpeg4?

They are supposed to be not, but we only know what ON2 claims, so we cannot be sure they are not based on it.

Reply #10
And here we see another case of the industry attempting to lock down a format (DVD), and the non-Western countries rejecting it due to that fact. It would be nice if they'd learn something from this. Now that DRM is beginning to infiltrate computing (I recall reading about the latest AMD CPUs containing DRM-enabled "features" already), I wonder how long it will be before China gets annoyed about that and does something to counteract it. I mean, DVD encryption (CSS) was insecure, and even that much got rejected.

Before long, "Made in China" may be a symbol of freedom, at least for hardware. Wouldn't that be ironic?

Reply #11
Before long, "Made in China" may be a symbol of freedom, at least for hardware. Wouldn't that be ironic?

Yup. However the chinese are negotiating with the film studios to get movies on the new format, and there's no way on earth they'll allow that without DRM.

I looked on the on2 website - there's not a lot of techie info about their codec is there?

Reply #12
Aren't vp5 and vp6 based on mpeg4? I thought the point of this new dvd standard was to remove reliance on western patents.

I thought that vp4, vp5 and vp6 were based on vp3. The source code for VP3 was released a year or two ago and is the basis for the Ogg Theora video codec.

As for DVD encryption, the reason why the encryption that DVDs used was so lame was because the US government restricted export of strong encryption from the US. The US government has since changed this policy, additionally china never had laws like this (AFAIK) so it wouldn't have been a problem for them anyways. If they do choose to use DRM, then it will likely be several orders of magnatude more difficult to crack than the DVD encryption.

Reply #13
additionally china never had laws like this (AFAIK)

Veeery wrong.

Actually, China is much worse than the US regarding encryption.

http://rechten.kub.nl/koops/cryptolaw/cls-sum.htm
and
http://rechten.kub.nl/koops/cryptolaw/cls2.htm#prc

The US only prohibit export of strong cryptography. China prohibits export, import and even usage ("domestic controls")! :

...domestic crypto manufacture and use is severely restricted. Officially designated manufacturers must obtain aproval from the State Encryption Management Commission for the type and model (including key length) of their crypto products. Organisations and individuals may not distribute encryption products produced abroad. People may only use encryption products approved by the Commission, and they may not use commercial encryption products developed by themselves or produced abroad.

From this point of view, Brazil ist god

Reply #14
I wonder if they've heard of ReplayGain?

... they did if they read our specs, which contains a reply gain field ( that is currently unused BTW )  ... we contacted them almost 5 months ago. We received a nice email from them that they will look at matroska for their new EVD standard, but got no news since then  ....