Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Looking for mp3 editor
JEN
post Sep 12 2003, 10:32
Post #1

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3407

I need to edit some of my mp3 files (cutting and adding 2 seconds of digital silence to the end!) Is this possible?

If it is can anyone tell me how (which software)

Thanks smile.gif
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gambit
post Sep 12 2003, 10:48
Post #2

Burrrn developer

Group: Developer
Member No.: 534

Well, I can't imagine why you would want to add silence to them, but anyway, you should check out mp3DirectCut and mp3Trim.

--------------------
Burrrn - http://www.burrrn.net/
MPEG Audio Collection - http://mac.sourceforge.net/
+Quote Post
JEN
post Sep 12 2003, 10:51
Post #3

QUOTE (Gambit @ Sep 12 2003, 10:48 AM)
Well, I can't imagine why you would want to add silence to them, but anyway, you should check out mp3DirectCut and mp3Trim.

Thanks

I want to add silence to them because my mp3 player seems to want to cut off the last few seconds of all tracks as it tries loading the next track smile.gif
+Quote Post
Gambit
post Sep 12 2003, 10:54
Post #4

Burrrn developer

QUOTE (JEN @ Sep 12 2003, 10:51 AM)
I want to add silence to them because my mp3 player seems to want to cut off the last few seconds of all tracks as it tries loading the next track smile.gif

Then get a better player wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
M
post Sep 12 2003, 12:37
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 830

Hi JEN. Gambit's suggestion is really your best option (what player are you using, anyway? NO player - anymore - should be cutting off the last few seconds of audio!), but if this is still the easiest solution for you to manage, you can accomplish it in the following manner:

1) Create a 2+ second sample of digital silence, and encode it with your preferred command line (silence.mp3). Place "silence.mp3" in the same directory as your other MP3s.

2) Download musiCutter.

3) In musiCutter, click on the "Files to join" tab. Now, in the upper left-hand box of musiCutter, navigate to the directory containing your MP3s. Add the files you want to join, by highlighting them in the upper right-hand panel and clicking on the "Add" button under the "Files to join" tab. When you click on the "Join now!" button, the files will be added in the order shown. (If you want to add silence to each MP3 in your folder, you will have to do this as a separate process for each song.)

musiCutter also has the advantage of being able to keep your existing ID3v1 tags, if present.

Alternately, you can script a batch file to automatically add silence to the end of each existing MP3. In the example below, you first need to rename "silence.mp3" to "silence.add" so that you don't wind up with an extra, all-silence track, and create a subdirectory named "padded" within your existing directory. Note however, that you will have to strip your ID3v1 tags - if present - and re-tag your files after padding for this to work. (ID3v2 tags should be unaffected, since they are present at the beginning of the original MP3s.)

CODE
FOR %%f IN (*.mp3) DO copy /b "%%f"+silence.add "padded/%%f.mp3"

Hope this helps.

- M.
+Quote Post
YinYang
post Sep 12 2003, 12:45
Post #6

Member No.: 45

Another recommendation.

MP3DirectCut
+Quote Post
JEN
post Sep 12 2003, 15:10
Post #7

QUOTE (M @ Sep 12 2003, 12:37 PM)
Hi JEN. Gambit's suggestion is really your best option (what player are you using, anyway? NO player - anymore - should be cutting off the last few seconds of audio!), but if this is still the easiest solution for you to manage, you can accomplish it in the following manner:

1) Create a 2+ second sample of digital silence, and encode it with your preferred command line (silence.mp3). Place "silence.mp3" in the same directory as your other MP3s.

2) Download musiCutter.

3) In musiCutter, click on the "Files to join" tab. Now, in the upper left-hand box of musiCutter, navigate to the directory containing your MP3s. Add the files you want to join, by highlighting them in the upper right-hand panel and clicking on the "Add" button under the "Files to join" tab. When you click on the "Join now!" button, the files will be added in the order shown. (If you want to add silence to each MP3 in your folder, you will have to do this as a separate process for each song.)

musiCutter also has the advantage of being able to keep your existing ID3v1 tags, if present.

