Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Other Tags (Read 593 times) previous topic - next topic

Other Tags

I have many WAV files from LP's and CD's of classical music.  I want to convert them to mp3. Classical music is an uncomfortable fit for the basic tags. I down loaded the ID3 v 2.3.0 standard and I see there are defined tags (frames?) that would make  classical music collection columns much better.

I am willing to laboriously write these tags manually; if I do, will Foobar allow access to them? According to the "Foobar2000:Title Formatting Reference" "Metadata" section only a few basic tags appear to be accessible.  For example 'Composer" is not listed although the entry on %artist% says that the 'composer' field is checked.  Can I access 'composer' and make a column for it?  What about 'conducter'?

For example these are official frames per the standard:
TCOM is the composer frame
TPE3 is the frame for conducter

Is there some reason they are not considered part of the mp3 tag set even though they are frames in the standard?

Thanks for any help !

Other Tags

Reply #1
Both those frames are supported as well as many others. This page displays all id3 tags foobar is known to support. The "Field Name" column displays what is used to add the tag or access/display the content of the frame.

In addition, foobar supports TXXX frames which means you can add as many custom tags as you'd like. With these tags, you may use any field name you want as long as it doesn't coincide with a preexisting field name. They are accessed the same way as standard tags. Just be aware that these tags will not be accessible/visible in other players that don't support TXXX frames.

p.s. - No media player supports all id3 frames and most only support a small subset. Personally I'd prefer a lossless conversion to FLAC over a lossy one to MP3 but that's none of my business.

Other Tags

Reply #2
To make writing and editing of these tags easier within foobar2000, you may want to customize the Properties > Metadata dialog to include the fields you're working with.

Fields can be added and arranged at: Preferences > Advanced > Display > Properties Dialog > Standard fields

Format: Displayed name=FIELD NAME;

exa.: Composer=COMPOSER;Conductor=CONDUCTOR;