IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Does "Lame -m j -V 4 -q 2 -lowpass 11 -b 64" produce a VBR o, Lame options for encoding an audiobook question
njsain
post Nov 2 2012, 16:26
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 104205

The parameters "-m j -V 4 -q 2 -lowpass 11 -b 64" and Lame version 3.98r are reported by mediainfo when I open a audiobook mp3 file I downloaded from e-music. Both mediainfo and mp3tag report this file as being a CBR file, but from reading the VBR documentation here http://lame.sourceforge.net/vbr.php using the -V option produces a VBR file even without the -v parameter and the -b parameter sets the minimum bit rate instead of forcing a constant bit rate. Is that correct or am I missing something? What would be the advantage of using -V 4 when encoding a CBR file?

Nathan
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lvqcl
post Nov 2 2012, 17:07
Post #2

Group: Developer
Member No.: 49183

Encode a file with "-h -b 64" and MediaInfo will show the parameters you quoted.
+Quote Post
njsain
post Nov 2 2012, 17:56
Post #3

Member No.: 104205

Thanks lvqcl! Any idea why mediainfo is reporting the encoding settings that way? Is it a mediainfo error or is it from the Lame header of the file?
+Quote Post
[JAZ]
post Nov 4 2012, 19:59
Post #4

Member No.: 2383

-m j, V4 (when using only -v) are defaults (and -h equals to -q2).
I think it probably has to do with the Lame header, which stores a "quality" value and some related data (but not the switches themselves).
From there, part of the information can be obtained, but part of it might have no sense.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 17:36