Alternately, you can script a batch file to automatically add silence to the end of each existing MP3. In the example below, you first need to rename "silence.mp3" to "silence.add" so that you don't wind up with an extra, all-silence track, and create a subdirectory named "padded" within your existing directory. Note however, that you will have to strip your ID3v1 tags - if present - and re-tag your files after padding for this to work. (ID3v2 tags should be unaffected, since they are present at the beginning of the original MP3s.)

CODE
FOR %%f IN (*.mp3) DO copy /b "%%f"+silence.add "padded/%%f.mp3"

Hope this helps.

- M.

I am using napa mcd380 sad.gif

Whats the best way to create digital silence?
+Quote Post
M
post Sep 12 2003, 15:52
Post #8

QUOTE (JEN @ Sep 12 2003, 09:10 AM)

Already done it for you... if you want to use the example I gave, just encode this sample with your preferred command line, and rename the output to "silence.add".

- M.
+Quote Post
Gambit
post Sep 12 2003, 16:09
Post #9

Burrrn developer

QUOTE (YinYang @ Sep 12 2003, 12:45 PM)
Another recommendation.

MP3DirectCut

You should read before you post, i alredy mentioned it in my post... wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
JEN
post Sep 12 2003, 16:17
Post #10

QUOTE (M @ Sep 12 2003, 03:52 PM)
QUOTE (JEN @ Sep 12 2003, 09:10 AM)

Already done it for you... if you want to use the example I gave, just encode this sample with your preferred command line, and rename the output to "silence.add".

- M.

I did what you said:

Made a batch file with the command line you gave:
FOR %%f IN (*.mp3) DO copy /b "%%f"+silence.add "padded/%%f.mp3".

This copied mp3 files to "padded" with 2 extension "songtitle.mp3.mp3", so I changed it to:
FOR %%f IN (*.mp3) DO copy /b "%%f"+silence.add "padded/%%f"

downloaded the silent wav file
encoded it using --alt-preset standard
created a subdirectory called "padded"
double clicked the batch file
looked in "padded folder" and all the mp3 files had been copied over and were slightly bigger in file size!

However, when I played back 1 of the mp3 files which was originally 3.30 minutes long, the file copied over to "padded" was still 3.30 minutes. I was expecting it to be 3.32 minutes long?

What have I done wrong ???

[EDIT 1 - I also removed all the tags in these mp3 files using the tag frontend!]
[EDIT 2 - The mp3 files I an trying to edit are "32kbps 16000khz stereo and 32kbps 22050khz mono"]

This post has been edited by JEN: Sep 12 2003, 16:26
+Quote Post
M
post Sep 12 2003, 16:29
Post #11

QUOTE (JEN @ Sep 12 2003, 10:17 AM)
However, when I played back 1 of the mp3 files which was originally 3.30 minutes long, the file copied over to "padded" was still 3.30 minutes.  I was expecting it to be 3.32 minutes long?

What have I done wrong ???

Nothing... but since you are using --alt-preset standard the VBR header of each MP3 in your collection has also stored the duration of the songs, and software players which read the duration from the VBR header will not realize the length has changed. You could use vbrfix to correct the durations, but this shouldn't make any difference on your Napa MCD380.

- M.

Edit: Just say your description of the files you are trying to fix. You should always encode digital padding with the same sample rate/channel number/bitrate (if applicable) as the files being padded. Do two separate encodes of the digital silence - one as 32kbps 16000khz stereo, and the other as 32kbps 22050khz mono - and use the appropriate result to pad the files of that bitrate.

This post has been edited by M: Sep 12 2003, 16:33
+Quote Post
JEN
post Sep 12 2003, 16:57
Post #12

I worked biggrin.gif !!!

Thanks
+Quote Post
kuhne
post Aug 23 2004, 03:12
Post #13

Member No.: 15913

QUOTE (JEN @ Sep 12 2003, 01:32 AM)
I need to edit some of my mp3 files (cutting and adding 2 seconds of digital silence to the end!)  Is this possible?

If it is  can anyone tell me how (which software)

Thanks smile.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd September 2014 - 07:29