IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
What is CELT? What is a .CELT file? How to convert it!
EarBender
post May 8 2012, 07:24
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 99602

I've read around on the internet in so many different places about CELT being a very quick and efficient audio format ( 1.3 ms to 24 ms anywhere from 32-96 kHz) and I have recently run into some .CELT files that I need to somehow convert into regular .wav files ( and vice versa ).

I've already attempted multiple ways of doing this - with most ending in failure. I managed to obtain about 5 different WIN32 versions of CELT and none of them are able to convert my .celt file into a .wav file.

I tried the decoder function (while in the command prompt, of course): celtdec input_file.celt output_file.wav

but it never seems to work. I even tried making the input file a .oga file ( I read somewhere this would work) yet still the same old error message: "This doesn't look like a CELT file." appears every time I try this in any of the versions.

I know I look like an idiot new-comer to the forums, but I really need some serious help! ohmy.gif
If anyone has experience with CELT/ the CELT decoder/encoder your help would be greatly appreciated.

This post has been edited by EarBender: May 8 2012, 07:27
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post May 8 2012, 12:29
Post #2

Member No.: 96993

Where did you get those .celt files?

CELT is a part of Opus now. It went through many bitstream changes until around mid 2011 or a little bit before. celt-tools (and later opus-tools) encode and decode with a OGG container (with .oga file suffix**).

So to sum up:

* We don't know if those .celt files you have are real.
* If they are real, we don't know when they were created (what bitstream version is used) and how they are contained.
* CELT is a part of Opus now. Look for Opus's latest code in http://git.xiph.org .

** One of the developers seems to like the .opus extention. But that's very new:
http://git.xiph.org/?p=users/giles/opus-to...0737d5952e35d2f

This post has been edited by 2012: May 8 2012, 12:30
+Quote Post
polemon
post May 8 2012, 14:25
Post #3

Member No.: 68578

QUOTE (2012 @ May 8 2012, 13:29) *
** One of the developers seems to like the .opus extention. But that's very new:
http://git.xiph.org/?p=users/giles/opus-to...0737d5952e35d2f

An .opus extension makes only sense, if the file has no OGG container and is the plain codec stream (as it is with .aac) or it has a minimal container like .flac or .mp3 that makes the file easy to handle.

Other than that, it makes much more sense to use Ogg/Opus before anything.

--------------------
-EOF-
+Quote Post
EarBender
post May 8 2012, 21:30
Post #4

Member No.: 99602

Thank you for all the information you provided. I was completely unaware that celt was called opus now.

I obtained the other tools you provided in the previous link, but I was wondering how to compile them properly.

I know the language is C and I already have several compilers, such as MSVC.

Also, I should have made this link available in my previous post. It is the link to some of the .celt files I mentioned from before. You could download and take a look at them if you want. Maybe even be able to get them into a .wav file.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?l4joqrbx4jw3c0a

Thanks again,

EB
+Quote Post
saratoga
post May 9 2012, 00:07
Post #5

Member No.: 3264

Like 2012 said, you should probably go back to the source of the files and investigate how they were encoded.
+Quote Post
Kein
post Oct 18 2013, 14:19
Post #6

Member No.: 85130

No info on this front?
I'm interested in it as well now. I have raw CELT file without headers and such and I would love to convert them into PCM WAV.
+Quote Post
kode54
post Oct 18 2013, 16:38
Post #7

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4082

libcelt was a predecessor to Opus, before SILK was integrated and the two were combined into a hybrid codec. It also had its own Ogg bitstream format. Those .celt files are likely to be Ogg files containing libcelt streams in the last known specification. A good sign is the first packet containing a magic signature starting with "CELT". These files are in no way compatible with either Ogg Opus or the Opus codec.

You can try your luck with FFMPEG, but you'll need a version with libcelt support compiled in.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 13:21