Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Looking for a multi-channel hand held recorder (Read 1865 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for a multi-channel hand held recorder

Hi guys,
I'm relatively new to this and unsure about how to best go about getting an answer so I thought I'd just ask for some help,
I'm looking for a preferably handheld audio recorder that I can use to record multiple sounds and play them back either singularly or simultaneously.
So I could record a short drum riff then loop it and play it back while I record audio/guitar/anything over the top,
Is there anything like this available?

Reply #1
Hi and welcome.  Please read our Terms of Service to which you agreed upon registering, paying special attention to #6 which you broke twice (vague title, posting to the wrong subforum which has since been moved to the correct one).  We expect all of or members to understand and abide by our rules.  Thank you.

Reply #2
Hi guys,
I'm relatively new to this and unsure about how to best go about getting an answer so I thought I'd just ask for some help,
I'm looking for a preferably handheld audio recorder that I can use to record multiple sounds and play them back either singularly or simultaneously.
So I could record a short drum riff then loop it and play it back while I record audio/guitar/anything over the top,
Is there anything like this available?

These days we don't record over tracks, we record more tracks next to the tracks we recorded earlier and then play them together, mixed down some how.

The device you are looking for may be something like the Zoom R16, which is a popular device for these purposes. 

In a lower price category are the Zoom H-series of portable recorders (H1-H4). I don't know which if any models of them can record just one track at a time and leave any previous work unmolested.

One way to use a cheaper digital recorder for your purpose would be to use the digital recorder as a data capture device and download whatever you record to a PC that is running any of the easy-to-find and inexpensive multitrack recording/mixing software.  Do your editing and mixing on the PC where a richer UI is generally available.