Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Odd Problem (Read 3277 times) previous topic - next topic

Odd Problem

I notice, with some CD's where the tracks fade to each other, that when I rip, about a quarter of a second I think should be at the beginning of a song is at the end of the one before it. The odd thing is, I've screwed around with EAC's offset settings, and even a change of plus or minus 1000 doesn't make any difference in the rips at all.

What's going on? Am I going insane? Is EAC not working properly? Are so many of the CD's I have crappily mixed (like The Chemical Brothers - Surrender)???

Odd Problem

Reply #1
A quarter of a second would be 11,025 in offset.
So in fact, when you play a track, it misses the first quarter of a second ? First thing, does the original (in a CD player) behave the same ? Or would you have appened gaps to next track instead of previous ? It would do just this if the gaps are 1/4 of a second.

Odd Problem

Reply #2
What I mean is, for Daft Punk - Discovery, the very beginning of the bell sound at the start of track 2 - Aerodynamic, is chopped off and it's on the end of track 1 - One More Time. This doesn't only happen here, but with other tracks on this CD, and several others - all tracks where there is no gap or they mix into each other.

Thanks for giving me the proper idea of how big offset values should be. I'm figuring out the proper offset for my drive right now...

Odd Problem

Reply #3
Hmm... -1450 seems about right.

Is there any kind of list for EAC for the offsets for different drives? Otherwise, what is his e-mail address so I can contact him?

Odd Problem

Reply #4
On the EAC site, on the Tips and Specs page, there is a small list at the bottom. There's also a contact page.

Odd Problem

Reply #5
Actually, I think the +102 is correct for my drive.

The thing is, I've come to notice now that some CD's are manufactured with track changes in stupid places, as was the case with my Daft Punk CD's, and the same thing for one of my Black Sabbath CD's, except in the opposite direction (I'll have to set a big +ve offset to get proper rips of 2 of the tracks.)