Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [COOL STORY BRO] From: using foobar 2000 on a mac (Read 1340 times) previous topic - next topic

[COOL STORY BRO] From: using foobar 2000 on a mac

Personally speaking, the day I see foobar2000 ported natively to Linux --even if it is a binary blob without source code-- is the day I say goodbye to Microsoft Windows for ever!

I use NT5.1 Windows XP and sooner or later I am going to be left with no other choice but to jump off the ship.
I am NEVER going to accept the Microsoft NT6.x line of operating systems as anything more than consumption-focused devices with the design philosophy of a poker machine!!!
I also REFUSE to install any .NET Framework Libraries or Java on any of my computers. I prefer to run natively programmed single-minded software, and i like running bare bones operating systems. As far as I'm concerned all the memory space belongs to me! and every running process and service must justify its existence and report to me and allow me to control the kill switch.

I recently conducted an experiment by installing 'Microsoft Office 2010' (trial) as guest of a Windows XP host inside a Vmware Workstation bubble. I checked out all the interfaces, I then checked out how many registry entries and filesystem objects it created....I was shocked! It totally embeds itself into every nook and cranny of your system. DO NOT even bother to uninstall it, just format your operating system if you need to start again. I haven't even told you about the black magic I had to perform just to get this software to run its own setup installer without errors!!!! The complexity of its new Help System v2.x (.HXS files) is a fucking joke....why didn't they just use HTML with JS ??? Lock-down, obfuscation and complexity for no particularly good or useful reason! The conclusion: it's total bloated rubbish which will kidnap a Godly amount of resources from YOUR computer....why? just so you can quickly view or edit a fucking .DOC file or do a few other things !!!!!

For comparison purposes, I tried the same experiment with 'Microsoft Office 2000' .....nice, very nice! WINWORD.EXE and all other tools fly open quicker than you can blink! If you are into bare-bones classic-appearance Windows 2000 or XP then this is THE MSOffice to install ......heh heh, it looks like the best software always has the characters '2000' in the name!

That rant was meant to show why I can not/will not use Microsoft products anymore and why I am interested in a Linux-based foobar2000
But now I put my logical hat on......and ask myself how exactly this native Linux foobar2000 will work unless ALL third-party component developers ALSO jump on the same boat???